IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

That's where those crappy TR7's were built. Don't bring that up or we'll get on to cars next.

You did bring it up soooo, if only they were never built in Speke, launched the convertible same time as the roadster and factory produced the TR7 Sprint (16v). Oh well.

34 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep.

Had a TR6 and loved it.

Then a Stag with 3.5 Rover engine - after the original blew up.

Happy days.

Anyway, Gerrard is a pipe dream Steve - move on.

There is no way that He is leaving Rangers except for a PL job as a steppingstone to Liverpool.

Ryan Lowe will get the job.

Heaven help us LG 1.2.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I think Houghton would be able to inspire just as well, after all being managed by Jack Charlton for Ireland and Dalglish at Liverpool he has a great pedigree. 

Hueton didn't play for Liverpool but I do agree he will inspire also. I just think Stevie G will inspire the team more. He's a winner 

3 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I don’t know what I believe anymore. 
so far this week it’s been Hughton, Hughton Gerrard Lowe, Pearson, Cook , Lowe . My heads a pickled mess. 

Trumpton Fire Brigade!

21 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I don’t know what I believe anymore. 
so far this week it’s been Gerrard, Hughton Cowleys, Cook Gerrard, Hughton, Gerrard Lowe. My heads a pickled mess. 

I meant don’t believe the hype about the £50k per week salary. It’s sensationalist reporting. 

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

I meant don’t believe the hype about the £50k per week salary. It’s sensationalist reporting. 

He won’t be cheap Har, if he’s the man they definitely want i think he will cost big money 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

I would guess he's on half that. Maybe £20 - 25k p/w, plus bonuses.

But can you see us stumping up compensation? How much would Rangers want?

1 minute ago, ChubStixx said:

Maybe through the agent links, we’ve found out about some kind of release clause? It would help make the finances stack up?

Just now, ChubStixx said:

Also is he that worried about about a potential 20 - 25 k payrise? He is a millionaire many times over from his playing days where he would have been on £150 - 200k for the best part of 10 years so the difference in pay as a manager between us and Rangers is not really as lucrative as it would be to a young up and coming manager, I would think his motivation would be "the project"  and the resources we are willing to commit to allow him to achieve a promotion.

3 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

If it's true that we are after Gerrard, surely we would have taken into account the amount of compensation due to Rangers before starting the chase. Would be madness to get this far without already factoring that in? 

6 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Also is he that worried about about a potential 20 - 25 k payrise? He is a millionaire many times over from his playing days where he would have been on £150 - 200k for the best part of 10 years so the difference in pay as a manager between us and Rangers is not really as lucrative as it would be to a young up and coming manager, I would think his motivation would be "the project"  and the resources we are willing to commit to allow him to achieve a promotion.

This!! And a stepping stone to Liverpool. Way I see it long term that’s the job he wants. That’s 3/4 maybe even 5 years away. What would Look better on his CV 4 years of chasing Celtic and the odd europa league run or taking us up and hopefully establishing us as a premier league team.

39 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He won’t be cheap Har, if he’s the man they definitely want i think he will cost big money 

Absolutely mate. I said back on about page 4 that this ain’t a cheap option. 
But journo’s have thrown around a £50k per week salary with no evidence. 
I’m led to believe he’s closer to £1m per year with up to £2.5m as incentives (win cup, euro progression etc). 

So the journo’s who are now throwing around “City to pay more than Rangers” are basing this on a £50k pw wage, not the £20k pw which is closer to his actual basic. 

For context, Hughton, I’d heard, was looking for £1.2m (£23k pw). I’d guess SL would be willing to pay a bit more for a younger man more ‘suited’ to his project, but there’s absolutely no way in the world he’s offering £50k basic. 
It’s lazy journo’s making a salary comparison out of other lazy journo’s who’d previously reported his rangers wage. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m led to believe he’s closer to £1m per year with up to £2.5m as incentives (win cup, euro progression etc). 

So the journo’s who are now throwing around “City to pay more than Rangers” are basing this on a £50k pw wage, not the £20k pw which is closer to his actual basic. 

