IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

I’m amazed at the lack of indifference toward Gerrard. 

Chris Hughton, I get it, proven manger at this level and above.

Steven Gerrard? I would wish him every success but I don’t understand the excitement.

Lampard used Derby as a stepping stone and left them in no better a position than when he came.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Steven Gerrard? I would wish him every success but I don’t understand the excitement.

Lampard used Derby as a stepping stone and left them in no better a position than when he came.

The excitement is:

• was a top class player
  • hope that it translates into coaching
  • has contacts (not just Liverpool ones)
  • is interested in City

Hughton is the level above, but you don’t always get what you want.

I think people on here have been generally very level-headed re Gerrard.  I’ve seen very few “wet their pants” reaction on here.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The excitement is:

• was a top class player
  • is interested in City

I think people on here have been generally very level-headed re Gerrard.  I’ve seen very few “wet their pants” reaction on here.

They’re  fair points and maybe I’m getting too old and cynical.

But to my mind it’s the same as any other unproven manager at this level. 

Im not too familiar with Rangers, but have they had success with Liverpool loanees?

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The excitement is:

• was a top class player
  • is interested in City

What does 'he has contacts' mean exactly?

Pretty sure most managers get bombarded with calls from agents, and it isn't as if he has a 20 year management record (or playing record) that has seen him involved with loads of different clubs.

One club career, one club manager.

(Not saying that's a bad thing, just like clarification on what is meant by 'contacts' and why they should be any better than anyone else)

I’m not overly excited over Gerrard but will be a interesting appointment. Personally I would take Hughton, Cook and Robins over Gerrard but then again I’m an accountant not a football expert. I just hope he can improve the position that Lee left us in in previous seasons. 

7 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Rooney gets 50k per week as a player & 50k per week as a coach. Coaching wages don't count towards FFP.

Of course Derby are the masters of FFP loopholes, but I'm sure there could be other potential holes.

Not that I'd want to see our club go down that route.

Coaching wages do count towards FFP.

They didn't count towards SCMP which was for league one and two.

FFP is about overall business losses and has relatively few exclusions and exceptions.

4 hours ago, rangers_fan said:

Hey Guys,

Rangers fan here, not sure why there is so much talk here in regards to Gerrard tbh.

He took training on Monday and Tuesday (so the chances of him being in Bristol on Monday are slim to none)

He has recently done a Rangers TV interview stating how excited he is to be part of Rangers this season and is in the process of sounding out his transfer targets.

I completely understand the appeal of English football but I am skeptical on this link at this time.

I wish you all the best this season - but I am hoping it is without our Gaffer...

Can see why he would want to stay in Glasgow forever chasing Celtic's tail in a two horse race, the man should give himself a proper challenge and try and get England's biggest City never having to have  played in the Premiership to the promised land ?

37 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Steven Gerrard is exactly the type of appointment I’m dreading. 

Appointing someone based on their playing career... because they are a big name. 

But then again, if it happens i’ll support him and he happens to be one of my favourite players of all time. So it does excite me at the same time... but clearly for the wrong reasons ?

15 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I’m not overly excited over Gerrard but will be a interesting appointment. Personally I would take Hughton, Cook and Robins over Gerrard but then again I’m an accountant not a football expert. I just hope he can improve the position that Lee left us in in previous seasons. 

You speak as if it’s done?

Surely city would need permission from any club to speak with a contracted manager? So does this mean we've not approached anyone yet as no statements have gone public from any managers clubs thats been linked with us.. ie Rangers and Gerrard. 

All seems to quiet.

Just now, Street red said:

Surely city would need permission from any club to speak with a contracted manager? So does this mean we've not approached anyone yet as no statements have gone public,

All seems to quiet.

we won't be announcing in the press we have permission to speak to a manager, that leak will come from an agent when they are trying to drum up interest 

47 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Hughton would be my first choice, and he’s such an obvious appointment I can’t understand why we haven’t already brought him in. 

