IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 hour ago, S_C said:

but you’d think if Hughton isn’t announced tomorrow or Friday then either we don’t want/can’t afford him or he’s stalling us.

It seems to me a lot of words have been put into the club's mouth without them saying anything/much. Everything else is pure speculation at this point. Paper talk/social media can basically say what they like, right or wrong. As long as it get clicks.

Maybe everything is done and dusted.

MA asked DH to take the team over till the end of the season. Fair enough. DH has put the work in and deserved his opportunity to be temporary manager. 

The new man in waiting wants to bring in a whole new backroom staff with him. That means DH etc are without a job. I think City have done the honourable thing in this instance and let that team finish the season. It's now officially over. 

I would expect announcements in short time. MA and SL have their man and are probably laughing as much as we are the SG link. 

.... Could be wrong though. This is City afterall.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.... I think you’re fixated on Gerrard, he’s a manager in the Premiership already - our top tier ain’t called that 

No Gerrard fixation here and no need to be pedantic (it's "isn't" by the way) Anyhow, he's done nothing, whatever their "top" division is called - AND this is in Scottish football, hardly the most competitive of environs.  

• Admin
10 hours ago, James54De said:

Rarely is there any reason to engage with Phantom. 

Brilliant!

You never engage on here anyway, just numerous petty aubergines 

I'm sure that you said you were going to block me?

Maybe do us both a favour and hit the block

10 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Why dish out the ? when posters are saying the same thing then?

I'm not sure that we will ever know

• Admin
11 hours ago, mozo said:

Sorry to doubt you buddy, but I don't think any of those examples actually quoted Gerrard saying he wasn't interested in the role. Happy for you to evidence I'm wrong, but my impression was that Talksport was just hearsay, Scottish Press hearsay. Sky interview didn't mention City?

@mozo I had a quick glance online, not surprisingly stories have been swallowed up and overtaken

The only thing I can find at the moment is the Talksport reference https://talksport.com/football/efl/733793/steven-gerrard-interest-leave-rangers-bristol-city-manager/

14 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I don't think you can fault the board for identifying their number 1 choice and go for broke to get him.  It had to be someone, and if SG fitted the bill, so be it.

If anything I say fair play.  He was a big target and we will never know how close we actually came.  Draw a line under it and move on.

Like I have said in previous posts, this job actually should be on radars of managers 2 or 3 years ago were out of our reach.  As far as wages are concerned, if we can agree a punt on player will probably cost $1-2 million then spending this on a managers wages, should not be off putting.

With a transfer window looming, I would imagine that MA has already identified the players he wants and the players he will move on.  Another assumption is that the new man will probably have to fall in line with those decisions, the longer this goes on the more relevant this statement will become.

Its a process and very complex one at that.  Hold on to your hats I say, this is far from over.

Good post WoW.

The only thing I don’t agree with is the MA transfer stuff.  Yes, he’s hugely involved but no manager, least of all Chris Hughton is gonna let him make final decisions on players (especially those coming in).  Of course Ashton will present a case to him, and Hughton will need to weigh that up against his plans.

12 hours ago, S_C said:

Think you can talk your way around this pretty easily.

If, and i've no idea if it's the case but let's say theoretically, terms had been agreed with Hughton, you simply say to him that he was one of the final few names in the frame, discussions with the others have concluded and he was the preferred candidate. Gerrard could have been the number one target but we could have failed, and it could have become public, to come to terms with Hughton. You're establishing if an agreement can be reached, not offering someone the job. That's the line, if needed, at least.. 

I would imagine Hughton is in that bracket of managers going for jobs where there will always be potential for there to be a better candidate.  Just nature of the position he’s in.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post WoW.

The only thing I don’t agree with is the MA transfer stuff.  Yes, he’s hugely involved but no manager, least of all Chris Hughton is gonna let him make final decisions on players (especially those coming in).  Of course Ashton will present a case to him, and Hughton will need to weigh that up against his plans.

I would imagine Hughton is in that bracket of managers going for jobs where there will always be potential for there to be a better candidate.  Just nature of the position he’s in.

Being the second choice for any position in any industry is not unheard of. in fact it happens in a very high percentage of cases.

So if it's Hughton, bring him in and let's get the preparation for September under way.

What puzzles me is what is the question to which the answer is either:

a) Stevie G - unproven, big name, offers lots of media profile for 'Steven Gerrard's Bristol City'

or b) Chris Hughton - sober, serious, serial promotion winner

The first is presumably an answer to the question 'what can we do to raise the profile of this club, and hopefully move upwards'. Stevie fits the bill. The second is an answer to 'who could we appoint who will give us the best assurance we can get in an uncertain world of a crack at the Premier League any time soon.'

I know which I'd rather have. But it puzzles me that two such utterly different candidates should be the club's targets.

I fear that allowing it to be known that we were chasing Gerrard, and failing to get him, confirms every suspicion that Bristol City are slightly desperate wannabes.

