IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 hour ago, City oz said:

On the news ABC oz it was suggested he has been appointed as a head coach but it didn’t say the club and his four kids are looking forward to living back in the UK.

Be surprised if Fowler gets championship job;as you know the standard of footy here is abysmal  Even if he did do a relatively good job in Brisbane 

44 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Agree with you mate. SL and his acolytes will be wetting themselves at us gullible fans entertaining the idea that we will get somebody who is qualified to take us to the Promised Land. All the time knowing that they have the bloke from Newport County lined up "An outstanding candidate from a staggering field of applicants"

Unless SL has had a massive change of personality we will not get anyone of proven Premiership promotion quality or capability.

Hope he isn't going to do one of his barmy Steve Coppell/David James gambles. If so we could end up with Gerrard and that is bound to fail IMHO. It would also give him more spurious ammunition to resist ambitious managerial appointments.

Hey Ho. We are cursed. Truly hope that I am wrong and that he has the guts to go for it.

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

I don’t think it requires a change of personality. I think it has a lot more to do with where we find ourselves as a club at this moment in time.

When was the last time we made an appointment with the club stable in the top half of the second tier, having consistently flirted with the play offs for a few seasons, while having a PL-ready infrastructure in place? Never.

We’re a different proposition now, we are more capable of attracting - and paying for - a higher calibre of manager than perhaps we have ever been.

I really think people need to keep an open mind on this one.

I’d also argue against Gerrard being “bound to fail”. We just don’t know that. This forum has an appalling record of calling managers - there was consensus support for the appointments of SOD and McInnes, and disappointment when Cotterill and LJ arrived.

There is an element of risk to any managerial appointment - no one guarantees success or failure. Again, we need to keep an open mind and not rush to make our minds up before giving the new man a chance...

...although if they appointment Dean Saunders I’m never going again ?

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

You’ve specularly missed the point there. It worked out brilliant for Frank, no denying that. Not so much for derby though. 

You're completely wrong. Vast majority of Derby fans think Cocu has done a far better job than Lampard.....remember he had Mount, Wilson and Tomori.....these have been replaced by players in the academy, Sibley Knight and Bird......and Cocu still gets them to the same points total up until last week. This also without their captain and off field issues.

For what it's worth I think Derby will be a major force next season and will be right up there.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’d also argue against Gerrard being “bound to fail”. We just don’t know that. 

Totally agree - its bizarre to suggest this. He has done a decent job at Rangers - they have been a million miles away from Celtic for years due to their previous, so to get them into a strong second isnt bad.

If he surrounds himself with good coaches i think he would do well. Would certainly command respect and inspire the players

13 minutes ago, Lez said:

You're completely wrong. Vast majority of Derby fans think Cocu has done a far better job than Lampard.....remember he had Mount, Wilson and Tomori.....these have been replaced by players in the academy, Sibley Knight and Bird......and Cocu still gets them to the same points total up until last week. This also without their captain and off field issues.

For what it's worth I think Derby will be a major force next season and will be right up there.

Cocu has quietly gone about improving Derby over the season.

Good blend of youth and experience.  Not forgetting Bogle from your trio.  Sibley has only just emerged, but Bird looks really good.

If Derby aren’t financially hamstrung or Cocu gets poached, I tend to agree. Not sure if their FFP status has been sorted yet!

You ain’t too bad when you’re not trying to convince everyone that Nagy is better than Zidane!!! ?

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t think it requires a change of personality. I think it has a lot more to do with where we find ourselves as a club at this moment in time.

When was the last time we made an appointment with the club stable in the top half of the second tier, having consistently flirted with the play offs for a few seasons, while having a PL-ready infrastructure in place? Never.

We’re a different proposition now, we are more capable of attracting - and paying for - a higher calibre of manager than perhaps we have ever been.

I really think people need to keep an open mind on this one.

I’d also argue against Gerrard being “bound to fail”. We just don’t know that. This forum has an appalling record of calling managers - there was consensus support for the appointments of SOD and McInnes, and disappointment when Cotterill and LJ arrived.

There is an element of risk to any managerial appointment - no one guarantees success or failure. Again, we need to keep an open mind and not rush to make our minds up before giving the new man a chance...

...although if they appointment Dean Saunders I’m never going again ?

Okay mate. There is always an element of risk but less so if you appoint someone who has been there and done it before, which we cannot say is true of Gerrard. And as I said above. SL has so far been either ultra-conservative and controlling or on one occasion, barmy

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

You’ve specularly missed the point there. It worked out brilliant for Frank, no denying that. Not so much for derby though. 

Were Derby markedly worse off for him being at the helm, though? The tone he was brought into this conversation inferred he did a lot worse than the reality, and warranted the derision I used. 

Hey Guys,

Rangers fan here, not sure why there is so much talk here in regards to Gerrard tbh.

He took training on Monday and Tuesday (so the chances of him being in Bristol on Monday are slim to none)

He has recently done a Rangers TV interview stating how excited he is to be part of Rangers this season and is in the process of sounding out his transfer targets.

I completely understand the appeal of English football but I am skeptical on this link at this time.

