IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Clearly he wasn't a seasoned Championship player but we had an idea that he could do it at that level. Unlike many of the punts we buy from league 2 clubs then send on loan to various lower league clubs for three seasons before finding out whether they can do it at Championship level. There is a difference.

For example Liam Walsh has to prove next season that he can do it at Championship level otherwise he is on his bike.

Btw for all of these people quoting me, nobody has quoted the bit where I point out that yet again we have been outperformed by Preston, Millwall and Brentford........

Walsh was bought as “ready” 2.5 years ago!!

Of course LJ might just have been spinning it.

image.thumb.png.758b867bf51553fc5a8ae45e0d7a697d.png

12 minutes ago, Gifford said:

I want someone who has taken a mid table team to the premier league. Anyone else need not apply.

In that case, you had better make SL an offer to buy the Club. Whether you, or anyone else on here like it, SL will appoint whoever he thinks is the best candidate for the job, and with uncertainty over next season, affordability will be a factor. As supporters, we have to accept his decision and support the new manager. At the end of the day, no appointment comes with any guarantees.

Do any of the current top 6 have a manager who fits your limited criteria?

If Steve Lansdown has good, solid reasoning for preferring Gerrard such as he's spoken to the guy and likes what he has to say and it aligns with his vision for the club then I will go with that. If he's simply after a name then yet again you have to question the judgement when it comes to appointing a Manager.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Clearly he wasn't a seasoned Championship player but we had an idea that he could do it at that level. Unlike many of the punts we buy from league 2 clubs then send on loan to various lower league clubs for three seasons before finding out whether they can do it at Championship level. There is a difference.

For example Liam Walsh has to prove next season that he can do it at Championship level otherwise he is on his bike.

Btw for all of these people quoting me, nobody has quoted the bit where I point out that yet again we have been outperformed by Preston, Millwall and Brentford........

At what point of Joshs 58 minutes across 3 sub appearances at this level prior to us signing him did you garner the idea he could do it?

Mate. He had played at league one level. He was a punt at this level. Walsh is arguably less of a punt as he’s performed better at L1 level (POTY at a title winning side) and had shown (Stoke) he can do it at this level - whether he can consistently we don’t know but we have at least if not more of an idea than Josh that he has the ability at champ level.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Walsh was bought as “ready” 2.5 years ago!!

Of course LJ might just have been spinning it.

image.thumb.png.758b867bf51553fc5a8ae45e0d7a697d.png

A lot of what LJ said was spin - runs in the family. You should read what Darragh McAnthony at Peterborough says about father Johnson in his book

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

"Hi, Jurgen? Yeah, sorry mate but you don't meet the criteria we're looking for, so it's a no this time. Oh, and congratulations on the title"

It is more than probable that if we signed Klopp he would flop . Can you imagine the turmoil in his head after doing what he’s done for Liverpool to find himself at Ashton Gate with all our magnificent history ? 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you’re missing the last part of your line where you said “not a punt as Brownhill had championship experience prior to coming to us”

Unless you’re saying any player who has played 3 games at this level is not a punt your logic is wrong. Nobody’s debating he was a good signing but by the same token, we can’t say he was a sure thing at this level.

Stefan Marinovic has only played 2 less games than Josh at this level. Would you describe him as a punt or a sure thing? If he’d played 3 games can we call him seasoned???

Brownhill was much much less of a punt because Johnson had coached him before, knew him in a way you can never know a lad buying him without having coached him previously, and knew he was a good 'un, never going to be a wrong 'un. 

Taken from a Rangers forum. It sounds familiar to me!

Right now imo he's not a good manager, his man management is all over the place, too quick to throw players under the bus, tactically inept and can't motivate players for bread and butter domestic games,record against utter shite like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock is embarrassing

6 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Right now imo he's not a good manager, his man management is all over the place, too quick to throw players under the bus, tactically inept and can't motivate players for bread and butter domestic games,record against utter shite like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock is embarrassing

I'd question what Rangers fans say, severe sense of entitlement that they should be battling it out with Celtic regardless. Would be interested to actually know what their budget is in comparison to the likes of Aberdeen/Kilmarnock, no doubt would be higher but interested by how much.

22 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Right now imo he's not a good manager, his man management is all over the place, too quick to throw players under the bus

That’s just a copy and paste from our forum !!

22 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I'd question what Rangers fans say, severe sense of entitlement that they should be battling it out with Celtic regardless. Would be interested to actually know what their budget is in comparison to the likes of Aberdeen/Kilmarnock, no doubt would be higher but interested by how much.

My father-in-law is a Rangers fan. He's 50/50 on Gerrard. He's broadly happy with the tactics and style of play, and appreciates what he's done in getting them back to at least competing with Celtic, but in the same breath says that if they don't get a trophy in 20/21 then he'd drive Gerrard to Ashton Gate himself. He's also always been slightly peeved at the idea that Gerrard is using grand old Glasgow Rangers as a stepping stone to the next stage in his career. At the end of the day though they are all just desperate to break Celtic's stranglehold on the Scottish game. Is that entitlement? Perhaps it is. Personally I use the word "expectation" to keep the old man sweet!

To be fair I think Rangers is a much more difficult job than the city job. 

They are a much bigger club than us with fans used to winning things. They are expected to win every week, that is never going to be the case here. If he took us up he would be an instant club legend.

Celtic currently have a much better squad and a lot more money than Rangers. I honestly think the best any manager could do at Rangers is get second currently, which Gerrard has done.  

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The article fails to mention that Gerrard, his agent and Rangers have still not yet denied the link.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It's comments like those that make me want this to happen that little bit more...

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

EFL should be scrutinising things closely...

I am sure you have covered this in your amazing FFP thread @Mr Popodopolous, but how have Derby got away with the Rooney payments from the betting company? Does he do a certain amount of smooshing for them or something?

Archived