IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

@BS4 on Tour... imagine being a true Liverpool fan and Steven Gerrard becomes your local club’s manager! ???

@JonDolmani don’t follow SPL to know what kind of job he’s done up there, but he has more managerial / coaching experience than Lampard did at the start of last season when he took over Derby.

I don’t have a problem if it’s short term, because Liverpool come knocking....that ought to be an indication he’s done well here.

But I’m gonna sit back and wait and see.

I’m in a much better mood thinking the likes of Gerrard might be in the frame than Mike Flynn for example.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

How do people fancy about Ryan Kent coming back? :laugh:

I see this mentioned every time Gerrard’s name is brought up. 
I know yours is followed by an emoji but I’ve read this about 20 times!! 
Can anyone suggest why Gerrard = Kent? Is he is effing rent boy or something. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I see this mentioned every time Gerrard’s name is brought up. 
I know yours is followed by an emoji but I’ve read this about 20 times!! 
Can anyone suggest why Gerrard = Kent? Is he is effing rent boy or something. 

Nah no real suggestion from me just original Liverpool connection and that he signed him, in fact if Kent could replicate SPL form he could bring some goal threat from wide for us which is something we've lacked.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'd be amazed if he ever gets Liverpool job because that would mean he is an absolute world class manager for Liverpool to ever take him on.

Klopp is a genius and Liverpool would require another genius, the absolute best there is to ever replace him.

An ex player who makes worse decisions than some other candidate would not be the right choice.

It's amazing Lampard got the Chelsea job but I do think a part of it was so fans let him play the kids.

Rebuilding job with a manager who fans have a bit a patience with.

We are sat here at 11:59pm on a Saturday night talking lots of ifs, buts and maybes....and his next job too.  Enjoy the chase, and I don’t mean Anne Hegarty!

It doesn’t feel like the sensible choice but it would certainly be an exciting one. 

My biggest concern is that we’d be constantly looking over our shoulder waiting for someone to poach him if he did well.

Although I don’t think the Liverpool job specifically is as likely, as soon, for Gerrard as Chelsea was for Lampard.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Bloody hope not. Done nothing so far that makes me think he's anything special.

Big name and contacts? Hmm why not just get countless other big names. 

In fact get a big name who is foreign who might know big names In cheap market.

Being a big name makes no difference when there's a decision to be made. Either the manager knows or doesn't know what to do.

Exactly. All these people getting excited about someone who has done NOTHING at managerial level. Not a thing. 

Find it more worrying that the man at the top thinks he's the right choice as well. For me, there is only one man who is right and should be absolutely number 1 target, and that's Hughton. 

I don’t get why people wouldn’t be excited by this. As annoying as it would be to be Gerrard’s Bristol City his name alone will open up doors we never had keys to. It can open up bigger sponsorship deals, he will have a vast array of contacts throughout the premier league, the players would take everything he says on board and he would most likely be able to attract a few higher calibre players. 

He isn’t experienced in the championship. Neither was Bielsa, Farke, Wagner, Lampard nor scott parker and thomas frank. Also, those saying he hasn’t done anything in Scotland are wrong. He has brought that club along much more than when he first got there. They fell too far to compete with Celtic but they have closed the gap. He has made them competitive in Europe too. Only thing I think you can say is that he probably should have been closer to a trophy than he has gotten them. 

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t get why people wouldn’t be excited by this. As annoying as it would be to be Gerrard’s Bristol City his name alone will open up doors we never had keys to. It can open up bigger sponsorship deals, he will have a vast array of contacts throughout the premier league, the players would take everything he says on board and he would most likely be able to attract a few higher calibre players. 

He isn’t experienced in the championship. Neither was Bielsa, Farke, Wagner, Lampard nor scott parker and thomas frank. Also, those saying he hasn’t done anything in Scotland are wrong. He has brought that club along much more than when he first got there. They fell too far to compete with Celtic but they have closed the gap. He has made them competitive in Europe too. Only thing I think you can say is that he probably should have been closer to a trophy than he has gotten them. 