If it’s not him though I would find the Gerrard appointment exciting. It would raise our profile in a way we’ve never done before and I think his achievements as a player would give him instant gravitas with everyone connected with the club.

Would Gerrard coming guarantee success? Of course not but I would certainly be excited to see how it panned out.

All of that said I still reckon we’ll end up with a Cook/Robins/Bowyer type. I just can’t imagine is going for someone like Gerrard. 

25 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we won't be announcing in the press we have permission to speak to a manager, that leak will come from an agent when they are trying to drum up interest 

Sorry I mean the club thats been approached so if we want to speak to Gerrard, Then we would need Rangers permission and then surely they would release a statement whether they've either accepted or declined the approach? That's normal procedure is it not once a club has decided it's number one target.

4 minutes ago, Street red said:

Sorry I mean the club thats been approached so if we want to speak to Gerrard, Then we would need Rangers permission and then surely they would release a statement whether they've either accepted or declined the approach? That's normal procedure is it not once a club has decided it's number one target.

Who says they have to release a statement?

The fact that Scottish media are not covering this story suggests to me there is not much substance to it as they are desperate to see Gerrard bail on Rangers.

If they even had the slightest indication that this was on the cards it would be all over the news today in Scotland.

Most of the Rangers forums have completely dismissed the link as he reportedly turned down a big offer from Derby last year.

All our "ITK" posters have completely ruled this out. We shall see I guess.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Steven Gerrard is exactly the type of appointment I’m dreading. 

Appointing someone based on their playing career... because they are a big name. 

But then again, if it happens i’ll support him and he happens to be one of my favourite players of all time. So it does excite me at the same time... but clearly for the wrong reasons ?

It'll be exciting though! Like when we signed Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, David James... oh.

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Surely city would need permission from any club to speak with a contracted manager? So does this mean we've not approached anyone yet as no statements have gone public from any managers clubs thats been linked with us.. ie Rangers and Gerrard. 

All seems to quiet.

As in all walks of life, there are official and non official ways of doing things. For example, a random person says to a certain manager  that there might be a club in the far south who might be interested in speaking to you about drinking cider, eating Clark’s pies and singing along with the Wurzels. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. If the manager says I love cider, pies and Wurzels then it goes to the next level. If, on the other hand, the said manager says “I like piña coladas
And getting caught in the rain
I'm not much into health food
I am into champagne” then it’s no deal 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

What does 'he has contacts' mean exactly?

Pretty sure most managers get bombarded with calls from agents, and it isn't as if he has a 20 year management record (or playing record) that has seen him involved with loads of different clubs.

One club career, one club manager.

don’t forget LA Galaxy ?

Seriously though, as a player, played under many different managers and coaches at both Liverpool and England, came across lots of players (and their agents).  It’s a network and at a high level.  It’s not manager x from Lg2 who took a player on loan once.  As a manager he’s now got some experience of doing that for his own needs.

I don’t necessarily buy the fact that he’ll go straight back to Liverpool and loan 3/4 youngsters.

(Not saying that's a bad thing, just like clarification on what is meant by 'contacts' and why they should be any better than anyone else)

so that’s what I mean by “contacts”.

Through most of the managerial threads, the common theme seems to be:

• Not first choice, but would show ambition

and I think most people would accept his pedigree (and experience) is much greater than Ryan Lowe and that bracket.

I think most people are happy if we can’t attract a Hughton type, that the next a bracket includes managers like Gerrard.

1 hour ago, rangers_fan said:

The fact that Scottish media are not covering this story suggests to me there is not much substance to it as they are desperate to see Gerrard bail on Rangers.

If they even had the slightest indication that this was on the cards it would be all over the news today in Scotland.

Most of the Rangers forums have completely dismissed the link as he reportedly turned down a big offer from Derby last year.

All our "ITK" posters have completely ruled this out. We shall see I guess.

I would also imagine the compo Rangers would expect would mean it's an unlikely starter.

Archived