IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Oh dear. Anyone else starting to get Dwight Gayle/Andre Gray vibes about the whole situation now?

I presumed they would have had a good idea who they were going to get when they sacked LJ.

Unfortunately looks like there wasn't much thought of life after LJ. We may as well have gave him until the end of the season.

I thought it made sense to sack LJ and let the new man have a couple of games to have a good look at the squad before the summer but feels like we aren't really sure what kind of manager we want.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Oh dear. Anyone else starting to get Dwight Gayle/Andre Gray vibes about the whole situation now?

I am a bit. I wish it wasn't so publicly believed - accurately or otherwise - that we want one particular candidate. It has the potential of becoming a very drawn out saga, publicly embarrassing if we don't get who we want and could make anyone we go for instead feel very much the second choice.

We seem to oscillate between keeping our private affairs private and doing the footballing equivalent of proposing to your girlfriend via a video screen in a sports ground live on national TV. We don't seem to have an in-between setting...

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I am a bit. I wish it wasn't so publicly believed - accurately or otherwise - that we want one particular candidate. It has the potential of becoming a very drawn out saga, publicly embarrassing if we don't get who we want and could make anyone we go for instead feel very much the second choice.

We seem to oscillate between keeping our private affairs private and doing the footballing equivalent of proposing to your girlfriend via a video screen in a sports ground live on national TV. We don't seem to have an in-between setting...

Do you think that Ashton is playing a double blind bluff here???

3 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Cook has done a fantastic job at Wigan. However around the time we beat them their fans wanted him gone.

Form table from the turn of the year has them 3rd and 1 point behind Fulham, agree doing a fantastic job up there and whatever he's done to turn them around is nothing short of a miracle.

28 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

As I explained in the rest of the post - context is important. Ordinarily I'd agree with you, getting City to the EPL would be a much bigger achievement. However this upcoming Scottish season is monumental for Rangers because of the history that will be made if Celtic win. It's easy to chuck out statements like 'they win it 50% of the time', but you are talking about a side that haven't won the league for 9 seasons, against an arch-rival that have been a behemoth in terms of trophies and finances in that same period. The job Steven Gerrard had on his hands going there was gargantuan. Your comment is typical of someone that probably doesn't understand the complexities of the rivalry there, especially this season.

You talk about context and then talk about Rangers having not won the league for 9 years ? totally ignoring the fact that they were put into the third division.

I'm sorry but the joint biggest club in scotland winning a very poor league, will never be much of achievement. 

Getting Bristol City in the league, will do everything for his career. I'm certain liverpool would come calling,

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Says to me we may have contacted a few clubs asking to interview managers whose seasons haven't finished yet and being respectful by waiting until the season is over to interview them, Cook/Neil for example.

Possibly. But when you’ve got one obvious candidate with all the right credentials (Hughton) and another exciting but more controversial one (Gerrard), it says to me we’re probably not getting either of them.

If you know the man you want, you go and get him.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Possibly. But when you’ve got one obvious candidate with all the right credentials (Hughton) and another exciting but more controversial one (Gerrard), it says to me we’re probably not getting either of them.

If you know the man you want, you go and get him.

The question for us could well be how much Hughton wants transfer fund wise, lots of people on here seem to gloss over the fact he said he could see us as promotion contenders 'with the right backing', that backing could be a £15m net spend for all we know, I'd be surprised if Ashton/Lansdown's etc didn't seriously consider other candidates and weigh up pros and cons if this were the case. If you had a Cook or Neil saying they'd be happy to work with the squad we have (or free transfers/loans or small spend <£5m for example) given the financial climate we might have to accept Hughton could be beyond our financial means. Gerrard has been abroad with Rangers, could well be he didn't want to talk until he was back in the UK etc.

Whatever reason I don't see Gregor's tweet alone as something negative as many seem to be taking it, we're at what 17 days since LJ's sacking? Its not like we've already had a month go by.

Maybe it's City dragging this out. Maybe "rigorous interview process' is a euphemism for, we're waiting to see if Howe, Smith, Moyes or Farke become available?

By now they will know the wage, structure and funding demands of Gerrard, Hughton and a few others and can decide to chuck the contract at them to secure their services as and when they are happy that the manager market has been exhausted. 