I wish you all the best this season - but I am hoping it is without our Gaffer...

10 minutes ago, rangers_fan said:

Hey Guys,

Rangers fan here, not sure why there is so much talk here in regards to Gerrard tbh.

He took training on Monday and Tuesday (so the chances of him being in Bristol on Monday are slim to none)

He has recently done a Rangers TV interview stating how excited he is to be part of Rangers this season and is in the process of sounding out his transfer targets.

I completely understand the appeal of English football but I am skeptical on this link at this time.

I wish you all the best this season - but I am hoping it is without our Gaffer...

Genuine thoughts on him as a manager. You guys have gone to pot since Christmas haven't you? 

11 minutes ago, rangers_fan said:

Hey Guys,

Yeah, we see he’s gone to Lyon yesterday too....but there could of course been interest.  Our resident man in the know on here suggests there has been interest.  Might’ve been agent chat and gone no further.  We’ll wait an see.

Welcome to OTIB.  We liked Tavenier, we disliked Kent!!

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Genuine thoughts on him as a manager. You guys have gone to pot since Christmas haven't you? 

His profile has certainly attracted players back to our club and he carries himself well in the media as well.

The main tactician in the coaching staff is Michael Beale - he is the man that Gerrard seems to rely on heavily.

We also seem to fall apart after the winter break (something that has been scrapped this season thankfully).

IMO Gerrard has a make or break season ahead of him, if he was to leave now he would be seen as a quitter - however if he doesn't win the league he will be seen as a loser.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, we see he’s gone to Lyon yesterday too....but there could of course been interest.  Our resident man in the know on here suggests there has been interest.  Might’ve been agent chat and gone no further.  We’ll wait an see.

A few of our ITK posters have suggested the interest was one way at this point - but who really knows in football, I guess we never will unless he joins you guys.

12 minutes ago, rangers_fan said:

His profile has certainly attracted players back to our club and he carries himself well in the media as well.

The main tactician in the coaching staff is Michael Beale - he is the man that Gerrard seems to rely on heavily.

We also seem to fall apart after the winter break (something that has been scrapped this season thankfully).

IMO Gerrard has a make or break season ahead of him, if he was to leave now he would be seen as a quitter - however if he doesn't win the league he will be seen as a loser.

If you're able to answer...

What's his recruitment been like? Not sure what recruitment model he's currently working in.

Does he bring through young players at all?

Would you say he has learned and improved on any of his managerial skills since arriving?

Cheers.

54 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Were Derby markedly worse off for him being at the helm, though? The tone he was brought into this conversation inferred he did a lot worse than the reality, and warranted the derision I used. 

Ok but as I’ve said, we don’t want to plateau, we want to push on to the next level. Frank kept Derby in the playoffs but couldn’t get them up. No more no less. Our equivalent would be to bring someone in who would maintain mid table mediocrity. I’m not saying that that’s what SG would do, just that the FF equivalent would point to that, for us, right now. 

22 minutes ago, Gazred said:

If you're able to answer...

What's his recruitment been like? Not sure what recruitment model he's currently working in.

Does he bring through young players at all?

Would you say he has learned and improved on any of his managerial skills since arriving?

Cheers.

His recruitment has been good overall.

Last year we had a change in Football Director, Mark Allen left (ex Man City) ad Ross Wilson joined from Southampton. 

Our model is very much to try and do what Celtic have done over the past few seasons, which is buy young players with potential in the hope to sell them on in future.

With that in mind over the last two seasons we have bought the likes of:

Joe Aribo (had his first cap for Nigeria)

Nicola Katic (Young international Croatian CB)

Borna Barisic (Croatia first choice LB)

Ianis Hagi (The son of the famous Hagi)

45 minutes ago, rangers_fan said:

His recruitment has been good overall.

Last year we had a change in Football Director, Mark Allen left (ex Man City) ad Ross Wilson joined from Southampton. 

Our model is very much to try and do what Celtic have done over the past few seasons, which is buy young players with potential in the hope to sell them on in future.

With that in mind over the last two seasons we have bought the likes of:

Joe Aribo (had his first cap for Nigeria)

Nicola Katic (Young international Croatian CB)

Borna Barisic (Croatia first choice LB)

Ianis Hagi (The son of the famous Hagi)

Sounds very similar to the way in which we've tried to operate over the last 5 years so mybe thats why Lansdown / Ashton have earmarked him, as much as I would like this to happen it still doesn't ring true that he would leave Rangers to join us unless there are issues behind the scenes at Ibrox that not many know about.

1 hour ago, rangers_fan said:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/rangers-coach-michael-beale-steven-gerrard-liverpool-chelsea/

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

If it is Gerrard who is going to be the new coach then I would imagine we would have to wait a while. Would guess he would want to see the Europa League through with Rangers. Not ideal.

Potentially doesn’t end til August 21st. 
I don’t think we’ll be hanging on that long. 

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

If it is Gerrard who is going to be the new coach then I would imagine we would have to wait a while. Would guess he would want to see the Europa League through with Rangers. Not ideal.

They could still announce it now though I guess. 

Archived