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

@mozo I had a quick glance online, not surprisingly stories have been swallowed up and overtaken

The only thing I can find at the moment is the Talksport reference https://talksport.com/football/efl/733793/steven-gerrard-interest-leave-rangers-bristol-city-manager/

Well it's all academic now anyway.  Looks like Talksport were right and hopefully equally so regards Hughton (imo).

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Brilliant!

You never engage on here anyway, just numerous petty aubergines 

I'm sure that you said you were going to block me?

Maybe do us both a favour and hit the block

I'm not sure that we will ever know

I engage with those that I feel like. 
In terms of blocking, if I knew where that wonderful button lay, it’d have been clicked a long time ago. 

3 minutes ago, James54De said:

In terms of blocking, if I knew where that wonderful button lay, it’d have been clicked a long time ago. 

Just go to their profile and select ignore user.

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

No Gerrard fixation here and no need to be pedantic (it's "isn't" by the way) Anyhow, he's done nothing, whatever their "top" division is called - AND this is in Scottish football, hardly the most competitive of environs.  

Yep, apologies for the pedantry! Gerrard needs to either win shedload of trophies north of the border or get out and prove himself in the championship - his credentials are being scrutinised by lots of people who think he could have a big future as a manager

2 hours ago, James54De said:

You really are a tosser

Ironic how you said you don't interact with this poster yet you are clearly obsessed with leaving emojis everywhere and constantly try and wind them up. Do the forum a favor and get a life

Also an unrealistic fantasy for us at this time he has unfinished business in an average Scottish premiership. But being a manager of a team playing European football more of a draw. So not disappointed ? that he has turned us down. In long run think this is for the best. 

5 hours ago, Red Exile said:

What puzzles me is what is the question to which the answer is either:

a) Stevie G - unproven, big name, offers lots of media profile for 'Steven Gerrard's Bristol City'

or b) Chris Hughton - sober, serious, serial promotion winner

The first is presumably an answer to the question 'what can we do to raise the profile of this club, and hopefully move upwards'. Stevie fits the bill. The second is an answer to 'who could we appoint who will give us the best assurance we can get in an uncertain world of a crack at the Premier League any time soon.'

I know which I'd rather have. But it puzzles me that two such utterly different candidates should be the club's targets.

I fear that allowing it to be known that we were chasing Gerrard, and failing to get him, confirms every suspicion that Bristol City are slightly desperate wannabes.

In fairness to the club, given our track record on keeping things like this close to our chests, I doubt that anyone at the club "allowed it to be known" that we were chasing Gerrard. However, we obviously have little control if others in the know, such as agents , ensure the information gets into the media.

Whatever the negativity there is about MA & SL that may be spread on these pages, I think it's hard to deny that BCFC act professionally and don't do their business in public. We do not have owners and a Board who wash their laundry in public- unlike so many Chairman.

Call me old fashioned but just about every Manager currently in a hot seat has, according to contractual law and FA rules,  seek permission to speak to a prospective new employer whilst a football club HAS to seek permission to approach an under contract Manager or face a "tapping up" charge.

So Gerrard has , according to the Mc Gregor, turned down the offer of a job at BCFC- with no interview and no permission from his parent Club.

REALLY?      REALLY?

So MA has had a private discussion with Gerrard without permission and Gerrard has turned down the approach without so much as a squeak from Glasgow Rangers Football Club? 

Come on, FFS ,Gregor Mc Click Bait- it may be that BCFC had made enquiries but as to a full offer of new Manager and full decline- this is just BS.

Gregor Mc Gregor is already beside himself that Talk Sport has released news that Houghton has accepted the position as he'd want a " I can exclusively report....." which he now can't claim . BCFC will make an announcement as and when they are ready and 100% not through a failing local paper that no one buys any more that relies mainly on click bait ( yes I'm guilty of clicking) .

I have no doubt that Gerrard was "sounded out" and may well have been a target but would have have to have had to go through a formal interview process which could ONLY happen with the permission of Rangers which 100% they would have denied.

The world has and is going mad but not that mad.

Gregor- please don't treat us as all daft but I'm sure we all understand how important it is to keep us clicking in these "unprecedented times" and help keep your job.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You don’t think Gerrard was contacted via his agent? That’s how it works. That’s why agents exist...

Yes - maybe- but it wouldn't have been a " here's the job , here's the salary,here's the budget and don't worry about an interview cos you've got the job.... p.s. don't mention it to your massive employers"

SL aint stupid and would have wanted to speak personally to Gerrard before making a decision . IMO.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes - maybe- but it wouldn't have been a " here's the job , here's the salary,here's the budget and don't worry about an interview cos you've got the job.... p.s. don't mention it to your massive employers"

Hmm - that’s exactly how it would have been framed. Had SG been interested then an official approach would have been made. Not sure what your point is tbh

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Hmm - that’s exactly how it would have been framed. Had SG been interested then an official approach would have been made. Not sure what your point is tbh

My point is that he was never formally offered the job so never formally turned it down as reported by McGregor.BCFC were just seeing who was potentially available. McGregor does NOT have the inside track on the boardroom discussions.

Archived