Alternatively, we could be haggling with Gerrard over the finer points of the arrangement; which coaches we will recruit, how transfers are agreed, image rights etc.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

They told me under him the football was absolutely dire and home attendance was falling noticeably. Also they would rather watch a team playing exciting football  in a lower league than a McCarthy team in the Championship. 

The problem being they are now playing poor football in a lower league and their fans are bleating like babies about it!!

1 hour ago, M.D said:

I ment in comparison to where we are now in 2020.

You have drawn a comparison to both clubs from three years ago, I would state where we are now is comparable as a club to when Hughton took over at Brighton so your statistics are missleading :)

I stand to be corrected but, I very much doubt that our wage bill today is as high as Brighton's £49m in their promotion season.

If you factor in inflation in players wages during the  during the seasons since Brighton's promotion, then we are well below the equivalent figures.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

I presumed they would have had a good idea who they were going to get when they sacked LJ.

Unfortunately looks like there wasn't much thought of life after LJ. We may as well have gave him until the end of the season.

I thought it made sense to sack LJ and let the new man have a couple of games to have a good look at the squad before the summer but feels like we aren't really sure what kind of manager we want.

This. Presuming that the rumours of a board split are correct, it’s utterly bonkers that they haven’t, as a group, decided on the type of manager they want to recruit. That needs to be a collective agreement resolved right at the outset. This should be done well in advance of the recruitment process starting. This should be done before the job spec is created. This should be done before the previous incumbent is sacked. It’s absolutely bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

This. Presuming that the rumours of a board split are correct, it’s utterly bonkers that they haven’t, as a group, decided on the type of manager they want to recruit. That needs to be a collective agreement resolved right at the outset. This should be done well in advance of the recruitment process starting. This should be done before the job spec is created. This should be done before the previous incumbent is sacked. It’s absolutely bonkers. 

To be fair, I thought the rumours of a board split were being pushed by a notorious fantasist on social media. I might be wrong but is there a reliable source for the idea there is a split?

5 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Where are the rumours of a board split?

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Says to me we may have contacted a few clubs asking to interview managers whose seasons haven't finished yet and being respectful by waiting until the season is over to interview them, Cook/Neil for example.

Or alternatively all eggs in the Gerrard basket.

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair, I thought the rumours of a board split were being pushed by a notorious fantasist on social media. I might be wrong but is there a reliable source for the idea there is a split?

Considering that I believe the board is just senior and junior Lansdown, Ashton (who will agree with SL as he's his boss) and Harman. Not likely to be much of a split I would imagine.

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

Considering that I believe the board is just senior and junior Lansdown, Ashton (who will agree with SL as he's his boss) and Harman. Not likely to be much of a split I would imagine.

Correct. Ultimately it'll be one man that makes the decision, the bloke that owns 97% of the club's shares. 

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I doubt it.

According to OS the 4 board members are SL, JL, MA and Doug Harman.

Companies house, controlling interests are SL, Maggie and BC Holdings

BC Holdings are just Maggie and Steve.

i guess SL will do what he wants unless Maggie has his balls in a vice!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I doubt it.

According to OS the 4 board members are SL, JL, MA and Doug Harman.

Companies house, controlling interests are SL, Maggie and BC Holdings

BC Holdings are just Maggie and Steve.

i guess SL will do what he wants unless Maggie has his balls in a vice!

Interesting, as I did hear ages ago that Steve's shares are in fact split 50/50 with Maggie. Not sure if that info would be publicly available...? 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting, as I did hear ages ago that Steve's shares are in fact split 50/50 with Maggie. Not sure if that info would be publicly available...? 

It would have to be for any company registered in UK if control is significant eg over 25%.

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Barry the Alien or whatever his name is on Twitter. The guy who periodically is quoted on here going off on Walter Mitty-esque flights of fancy about his inside knowledge. 

There’s also this fella. Doesn’t show a board split, but potentially an indecisive procrastination (if true)

1 minute ago, Notbarrymanc said:

There’s also this fella. Doesn’t show a board split, but potentially an indecisive procrastination (if true)

Or perhaps just taking time to make a very important decision to make as sure as they possibly can that they've got it right. Whatever the reasons for the delay, they are far more likely to be due to ongoing negotiations with candidates and following due process, than any form of procrastination. I have absolutely no inside line on this, but I do know the people involved and trust them absolutely. They will be  determined to get the right man, and if it takes a little longer, then so be it.

Archived