IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Feel like a weight has been lifted with that news. Would have been nice to have a high profile like Stevie G in BS3, but it’s still a massive risk and one we don’t necessarily need to make.

Hughton is proven and is what we need, currently. Fingers crossed we can get him in!

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I bet there's other big name ex players who have done as well or even better than Gerrard so I wonder if a big name ex player is what they are looking for.

Why would they make that a policy mate? The best managers were not great players. But of course we are talking about Steve Lansdown who generally goes for under-qualified people ie. managers who have not taken a team to the Premiership.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty confident a deal with him is "oven-ready" and so barring any slip-ups or ******* Poch agreeing to join us, Hoots must be next inline. 

At least Johnson isn't negotiating this one :fear:

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If we miss out on Hughton, a proven winner at this level, because we fannied about trying to poach a completely unproven Gerrard, it will be the most Bristol City thing ever. 

And let's be honest, not surprising in the slightest.

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If we miss out on Hughton, a proven winner at this level, because we fannied about trying to poach a completely unproven Gerrard, it will be the most Bristol City thing ever. 

How true. I hope Hughton isn't peed off. I can imagine what he would be thinking about us, going for an unproven prospect based on Lansdown's gut instinct, rather than on consultation with those who have what he doesn't - football knowledge. Appointing managers is thr most important job he has. So far he has bollocksed it up with one exception.

Never nice to be "turned down". However, in this instance I'm relieved. Not the right appointment for us. Good luck to Gerrard and we move on.

Let's hope we haven't let the right man slip through our fingers. As others have said, that would be "very City"!

To the Premiership and beyond!

It won’t be uncommon for a manager to accept a role after another manager has turned down the role ( or for a club to refuse permission for their manager to be approached). Hughton has been in football long enough to know that. If he turns us down out of principle and takes, for example, the Brum job, I would be hugely surprised!

That said, it Probably won’t be Hughton anyway. I’m expecting a left field appointment now.

8 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

How true. I hope Hughton isn't peed off. I can imagine what he would be thinking about us, going for an unproven prospect based on Lansdown's gut instinct, rather than on consultation with those who have what he doesn't - football knowledge. Appointing managers is thr most important job he has. So far he has bollocksed it up with one exception.

I think he’s been around the block enough to know that very often it’s not the first choice or unanimous choice that ultimately gets the job. 

If he wants the job and the money’s right I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to accept. 

6 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

How often does Gregor get things right?

No one will confirm what he claims 

This was his tweet earlier today so based on his latest revelation, you can make your own mind up.....

CEO Mark Ashton writes in tonight’s match programme that the search for a new #BristolCity head coach continues via that ‘rigorous interview process’. Our understanding is there is still nothing close. Not expecting any further official news on the process today either.
1:24 pm · 22 Jul 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Archived