IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

You talk about context and then talk about Rangers having not won the league for 9 years ? totally ignoring the fact that they were put into the third division.

I'm sorry but the joint biggest club in scotland winning a very poor league, will never be much of achievement. 

Getting Bristol City in the league, will do everything for his career. I'm certain liverpool would come calling,

Well, no - the very fact they had to go down to the bottom division just further highlights my point that the club has been an utter mess for years. It isn't like they were just the perennial powerhouse everyone regards them as; narrowly missing titles, giving Gerrard an established platform to attack a title. They were rock bottom and are still desperately chasing to close the gap on Celtic. That's why Gerrard's job there is so much bigger than most people realise, or give him credit for. It would be a giant achievement if he won them the title this season - after years of restructuring, coming back up through the leagues and to deny Celtic 10-in-a-row by returning such a massive club to the status of top team in the country.

For what it's worth, I actually agreed with your final sentence in my original post ?. Despite how big I think it would be for him to lead Rangers to the title, I think his reputation in England, and to bigger clubs, would be enhanced more by taking City, or any other Championship side, to promotion. And that's why I think he might be tempted by a move.

26 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Or perhaps just taking time to make a very important decision to make as sure as they possibly can that they've got it right. Whatever the reasons for the delay, they are far more likely to be due to ongoing negotiations with candidates and following due process, than any form of procrastination. I have absolutely no inside line on this, but I do know the people involved and trust them absolutely. They will be  determined to get the right man, and if it takes a little longer, then so be it.

I did caveat with lots of ‘ifs’. The proof will be in the pudding, one mans deliberation is another’s procrastination.

But like I say, the proof is in the pudding. If we get SG, great. CH, brilliant. Neither? Someone done fked up. 

34 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Or perhaps just taking time to make a very important decision to make as sure as they possibly can that they've got it right. Whatever the reasons for the delay, they are far more likely to be due to ongoing negotiations with candidates and following due process, than any form of procrastination. I have absolutely no inside line on this, but I do know the people involved and trust them absolutely. They will be  determined to get the right man, and if it takes a little longer, then so be it.

See I wouldn't disagree with normal timeframes. I also understand that these things are not straightforward.

New season is scheduled to start on 12th September 2020 at best- if not, then it'd be 29th August 2020- for a new manager this is a really short timeframe, assess squad- think window open until sometime in October but we're cutting it quite fine! That said many clubs may find themselves in a similar boat.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

See I wouldn't disagree with normal timeframes. I also understand that these things are not straightforward.

New season is scheduled to start on 12th September 2020 at best- if not, then it'd be 29th August 2020- for a new manager this is a really short timeframe, assess squad- think window open until sometime in October but we're cutting it quite fine! That said many clubs may find themselves in a similar boat.

Agree, especially when half hour squad has uncertainty around their future (out of contract, last year of contract, returning from loans, out of favour etc).

So much to assess and lots of incoming and outgoings to manage. That's all whilst trying to instil a football philosophy.

15 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Well, no - the very fact they had to go down to the bottom division just further highlights my point that the club has been an utter mess for years. It isn't like they were just the perennial powerhouse everyone regards them as; narrowly missing titles, giving Gerrard an established platform to attack a title. They were rock bottom and are still desperately chasing to close the gap on Celtic. That's why Gerrard's job there is so much bigger than most people realise, or give him credit for. It would be a giant achievement if he won them the title this season - after years of restructuring, coming back up through the leagues and to deny Celtic 10-in-a-row by returning such a massive club to the status of top team in the country.

The support they have, which dwarfs every other club in Scotland (apart from Celtic) means it was never going to take long for rangers to get back to the top 2. 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

And that's without Gary McAllister! 

Seriously, imagine how excited the midfielders would be when Gary Mc and Stevie G rock up to training, pinging 40 yards cross-field balls to each other!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It would have to be for any company registered in UK if control is significant eg over 25%.

Bristol City is owned by Bristol City Holdings.

Bristol City Holdings is 97% owned by Pula Sport Limited which is registered in Jersey.

Steve and Maggie may well own half each of the shares in Pula Sport Limited but I don't know how we would find that out without somebody paying a fee to find out Pula Sport's ownership.

And if we did then we'd probably find another company or trust behind that.

Easier just to say "The Lansdown fanily" owns the club.

Find the whole Nketiah reference really tiresome I must say.

Last summer he chose Leeds over us. Not sure that needs much justification.

In January the club were absolutely right to do everything they could to get him. Ultimately, though people seem keen to overlook this apparent fact, it was Arsenal who pulled the plug on the move, not the player. He then went on to start 6 of 8 matches for them including a trip to the Etihad. They were justified in keeping him, he was justified in staying, we were justified in pursuing a top talent. Even in missing out on him we signed Wells. Ridiculous that the situation is even a discussion.

Back to Gerrard.. Personally id rather Hughton or Neil of those realistically linked, but if he's your number one target you set a deadline and move on if it's not met. If we don't have an agreement in place with someone by the end of this week, and I stress an agreement rather than, necessarily, having announced them, then the search, for whatever reason, has gone awry.

Just now, BCFC Grim said:

Good stuff. Not sure how I'd feel if I was Hughton and it was public that he was second choice. If infact he is.

I would hope we dealt with it better than that. I’ve turned down a job offer in the past because I was second choice, and that was made clear to me.

Archived