IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Rangers are currently the second biggest club in Scotland and in terms of resources, they are miles ahead of most of the others in that division. Gerrard finished the 18-19 season 9 points behind Celtic and at the time the Scottish Premiership was finished in March he was 13 points behind Celtic with a game in hand. Not exactly an improvement on his first season.

If he came to us he would have less resources than a number of our rivals, especially those with Prem parachute payments and he would be in a much stronger league.

I don't see what he would bring to us other than his name.

For me, it's just far too much of a risk.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Someone said that £3.5m also includes paying staff too.  I don’t know, just adding for context.

This was a line from the article I was taking from 

Moreover, Bielsa’s support staff are also quids in, with their combined deals costing Leeds a further £50,000-a-week, adding up to £115,000-a-week, or £6million-a-year.

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

Well the club have put their choice "out there now" - Gerrard first choice - Hughton second

Remembering that we are a business to make money now.

Think of how many extra people will come to games because of his appointment

Think of how much merchandise the club will shift with his name / image

There's the extra money covered in no time

If we had 10,000 unsold tickets each match, this might have more effect.  The fact is that we have very few extra tickets to shift in recent seasons.  

Exposure and merchandise could have an impact, but unlikely to the tune of £40k per week.

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Great signing but definitely NOT a punt as Brownhill had Championship experience prior to coming to us. When you look at the amount of money we have spent on lower league or Premier League Academy punts including wages we could have brought in significantly more quality and maybe achieved the aims of the owner...........rather than having a squad of 40+ with nineteen (yes 19) midfield and wide players in it and the likes of Rene Gilmartin who is just a complete and utter waste of a wage, however modest, for a club our size but with our ambitions.

That’s some pretty selective rewriting of history on Brownhill. He’d played 3 games in the championship before we signed him 

1 hour ago, chowie said:

Sources: Billionaire launches extraordinary offer to lure Rangers top earner from Ibrox

By
 Wayne Veysey
 -
21st July 2020 at 7:00am

Bristol City will make one final push to lure Steven Gerrard from Rangers by offering him a deal that would make him the highest-paid manager in the Championship next season, Football Insider understands.

Billionaire owner Steve Lansdown has not given up hope of trying to entice the 40-year-old from Ibrox ahead of the new Scottish campaign starting on 1 August.

A City source has told Football Insider the club are launching an extraordinary offer to Gerrard that would top his £2.5million-a-year Rangers package.

The Liverpool legend signed a new Rangers deal last December that runs until the summer of 2024.

That is equivalent to £50,000-a-week and higher than any Ibrox player under his command.

City are aware they face a huge battle to entice Gerrard as he is firmly fixed on his third season in Glasgow and stopping Celtic marching to 10-in-a-row.

The ambitious Championship club have not given up hope but will look elsewhere if they cannot persuade the Rangers manager by the end of this week.

As revealed by Football Insider, Gerrard has also been approached by Birmingham this summer but he knocked back the Championship outfit.

The highest paid manager currently in the Championship is Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa, who earns around £60,000-a-week.

In terms of wages, compensation and any future termination, it sounds like there's way too much money involved for this to be feasible.

There's also the suggestion that he doesn't want to be here.

There's a lot of doubt about Gerrard's suitability for the role, but bloody hell what an incredible experience it would be to have an English football legend like him leading us to the Premier League. I would love it!

52 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We don't even spend millions on signing good players, we just sign loads of mediocre players and longer term PUNTS that are literally yet to bear any fruit. The only transfer activity we have made significant money on are Academy players and Adam Webster. Not one punt has done anything meaningful that I can think of. Much of Lee Johnson's transfer activity was grossly incompetent in my view when considering we are a medium sized club at this level aiming to reach the play offs and yet it was sanctioned by both CEO (or whatever Ashton is titled) and Owner. Yet again clubs like Brentford, Millwall and Preston North End will out perform us on two thirds of the crowds we get because they are managed better than we are.

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Josh Brownhill? Cost £200k in compensation to PNE, then sold for £9m?

LJ made of mistakes, but just like his positional switch of Reid which netted us £10m for someone we would have gladly released a couple of years before, Brownhill was all down to him.

47 minutes ago, mozo said:

Kalas? Wells? DaSilva? Palmer? 

Nagy is a Hungary international, and Massengo was regarded as a top young French talent and many pundits ( and City fans) were amazed that we managed to sign him.