Quite simply, he has been a manager less time than LJ was before we appointed him. We need someone with experience, who knows what they're doing. Not someone learning the trade. Just because you've got a coaching badge doesn't make you a good coach. 

He doesn't excite me, in fact, it worries me more than anything. If I was interviewing him, along with other managers, I'd be wanting to see what he has done that proves he deserves to be the man to take Bristol City to the prem. 

He's got nothing which proves he can do it. He has minimal management experience. He's managing in a piss poor league and not tearing up trees within it either. 

Some quite interesting stuff on a Rangers forum and was surprised at the number of posters who thought this could be a possibility and only a few were giving it the ‘little Bristol City’.

Here’s one post with views why they think he might take the job

DBBTB     22,765

49 minutes ago,  Hadron Collider said: 

Bristol ******* City. ******* hell. 

Genuine question, why not? 

They’ve been there or there abouts in terms of the playoffs for a few years now, have one of the best owners in England, are building a new training ground, fairly recently redeveloped their stadium, hw would probably get more more for transfers than he will get here and Bristol is an “emerging” City within the UK and it would only add to it’s reputation if it had a Premier League club too.

If he decides he wants to leave before he wins anything then he will not get many better offers than Bristol City.

Only worry is, another poster commented that Gerrard isn’t very tactically aware and has a habit of throwing players under the bus ....... sound familiar???

What’s with all the “done nothing”? Why’s a manager for us need to have won 83 promotions in 9 different countries? He’s gotten Rangers to the Europa League quarter finals getting out of a group with bloody Porto and Feyenoord. I’d say that’s at least on par with winning League 2. I think he’d be a great appointment. 

In comparison, I’d say derek mcinnes has done a better job with Aberdeen than Gerrard has done with rangers and most wouldn’t want him back 

I remember the villa fans Wa4king over JT joining them and them boasting how he would sort their defensive problems and eventually taking over as their manager Ummm hows that working out.   
we need a manager that is right for our club not a “name”. It could very well be that SG is good for us but let it be for the right reasons 

I'm not sure this would be the right appointment, it is a more exciting name than Mick McCarthy however. Plenty of people have alluded to Johnson's lack of man management, inability to manage the bigger personalities as to being part of his downfall. Would Gerrard have a better grasp of this having been at the very top of the game as a captain? I'd still prefer Hughton though.

33 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

How is it possible for me to be both:

(a) filled with dread, and

(b) extremely excited. 

Weird rumour this one. 

Agree , he will inevitably increase our club profile and we will become the media darlings of the championship. Liverpool have a number of exciting youngsters which he will know about and he would be a huge pull in attracting those players. Interesting if our relationship with Liverpool would rebuild after the Kent affair. 

Biggest question is how good a conch is he ?

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It doesn’t feel like the sensible choice but it would certainly be an exciting one. 

My biggest concern is that we’d be constantly looking over our shoulder waiting for someone to poach him if he did well.

Although I don’t think the Liverpool job specifically is as likely, as soon, for Gerrard as Chelsea was for Lampard.

Why would that be a big concern. 
If he does well and other clubs want to poach him, surely that means, well, that he’s done well. Isn’t that a good thing for us, you know, if he’s done well. 
Would be great for a manager to be poached from us rather than sacked. Last one was Jordan probably, and he got poached because he’d earned us promotion. 
If Gerrard came in, won us promotion, and got poached by Liverpool, I’d be ecstatic. 

