IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

39 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Also, to play devils advocaat, Hughton will cost more. If it’s true that he wants control of transfers we’ll see less players brought in for the future, more players brought in for now, with less resell potential. Whereas Gerrard will bring money in immediately on a commercial level, as well as cost less as he will play youth etc. 

Devil’s advocaat?  I think I had a few glasses of that on a night out in Amsterdam once...

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Devil’s advocaat?  I think I had a few glasses of that on a night out in Amsterdam once...

He didn't last long at Sunderland but had a good stint with Dutch national team...

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

By ‘prove himself’ I meant Gerrard needs to take a more challenging job than the one he’s got at Rangers - if he could improve a club in the championship and show he can develop players and motivate a squad to make real progress then I will be more convinced he can be trusted at the helm of Liverpool in four or five years time 

Like Lampard, I think if they were looking for a new manager, he will get the job on trust, purely due to the legend status he has with the fans. Though a lot depends on how Klopp follows up this season. He could be Liverpool's Ferguson and be there another 20 years and bring them huge success.

Did Lampard really do anything at Derby to deserve an immediate hike up the ranks to be in charge of one of the biggest clubs in world football? Not in my opinion, but he got the job because of who he was and not what he did. 

9 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

Pursuits like this always seem to lead to disappointment for us, but if you don't try...

Think I'd prefer CH myself though.

Nah second choice Robbie Fowler my money is on 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Mick McCarthy presumably applied, based on the fact that the media were quickly made aware of his “interest”.

Plus as he looks like he’s getting the Brum job, I reckon Aitor Karanka probably has, too.

We don’t know who else has, but if as now appears to be likely, we haven’t seriously considered a manager who has won the Championship title (twice), qualified for a World Cup & the Euros playoffs, it is a reasonable assumption to make that there were quality applicants.

If Mick McCarthy, a manager you correctly state has won the Championship title twice, kept an Ipswich team in the Championship for years on a budget that even the Blue Few Manager would be moaning about, qualified for a World Cup and reached a Euro's play off with a very limited Ireland team, did apply for our job it would be interesting to know why he was unable to make the apparent "final four" shortlist behind Ryan Lowe and Lee Bowyer.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Like Lampard, I think if they were looking for a new manager, he will get the job on trust, purely due to the legend status he has with the fans. Though a lot depends on how Klopp follows up this season. He could be Liverpool's Ferguson and be there another 20 years and bring them huge success.

Did Lampard really do anything at Derby to deserve an immediate hike up the ranks to be in charge of one of the biggest clubs in world football? Not in my opinion, but he got the job because of who he was and not what he did. 

At 53, twenty years is unlikely. At a guess from one or two comments I've read, Klopp may only want four/five years more.

Gerrard needs two to three in a tough league before going back to Liverpool as number two for a period before a seamless move to number one.

29 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Wages would have been huge on all of them - Knockaert, Zamora and Sidwell especially. 

Yeah but my point being, were their wages at the time back in 2016, any more than we've paid in the past for players like David James, Gary ONeil? Or this season with players like Kalas, Afobe. Sure Benkovic wont have been cheap either. 

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Yeah but my point being, were their wages at the time back in 2016, any more than we've paid in the past for players like David James, Gary ONeil? Or this season with players like Kalas, Afobe. Sure Benkovic wont have been cheap either. 

Or simply add up the wages of the totally "wasted" players in our squad, ones who have done alright (nothing more) when loaned out to league 2, are literally 15th choice substitute in the pecking order and who will NEVER play for us at Championship level, and that will give you a decent player or two that you can bring in.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

At 53, twenty years is unlikely. At a guess from one or two comments I've read, Klopp may only want four/five years more.

Gerrard needs two to three in a tough league before going back to Liverpool as number two for a period before a seamless move to number one.

I thought Klopp was a bit younger than that! Must be that infectious smile...!

I agree, I think Lampard got the job far too soon, after a fairly average spell with Derby, though he is doing a good job so it's not to say it wouldn't work out. 

44 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Wages would have been huge on all of them - Knockaert, Zamora and Sidwell especially. 

It was well known in Sussex that Brighton had a salary cap for themselves in the champioship, wages no bigger than what we are paying..

21 minutes ago, Lez said:

I personally would be happy with Mick Mccarthey.

