IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Personally I don't think he has done well at Rangers, as I said in another thread, he finished 13 lengths adrift in a two horse race and still hasn't won a domestic trophy

You could also use a similar argument about Pep in this season's premier league, as Liverpool and Man City are in a different league than the rest of the clubs.

Gerrard's Rangers are coming from a long way back as a result of their demotion, and are at a huge financial disadvantage compared with Celtic, and those financial constraints would make life difficult for any manager, let alone one in his first job and with the pressure and expectation that goes with that job.

Pep can hardly argue that he is working at a financial disadvantage to Liverpool or that he has taken them from a previously poor position!

16 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You could also use a similar argument about Pep in this season's premier league, as Liverpool and Man City are in a different league than the rest of the clubs.

Gerrard's Rangers are coming from a long way back as a result of their demotion, and are at a huge financial disadvantage compared with Celtic, and those financial constraints would make life difficult for any manager, let alone one in his first job and with the pressure and expectation that goes with that job.

Pep can hardly argue that he is working at a financial disadvantage to Liverpool or that he has taken them from a previously poor position!

Comparing Gérard with Pep, I've heard it all, how many trophies might Pep end up with this season???? 

13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Are the same people who didn’t want LJ because he hadn’t achieved anything now advocating the appointment of Steven Gerrard?!

Dunno you tell me.

I didn't want Johnson and don't want Gerrard - not that I think the latter is feasible in any event.

21 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I guess it is not just about money for him , at least this early in his career . Who knows , it looks like he expressed interest , and he would know what Championship money is like . It would probably be more realistic to get City into the Prem than overhauling Celtic though . Who knows !

I’d be happy with either SG or CH And both show what an attractive proposition we are right now. Cue a left field announcement !

Is interested, yes. I think he's seen Lampard not even have to get Derby to the Prem to see what that spell at the club did for his exposure. As big a club as Rangers are, and let's not forget they are bigger than us, the reality is that they play in the SPL which is unlikely to get him the exposure he needs to propel his career. Particularly in current circumstances with a dominant Celtic and with Rangers continuing to battle financial turmoil. 

50 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

Is Gerrard still a goer? YES IMO Or is Hughton looking more likely? YES IMO

15 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think there was a  bit of resistance to Dalglish from Liverpool fans when he first joined because of his Celtic connections.

There definitely used to be a Liverpool Protestant and Everton Catholic bias back then.  Think it was the same with Hibernian and Hearts in Edinburgh too.

Dalglish is a Protestant so I don’t think there was resistance back then from Liverpool fans on religious grounds - he was Liverpool’s record signing (and the fee was also a British transfer record at the time) and he was brought in to replace Keegan - I think those two things caused a bit of unrest rather than any religious connotations...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Dalglish is a Protestant so I don’t think there was resistance back then from Liverpool fans on religious grounds - he was Liverpool’s record signing (and the fee was also a British transfer record at the time) and he was brought in to replace Keegan - I think those two things caused a bit of unrest rather than any religious connotations...

Yes, hadn’t realised he was protestant.  

I remember walking out of Anfield behind a group of Liverpool fans not long after they’d bought Dalglish and they were moaning about thr club ‘wasting all thst money on on him and they should have spent it on a new defence instead’.

So reckon you’re right on that one ?

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Are the same people who didn’t want LJ because he hadn’t achieved anything now advocating the appointment of Steven Gerrard?!

I don't want Gerrard, but I can see the logic. A "big name" will attract players who'd like to play for him and his Liverpool links might help us getting some of their youngsters on loan. His name might also help flog tickets, shirts etc.

I am not convinced he'd be any better at the actual job than LJ though. And I wasn't much of an LJ fan.

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Well , as SL has heard this approach from his rugby team... I hope we are looking for the same clarity with Football from whoever we bring in 

In a lengthy statement on the Bears website, Lam said: “When I arrived three years ago, I set three key objectives for the rugby programme to achieve our Vision: Win the Champions Cup (our Ambition); Produce England Internationals (our Programme); Develop our Home-Grown Players (our Passion)

"The number one requirement I requested from Steve (Lansdown) and Chris (Booy, chairman) to achieve this, before players, facilities and budget, was the need to build a High Performance Management Team to help me drive the programme and I’m so pleased with the quality of staff we have on board to serve.

"I’m delighted that after an intensive period of recruitment – both internally and externally – we have built a strong Coaching Team that not only have absolute clarity about our game plan and the Bears system, they understand our culture and the world class standards that we demand."

"My ambition was to build a coaching team that has true alignment right across the club from the Senior team all the way through to our Academy to ensure the transition through each stage of the Bears pathway is as seamless and clear for all players wherever they enter our Bears programme,” Lam added

A key part of our vision is not just to develop our players into better players and better people, but also to develop our staff to become world class.

"While each coach has a specific area of responsibility I like to expose them to all areas of the game on and off the field to ensure they continue to grow as coaches and to help them reach their ultimate goal of possibly becoming Head Coaches themselves which I believe they all can.

"The flow and quality of our brand-new facility ensures excellent internal communication between all our departments and everything is in place for us to serve our playing group, at all levels, to achieve their rugby dreams."

Imagine if we had the equivalent of Pat Lam here. The man is class.

4 hours ago, BehindTheGoal said:

Someone I know spotted Gerrard at Ashton Gate on Monday..

Several large amounts of cash put down on him afterwards which is why the odds have probably shortened somewhat.

If we have spoken to Gerrard . Do you really think they’d interview him at Ashton gate . We would probably meet him somewhere neutral 

Archived