IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I’m not in the know , I do not know , but maybe I know . But there is definitely an announcement coming soon . Gerrard can happen . 

the club are negotiating of course and have their targets now . But like a player transfer does not mean it will happen . Things go wrong and change . 

good news is , we are not hiring the coach who had multiple promotions , Ian Holloway 

the only people who really know are SL , JL and MA . But they are homing in . That I do know . 

plus .. when did we ever have the quality of applicants we have now ? 

How do you know they are homing in?

The board need to drop this mess right now if there is any truth in it. There is a manager with a wealth of knowledge, solid tactics and great experience in the Championship who is reported to be interested and we're chasing a man who hasn't actually done anything in Scotland worth noting. 

If I were Hughton and I saw that we were after Gerrard and Terry instead of me I'd be insulted. If the board fail with Gerrard and then settle for Terry over Hughton I honestly cannot understand their logic or reasoning. 

7 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

The more I weigh this up the more crazy this sounds.

For me go and get Hughton, he won't cost as much in wages and compensation, he has the experience of getting teams up and keeping them there, Gerrard has achieved nothing yet as a manager.

Hughton seemingly wants the job and will progress this team.  Gerrard does bring razzmatazz but also media focus, good and bad, if he has any success here he will be off in a flash.

Gerrard is a far riskier choice with less benefits.

Let’s just all admit we are common people and be done with it... 

I know these points have been raised before on OTIB but just a reminder:

a) any manager who is proven was initially unproven at the club at which they first proved themselves 

b) it is not a foregone conclusion that proven managers will be able to prove themselves again at a different club 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

The board need to drop this mess right now if there is any truth in it. There is a manager with a wealth of knowledge, solid tactics and great experience in the Championship who is reported to be interested and we're chasing a man who hasn't actually done anything in Scotland worth noting. 

If I were Hughton and I saw that we were after Gerrard and Terry instead of me I'd be insulted. If the board fail with Gerrard and then settle for Terry over Hughton I honestly cannot understand their logic or reasoning. 

If I were Ryan Lowe and I saw that I got the job ahead of a field that included Gerrard, Hughton and Terry I’d be delighted.. it’s the rest of us who will be left feeling insulted. 

Obviously hope this doesn’t happen but this is Bristol City... who knows perhaps COVID has changed the owners perspective on life in general and perhaps there will be a ‘new normal’ going forward... we can dream ?

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I’m not in the know , I do not know , but maybe I know . But there is definitely an announcement coming soon . Gerrard can happen . 

the club are negotiating of course and have their targets now . But like a player transfer does not mean it will happen . Things go wrong and change . 

good news is , we are not hiring the coach who had multiple promotions , Ian Holloway 

the only people who really know are SL , JL and MA . But they are homing in . That I do know . 

plus .. when did we ever have the quality of applicants we have now ? 

Quality of applicants? Chris Hughton agreed. Gerrard, did he even apply? Where’s the quality after that? Lee Bowyer, solid applicant who is capable of doing the job no doubt but would you describe him as quality? Ryan Lowe? Mike Flynn? Would you call them “quality”?

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Quality of applicants? Chris Hughton agreed. Gerrard, did he even apply? Where’s the quality after that? Lee Bowyer, solid applicant who is capable of doing the job no doubt but would you describe him as quality? Ryan Lowe? Mike Flynn? Would you call them “quality”?

Mick McCarthy presumably applied, based on the fact that the media were quickly made aware of his “interest”.

Plus as he looks like he’s getting the Brum job, I reckon Aitor Karanka probably has, too.

We don’t know who else has, but if as now appears to be likely, we haven’t seriously considered a manager who has won the Championship title (twice), qualified for a World Cup & the Euros playoffs, it is a reasonable assumption to make that there were quality applicants.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Gerrard would be a marketing appointment as much as a managerial one in my opinion. He would raise the profile of the club and find us a new fan base.

As well as potentially generating more money into the club I would guess Gerrard’s salary expectations and transfer budget to be less than Hughton given his lack on experience out of the two.

For me it’s quite a simple choice about what Lansdown wants. If it’s a genuine promotion attempt and and he is willing to back it financially then it’s Hughton. If it’s about raising our profile and generating more income, and hoping for a promotion bid, then it’s Gerrard.

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

And here’s a thought - which I have no doubt also entered Gerrards mind.

Around 30 years ago, a legendary ex Liverpool midfielder took over the club when they were undoubtedly one of the best sides in the top flight, and had won the title as recently as the prior season. That ex midfielder had proven his worth at Rangers with multiple trophy wins.

It was a disaster. And ended by us.

The parallels between Gerrard and Souness are there currently. Gerrard knows this. He knows Liverpool’s history. And that’s why being with Rangers alone will be reason not to appoint him at Liverpool.  The last manager to do it knew Liverpool and had won big at Rangers - Gerrard can’t do the latter to the same extent with Celtics strength.