I would be excited by this personally. Surprised people saying he hasn’t done a good job for Rangers. He has closed the gap on Celtic who have had a complete monopoly over Scottish football for nearly 10 years & from my understanding of it, on a much less inferior spend than Celtic. He has also guided them well in Europe. Didn’t he also coach at Liverpool under Koop for a bit? Yes, we would have to put up with the side circus, but imo it would be an exciting appointment. He would have the respect of every player before he has even stepped into the room, players will want to sign for him, he will have connections with people at the very top ( Liverpool ).  For those saying it would be a stepping stone, every person that signs for Bristol City, player or staff sees it as a stepping stone, they all want to get to the top. The hope for us is that they get there, as that would mean they’ve done a good job here & progressed us. I also don’t think he would see us as a short term thing, it’s a club he could really put his stamp on. Klopp ain’t going anywhere anytime soon.  The stability that Lansdown has given by not sacking LJ before, backing him well with funds etc will be very encouraging for any manager looking at us as an option. At the very least, a very exciting time. COYR 

5 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

What’s with all the “done nothing”? Why’s a manager for us need to have won 83 promotions in 9 different countries? He’s gotten Rangers to the Europa League quarter finals getting out of a group with bloody Porto and Feyenoord. I’d say that’s at least on par with winning League 2. I think he’d be a great appointment. 

Absolutely so.

We all know the SPL is a mediocre two (one?) horse race but Gerrard has managed to get Rangers much closer to Celtic & occasionally to beat them.

His record in the Europa League is a good one for a side from Scotland.

If he is chosen he comes with a similar amount of experience in terms of games managed to both Bowyer & Lowe, so it can certainly be argued that his European experience makes that at least the equal of the former & ahead of the latter.

If that 4 man shortlist is correct, it is a pretty good one.

We would have to officially change our name to ‘Steven Gerrard’s Bristol City’.

That would really piss me off every time time I heard it. For that reason alone, it’s a ‘no’ for me.

On a more serious point, I’m not sure how much he’ll buy into ‘the project’. He’ll be out to maximise points in the short term and move on.

I personally would prefer CH just for his managerial experience and success. But if SG is in the frame, I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed because he’s a young, respected ex footballer, who would have a lot of contacts. Finally he played under some fantastic managers and coaches at Liverpool. Something must have rubbed off. 

1 hour ago, daored said:

Agree , he will inevitably increase our club profile and we will become the media darlings of the championship. Liverpool have a number of exciting youngsters which he will know about and he would be a huge pull in attracting those players. Interesting if our relationship with Liverpool would rebuild after the Kent affair. 

Biggest question is how good a conch is he ?

2 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Good point about the young players.

He could attract the likes of Rhian Brewster.

That would piss off Swansea if nothing else.

Win Win !

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Why would that be a big concern. 
If he does well and other clubs want to poach him, surely that means, well, that he’s done well. Isn’t that a good thing for us, you know, if he’s done well. 
Would be great for a manager to be poached from us rather than sacked. Last one was Jordan probably, and he got poached because he’d earned us promotion. 
If Gerrard came in, won us promotion, and got poached by Liverpool, I’d be ecstatic. 

Agree with all of that. I think my concern is that he gets poached before he’s achieved anything tangible - Lampard didn’t have to get Derby promoted before he went to Chelsea for example. And I do like to appoint a manager in the belief that they’re committed to the project in the long term.

I am drawn to Gerrard in the same way I’d be drawn to Holly Willoughby if I was looking for a wife. She’s out of my league, she’d probably leave me for someone famous within a year...but it sounds like fun and I’m not going to say no am I?!

A word of caution from someone who has followed his time at Rangers closely.

He has done a great job making them more competitive with Celtic. They have come out on top in Old firm games and he is a passionate bloke. He also plays attacking football and has taken them on some great cup runs (Europe in particular).

HOWEVER, he has not made them as consistent a team in the league and often they have beaten Celtic to drop points to the smaller teams. His record in the league, not the cup is what we should be looking at. Johnson also had good runs in the cup but had similar flaws IMO.

Also worth noting he has brought in a huge amount of players and spent quite a lot of money at Rangers and yet he does not have a trophy to show for it YET.

Archived