The problem with these, and a number of other  players is that over the last 12 months particularly, they have lost their way due to LJ's increasingly frustrating selections, formation changes and tactics.

Hopefully the new manager, whoever it is, will be able to get them playing to their potential. I think the midfield needs a bit of sorting, but other than that  this is one of the strongest squads we've had for years - if we play to their strengths.

20 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Negative points;  Phil Collins fan

Being a Phil Collins fan is a huge minus for me. But, to counter that, he doesn't seem to be a racist, so a better shout than John Terry.

Personally, not sold on Gerrard being what we need (that said, I am an awful judge of both players and managers). But I'd give him the benefit of the doubt to show what he actually might be capable of.

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s some pretty selective rewriting of history on Brownhill. He’d played 3 games in the championship before we signed him 

Selective rewriting of history? Are you taking this a bit too seriously? I stand by what I said - Josh Brownhill was a great signing but not a punt.

40 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The only transfer activity we have made significant money on are Academy players and Adam Webster. Not one punt has done anything meaningful that I can think of.

As brownhill has already been mentioned I'd find to hard to argue that we would not make a significant profit on Dasilva if he were to be sold. Eliasson would be another in the same boat. Walsh likely to have increased in value a substantial amount too. 

23 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

This was a line from the article I was taking from 

Moreover, Bielsa’s support staff are also quids in, with their combined deals costing Leeds a further £50,000-a-week, adding up to £115,000-a-week, or £6million-a-year.

Ta for the correction ??

22 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

If we had 10,000 unsold tickets each match, this might have more effect.  The fact is that we have very few extra tickets to shift in recent seasons.  

Exposure and merchandise could have an impact, but unlikely to the tune of £40k per week.

Merchandise probably not much, margins tend to be small.  But Commercial Revenues, most definitely. That’s where the big £s come from.  I don’t how much we could generate but although @Harrygave us the sky tv match amounts, it’s the advertising the club can spin off the back of it.

8 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Can't see us paying 50k a week for Gerrard to come here. Rubbish I think.

I agree, but if it was made up of Half Wages / Half Bonus....it looks distinctly viable.

Just now, JamboBCFC said:

As brownhill has already been mentioned I'd find to hard to argue that we would not make a significant profit on Dasilva if he were to be sold. Eliasson would be another in the same boat. Walsh likely to have increased in value a substantial amount too. 

Elliasson, had he not been mismanaged, would have made us a huge profit a couple of years up the line rather than a good profit in the next transfer window........in my view of course.

Walsh has only done it at League 1 so far. If he shows the same form at Championship level next season then you will be talking otherwise he will be another punt that didn't quite make it. Jury well and truly out on him.

Dasilva - good quality Left Back at our level - remains to be seen whether he can do it in the Premiership.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Selective rewriting of history? Are you taking this a bit too seriously? I stand by what I said - Josh Brownhill was a great signing but not a punt.

I think you’re missing the last part of your line where you said “not a punt as Brownhill had championship experience prior to coming to us”

Unless you’re saying any player who has played 3 games at this level is not a punt your logic is wrong. Nobody’s debating he was a good signing but by the same token, we can’t say he was a sure thing at this level.

Stefan Marinovic has only played 2 less games than Josh at this level. Would you describe him as a punt or a sure thing? If he’d played 3 games can we call him seasoned???

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you’re missing the last part of your line where you said “not a punt as Brownhill had championship experience prior to coming to us”

Unless you’re saying any player who has played 3 games at this level is not a punt your logic is wrong. Nobody’s debating he was a good signing but by the same token, we can’t say he was a sure thing at this level.

Stefan Marinovic has only played 2 less games than Josh at this level. Would you describe him as a punt or a sure thing? If he’d played 3 games can we call him seasoned???

Please don’t mention Marinovics name, the thought of him still gives me chills.

This would be the type of big-name appointment that Derby County would make and we all know how good at getting promoted they have been in the last 10 years or so.

Not for me personally but if it he gets backing in the transfer market then it should be exciting at least.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Clearly he wasn't a seasoned Championship player but we had an idea that he could do it at that level. Unlike many of the punts we buy from league 2 clubs then send on loan to various lower league clubs for three seasons before finding out whether they can do it at Championship level. There is a difference.

For example Liam Walsh has to prove next season that he can do it at Championship level otherwise he is on his bike.

Btw for all of these people quoting me, nobody has highlighted and tried to rinse the bit where I point out that yet again we have been outperformed by Preston, Millwall and Brentford........

Archived