He needs another job before Klopp goes (slated as 2024 per contract IIRC). So he will move - either this summer or next - to try and facilitate his endgame.

His only question is whether there will be a better bet than us in 12 months time. I can though, the more I think about it and his ultimate aim, see why he’s not blown us out.

How often do Liverpool look to coaches/managers that deliver promotion to the PL/top division to fill their vacancy? 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

To get back to the important part of this topic, I.e the spelling of the candidates name.

I cannot believe that this forum of all forums has forgotten the key question that defines a successful manager........

How tall is he?

You mock, but name another manager as vertically challenged as Lee? Or even more challenged?

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

if stevie G took the job he will want big money to spend on players . i would say 30m. will that be available to him. i doubt it. 

I have a feeling that if Gerrard is the top target the clubs plan will be to bring in players on loan from premiership clubs (a bit like Derby under Lampard) , reduce outgoings through paying a loan fee and percentage of wages hence can potentially pay Gerrard more. It’s a risky approach because if it doesn’t work you’ll have Gerrard on a hefty salary with a three year contract plus loan players returning to their clubs 

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Angus weighing it up...

Also, to play devils advocaat, Hughton will cost more. If it’s true that he wants control of transfers we’ll see less players brought in for the future, more players brought in for now, with less resell potential. Whereas Gerrard will bring money in immediately on a commercial level, as well as cost less as he will play youth etc. 

29 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You mock, but name another manager as vertically challenged as Lee? Or even more challenged?

A quick bit of googling tells me that both Gordon Strachan and Dennis Wise are they same height and Billy Davies is 1 inch shorter. 

8 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That would be an emotional decision. How do you define "prove himself?"

By ‘prove himself’ I meant Gerrard needs to take a more challenging job than the one he’s got at Rangers - if he could improve a club in the championship and show he can develop players and motivate a squad to make real progress then I will be more convinced he can be trusted at the helm of Liverpool in four or five years time 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

By ‘prove himself’ I meant Gerrard needs to take a more challenging job than the one he’s got at Rangers - if he could improve a club in the championship and show he can develop players and motivate a squad to make real progress then I will be more convinced he can be trusted at the helm of Liverpool in four or five years time 

Get's us promoted and then we beat Liverpool home and away in our inaugural season, that would do it. :) 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

if stevie G took the job he will want big money to spend on players . i would say 30m. will that be available to him. i doubt it. 

If Chris Hughton took the job he will want big money to spend on players. 
His successes in this division have come with either parachute payments or a club ‘going for broke’ with big spend and big salary. 
Yes, he’s been there and done it at this level, but with money. 
Of the two candidates, I would say Hughton would be the one asking for bigger funds. 

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Get's us promoted and then we beat Liverpool home and away in our inaugural season, that would do it. :) 

Sounds ideal and almost possible. Lets go for a home win and a draw away against Liverpool in 2021/22. 

COYR

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

If Chris Hughton took the job he will want big money to spend on players. 
His successes in this division have come with either parachute payments or a club ‘going for broke’ with big spend and big salary. 
Yes, he’s been there and done it at this level, but with money. 
Of the two candidates, I would say Hughton would be the one asking for bigger funds. 

Where is the evidence for him spending big? Or any bigger than how we’ve been spending these last 2 years? Hughton made some clever signings in the summer before Brighton were promoted to Prem. He signed Shane Duffy from Blackburn for 4 million, Knockaert from Standard Liege for £3 million. He also found Hemed for £1.2 million from LaLiga 2, and also picked up some clever free transfers in the champ like Bobby Zamora, Rosenior, Bong, Sidwell. Bloke has an eye for good signings that won’t break the bank. He only actually spent big when they got to the Prem which obviously is fine within reason

Just now, Kingswoodactor said:

Where is the evidence for him spending big? Or any bigger than how we’ve been spending these last 2 years? Hughton made some clever signings in the summer before Brighton were promoted to Prem. He signed Shane Duffy from Blackburn for 4 million, Knockaert from Standard Liege for £3 million. He also found Hemed for £1.2 million from LaLiga 2, and also picked up some clever free transfers in the champ like Bobby Zamora, Rosenior, Bong, Sidwell. Bloke has an eye for good signings that won’t break the bank. He only actually spent big when they got to the Prem which obviously is fine within reason

there isn't, 

He didn't spend that big at Norwich ether did he?

5 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Wages would have been huge on all of them - Knockaert, Zamora and Sidwell especially. 

23 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Tells us nothing we don’t already know 

No, it's only his take on it, which I think most of us think too. I only shared it because he's a celeb fan and thought one or two might be interested. 

Archived