For context, Hughton, I’d heard, was looking for £1.2m (£23k pw). I’d guess SL would be willing to pay a bit more for a younger man more ‘suited’ to his project, but there’s absolutely no way in the world he’s offering £50k basic. 
It’s lazy journo’s making a salary comparison out of other lazy journo’s who’d previously reported his rangers wage. 

For the right person the money won’t be an issue.

28 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

This!! And a stepping stone to Liverpool. Way I see it long term that’s the job he wants. That’s 3/4 maybe even 5 years away. What would Look better on his CV 4 years of chasing Celtic and the odd europa league run or taking us up and hopefully establishing us as a premier league team.

I think it’s nailed on that Gerrard will be the next Liverpool manager in around four years if he can prove himself somewhere else in the meantime ...

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

And lazy people on here believing it without question.

43 minutes ago, SBB said:

Maybe through the agent links, we’ve found out about some kind of release clause? It would help make the finances stack up?

Possibly kicks in at the end of this season for a set time, which for them is after they’re knocked out of Europe. COYR 

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it’s nailed on that Gerrard will be the next Liverpool manager in around four years if he can prove himself somewhere else in the meantime ...

And here’s a thought - which I have no doubt also entered Gerrards mind.

Around 30 years ago, a legendary ex Liverpool midfielder took over the club when they were undoubtedly one of the best sides in the top flight, and had won the title as recently as the prior season. That ex midfielder had proven his worth at Rangers with multiple trophy wins.

It was a disaster. And ended by us.

The parallels between Gerrard and Souness are there currently. Gerrard knows this. He knows Liverpool’s history. And that’s why being with Rangers alone will be reason not to appoint him at Liverpool.  The last manager to do it knew Liverpool and had won big at Rangers - Gerrard can’t do the latter to the same extent with Celtics strength.

He needs another job before Klopp goes (slated as 2024 per contract IIRC). So he will move - either this summer or next - to try and facilitate his endgame.

His only question is whether there will be a better bet than us in 12 months time. I can though, the more I think about it and his ultimate aim, see why he’s not blown us out.

18 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Think Gerrard will stay Rangers as he wants to make history there. The manager who failed to stop Celtic getting 10 11 12 13 in a row ??

The more I weigh this up the more crazy this sounds.

For me go and get Hughton, he won't cost as much in wages and compensation, he has the experience of getting teams up and keeping them there, Gerrard has achieved nothing yet as a manager.

Hughton seemingly wants the job and will progress this team.  Gerrard does bring razzmatazz but also media focus, good and bad, if he has any success here he will be off in a flash.

Gerrard is a far riskier choice with less benefits.

57 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know Klopp's contract runs til 2024 but I think if he wins another Premier League or Champions League before then he may walk and take the sabbatical he wanted before taking the Liverpool job. He's already won the 2 biggest prizes for Liverpool, backing them up just cements his legacy. Could easily see Lijnders take over after him trying to keep the same style about the club. 

56 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And here’s a thought - which I have no doubt also entered Gerrards mind.

Around 30 years ago, a legendary ex Liverpool midfielder took over the club when they were undoubtedly one of the best sides in the top flight, and had won the title as recently as the prior season. That ex midfielder had proven his worth at Rangers with multiple trophy wins.

It was a disaster. And ended by us.

The parallels between Gerrard and Souness are there currently. Gerrard knows this. He knows Liverpool’s history. And that’s why being with Rangers alone will be reason not to appoint him at Liverpool.  The last manager to do it knew Liverpool and had won big at Rangers - Gerrard can’t do the latter to the same extent with Celtics strength.

He needs another job before Klopp goes (slated as 2024 per contract IIRC). So he will move - either this summer or next - to try and facilitate his endgame.

His only question is whether there will be a better bet than us in 12 months time. I can though, the more I think about it and his ultimate aim, see why he’s not blown us out.

Clubs who just appoint former greats as manager, as in greats who played for them...deserve all they get, which is usually not glorious success.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That would be an emotional decision. How do you define "prove himself?"

Archived