I really rate McCarthy as a manager but it comes down to the same concern as I have with Hughton - albeit even more so in McCarthy's case - which is that we've had an entire season of our team underperforming when asked to play in a rigid tactical system which emphasises the players weaknesses but doesn't utilise the players strengths. And then we've looked our best recently in the games such as Boro (and, even though we drew, the first half against Stoke) where we've played in a much more fluid way and players have been able to get on with what they do well.

McCarthy tends to favour a very rigid tactical system whereas we have full-backs that play better as wing-backs, wide players that aren't really out and out wingers, Diedhiou is a slightly unconventional target man and Wells drops deep quite a lot for an out and out striker. Short of jettisoning the whole squad and starting over - which would be a daft thing to do given there is talent coming through - I think we need a manager who will get the best out of players available and not one who will try to mould the players to a fit a very precise system and way of playing when it is not to their strengths.

McCarthy is a good manager who is very underrated and there are clubs where I'd say he would do a great job (i think he'd work at Cardiff, for example and Preston could do far worse if they lost Alex Neil, for example). But I just don't think he is the right person to get the best out of the players we have. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really rate McCarthy as a manager but it comes down to the same concern as I have with Hughton - albeit even more so in McCarthy's case - which is that we've had an entire season of our team underperforming when asked to play in a rigid tactical system which emphasises the players weaknesses but doesn't utilise the players strengths. And then we've looked our best recently in the games such as Boro (and, even though we drew, the first half against Stoke) where we've played in a much more fluid way and players have been able to get on with what they do well.

McCarthy tends to favour a very rigid tactical system whereas we have full-backs that play better as wing-backs, wide players that aren't really out and out wingers, Diedhiou is a slightly unconventional target man and Wells drops deep quite a lot for an out and out striker. Short of jettisoning the whole squad and starting over - which would be a daft thing to do given there is talent coming through - I think we need a manager who will get out of players available and not one who will try to mould the players to a fit a very precise system and way of playing when it is not to their strengths.

McCarthy is a good manager who is very underrated and there are clubs where I'd say he would do a great job (i think he'd work at Cardiff, for example and Preston could do far worse if they lost Alex Neil, for example). But I just don't think he is the right person to get the best out of the players we have. 

Yeah but if he’s leaving his wife to be with Lez, has he got the right DNA?

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If Mick McCarthy, a manager you correctly state has won the Championship title twice, kept an Ipswich team in the Championship for years on a budget that even the Blue Few Manager would be moaning about, qualified for a World Cup and reached a Euro's play off with a very limited Ireland team, did apply for our job it would be interesting to know why he was unable to make the apparent "final four" shortlist behind Ryan Lowe and Lee Bowyer.

My guess (and of course it is only a guess) is that he really doesn’t fit the model we have with Ashton’s involvement in transfers.

McCarthy has been around long enough to know how it all works, the fact that the media reported almost as soon as LJ left that he was interested, suggests to me that he was.

That he hasn’t featured in any links since, also suggests that we weren’t.

11 minutes ago, M.D said:

It was well known in Sussex that Brighton had a salary cap for themselves in the champioship, wages no bigger than what we are paying..

Not true at all.

Our wage budget was £17.9m in the season they went up.  Theirs was £40.0m, plus they had £9.0m in promotion “costs”.

Their turnover was £29m vs ours of £14.3 

Hughton isn’t necessarily a “cheaper” option than Gerrard, but we are all subjectively speculating so much about all of the candidates from

• he’ll want too high wages
  • he’ll want £30m for transfers
  • he’ll play x system
  • etc

It’s a forum so nobody is doing anything wrong, but it is interesting to see certain statements as fact that aren’t fact. ?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess (and of course it is only a guess) is that he really doesn’t fit the model we have with Ashton’s involvement in transfers.

McCarthy has been around long enough to know how it all works, the fact that the media reported almost as soon as LJ left that he was interested, suggests to me that he was.

That he hasn’t featured in any links since, also suggests that we weren’t.

Lansdown still hopes to persuade Stevie G to join. Doing everything he can.  He sent him a puppy yesterday.

A Houghton or McCarthy type would be the most sensible choice if we were a club like Norwich who continually gain promotion from the Championship.

But with only one trip to the Top Tier in 110 years, we need a big impetus to change the cosy mindset of so many involved with City, within and without the club, and an iconic leader like Gerrard could be like lighting the blue touch paper and watching the explosion?

Archived