IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

7 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

Yes. You are of course right though I have had abysmal luck in getting it to work when I have occasionally bought it and have given up on it. 

I meant legitimate TV coverage. There is none of the championship available in Thailand as far as I am aware. I can and do watch live streams of City when available but that's probably no more than 5 times a season when we are shown on Bein in some territories. 

In any event, the post I was responding to suggested that international media rights for the championship were substantially greater than for the Scottish premier league and the point I was trying to make (badly it seems) is that I doubt that they amount to much for either of them. 

I feel your pain.  International TV rights for the championship are ******. Living in Canada paying Robin TV and DAZN, still means I miss games.  If DAZN decides not to show our game (mostly they don't), I am miss games.  E

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

At what point of Joshs 58 minutes across 3 sub appearances at this level prior to us signing him did you garner the idea he could do it?

Mate. He had played at league one level. He was a punt at this level. Walsh is arguably less of a punt as he’s performed better at L1 level (POTY at a title winning side) and had shown (Stoke) he can do it at this level - whether he can consistently we don’t know but we have at least if not more of an idea than Josh that he has the ability at champ level.

We can debate whether Josh Brownhill was a punt or not all day long but I sincerely hope that club policy goes away from the currently mental situation where we have 19 midfield players on the books in the hope that 4-5 of them come good and invest that money in say two players of higher quality with the odd punt thrown in here and there. I actually hold Mark Ashton and Steve Lansdown responsible for apparently allowing such a situation to occur when just up the road Brentford are literally showing us how a Championship club "on a budget" can not only be top 6 but play some beautiful attacking football with it.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Perhaps as part of the compensation package, we will offer them a pre-season friendly.  At their place of course. 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He deserves some credit. But I still would not say he's appeared to be anything special so far in his management career. 

Well certainly not to spend that sort of money on. If the debate was about getting Gerrard with no compensation pay out on LJ kind of wages then that's completely different.

Huge gamble imo. And I can only see his appointment meaning he will be backed. Which i know most fans want, but for me that is worrying too.

What if it was £1.25m wages / £1.25m if promoted?

It is a gamble.

I doubt Hughton would be asking for anything less btw.

He’s not my no1 choice either, not by a long stretch, but his Euro success is not bog standard either. They had 14 more games last season / 17 this season with 1 to come to fit in too.  That knocks on into league too  

In an aside I don’t think our Cup defeat to Shrewsbury did LJ any favours when our form slumped towards the covid break. 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

I wasn't too bothered about Gerrard until now. He has just become my favoured choice just due to the sheer arrogance of that viewpoint!

3 hours ago, SimonL said:

Taken from a Rangers forum. It sounds familiar to me!

Right now imo he's not a good manager, his man management is all over the place, too quick to throw players under the bus, tactically inept and can't motivate players for bread and butter domestic games,record against utter shite like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock is embarrassing

So Johnson with a scouse accent then? 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Houghton will want similar i'm sure. But he is of a higher standard manager from what we've seen so far. Of course that can change. But Houghton is proven.

I don't want Houghton either to be honest.

Who do you want then?

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What if it was £1.25m wages / £1.25m if promoted?

It is a gamble.

I doubt Hughton would be asking for anything less btw.

He’s not my no1 choice either, not by a long stretch, but his Euro success is not bog standard either. They had 14 more games last season / 17 this season with 1 to come to fit in too.  That knocks on into league too  

In an aside I don’t think our Cup defeat to Shrewsbury did LJ any favours when our form slumped towards the covid break. 

Definitely. I said at the time, as did others, that it wouldn't have gone down well given the reward if we'd got through.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure you have covered this in your amazing FFP thread @Mr Popodopolous, but how have Derby got away with the Rooney payments from the betting company? Does he do a certain amount of smooshing for them or something?

Think 32Red increased their sponsorship of the club by the same amount of the rest of Rooney's contract

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Definitely. I said at the time, as did others, that it wouldn't have gone down well given the reward if we'd got through.

True. If you put the defeat at Shrewsbury and missing out on Liverpool down to “concentrating on the league”, if you then fail in the league you risk giving the owner the right hump.

8 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

It looks like the difference is quite stark. From a quick web search (so caveats etc):

EFL including L1 and L2 earns £52m from overseas tv rights per season.

And SPL earns £2m.

That's pretty amazing!

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/efl-seeks-advisors-to-assess-international-rights-strategy/

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/spfls-new-international-tv-deal-15786354

Thanks. Very interesting the difference between EFL and the SPL. Even so, 52 million divided between all the clubs in the EFL is peanuts even if we get Leeds style coverage. I am still sceptical that a Gerrard appointment will bring in significant revenue compared to the riches resulting from promotion to the Premier League. If we're purely interested in money and success*, appointing the candidate with the best shot at promotion should be the priority and I'm dubious that that would be Gerrard. 

*I'd hope we are giving equal weight to the style of football a coach is likely to bring and I'm not convinced Gerrard is the best man for the job based on that criteria either. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure you have covered this in your amazing FFP thread @Mr Popodopolous, but how have Derby got away with the Rooney payments from the betting company? Does he do a certain amount of smooshing for them or something?

The way I read it, Derby's sponsor ( Bet32?) have effectively sponsored/increased their sponsorship deal for/by £100,000 per week, which is conveniently WR's salary and 32 is his shirt number.

Unless Bet32 are a company owned by Derby's owner(s) then under ffp that £5.2m pa would be legitimate commercial income from a genuine third party sponsor and would be allowable income. As a result Rooney's deal is self financing.

As regards a player "smooshing" for a sponsor, I suspect players at all clubs do a bit of publicity/promotional work for the club's main sponsors as part of the sponsorship deal and there is nothing towards in that. 

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I never realised 'ee was an MBE until I just googled him to check out his career stats. 

Let's hope MBE doesn't stand for Massive Bell End, eh

Isn't that eeerrrmbe? :) 

21 minutes ago, Coppello said:

They went to school together and played football together as kids. Both ended up managing in Sweden at the same time and also managed City!

And I thought me and my mate both sleeping with the same girl was a good achievement 

43 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The way I read it, Derby's sponsor ( Bet32?) have effectively sponsored/increased their sponsorship deal for/by £100,000 per week, which is conveniently WR's salary and 32 is his shirt number.

Unless Bet32 are a company owned by Derby's owner(s) then under ffp that £5.2m pa would be legitimate commercial income from a genuine third party sponsor and would be allowable income. As a result Rooney's deal is self financing.

As regards a player "smooshing" for a sponsor, I suspect players at all clubs do a bit of publicity/promotional work for the club's main sponsors as part of the sponsorship deal and there is nothing towards in that. 

I think that is exactly what they’ve done.

Archived