IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

5 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

Just my opinion,but based on what happened when Johnson was appointed

Just to add that Cotterill was sacked on 14th January 2016.  Johnson was appointed on 6th February 2016.  That is 23 days.  There have only been 13 days since Johnson was sacked, so what makes you think something is going wrong?

3 minutes ago, newarkred said:

Just heard on Talk sport that Gerrard has come out and said he’s not interested in the job and wants to stay with Rangers 

He was always going to stay. Not sure why everyone on here wasted so much time with rumours. I got shot down for this last week. Gerrard is not and never was going to BS3.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Painfully slow??  If you want to recruit a senior manager in any other industry you’re talking about a process that could last three months at least, sometimes longer.  Lee Johnson was sacked 13 days ago.  How long does it take to attract expressions of interest; identify suitable candidates; carry out interviews; identify the preferred candidate; offer the job; negotiate arrangements regarding the existing set-up; discuss the position of existing senior staff; negotiate a contract; carry out due diligence?  If you can do that lot in a month then you’re doing phenomenally well.  The only reason clubs ever make quick appointments is because they’ve already done the work prior to the previous person being sacked, and I would sincerely hope that we are not that sort of club.  I want the club to take as long as it takes to make the right appointment.  

Come on, you mentioned a balls up.  What balls up?

Just a feeling of history repeating itself,before Johnson was appointed,Ashton said the club would do due diligence,but as far as I am aware,noone else was interviewed,having sacked Johnson when they did,surely they must have had candidates they were interested in,otherwise why not wait till the end of the season

4 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Martin keown was just singing out praises on talksport saying we are a big club and need to be/ should be back in the big time. This was after the other guest calling bristol a backwater for football and couldn't see Gerard entertaining coming here at all.

Keown said he give up his media work to manage us and there isn't many clubs he would do that for

That's it then!

I'm off to put my 50p on MK before his odds gets slashed. 

Anyone know what his odds are?

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Still surprised at the support Gerrard getting from fans as the general negative to Johnson was he hadn’t achieved anything.

you don’t honestly believe the negative re LJ was based around achieving nothing. It was one of several negatives, e.g. mixed recruitment, no settled system, etc.

Maybe people thinking good player equals good manager.

if you genuinely read this thread about Gerrard you’ll actually see a pretty balanced critique of Gerrard.  Very few are (if any) are using the “good player equals good manager”, they are giving logical reasons why that particular aspect might have merits.

Most people don’t have him as their first choice either, but a left field appointment if the club can’t entice a Jokanović or a Hughton type.

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

He was always going to stay. Not sure why everyone on here wasted so much time with rumours. I got shot down for this last week. Gerrard is not and never was going to BS3.

Yeh, I was listening. 

Tbh, Chris Hughton was my 1st choice anyway so nothing changes. 

Get it done City

13 minutes ago, newarkred said:

Just heard on Talk sport that Gerrard has come out and said he’s not interested in the job and wants to stay with Rangers 

To quote our next manager....... Happy Days!!!

Another thread bites the dust.

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

Regards the slow recruitment process, Gregor is today reporting that City were waiting to discover which division we would be in - I could have told them that, the daft sods!

Contrary to the 'brace yourself' intel received by @Kid in the Riot, Gregor reckons the process will take up to 10 more days. Maybe today's news will be about sponsorship or kit?

Gregor still describing Gerrard as "unlikely", although he then curiously states that we were impressed by Lampard at Derby. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-step-up-search-4335243?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Perhaps, as already been mentioned, SL is waiting until the end of the season for a manager currently employed. The fate  of his club, relegation or promotion, my affect wether or not the manager becomes available 

45 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Glad that Gregor has scotched these ridiculous Gerrard rumours

The McG Post article mentions City’s good links with the Derby Board. That settles it for me - Wayne Rooney will be City’s player manager next year. If I was a betting man I’d put 50p on this 

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Bet the lansdowns are pissing themselves reading these threads everyday tbh

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why?

Because they have hacked a number of OTIB users and are making the posts themselves.

31 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Martin keown was just singing out praises on talksport saying we are a big club and need to be/ should be back in the big time. This was after the other guest calling bristol a backwater for football and couldn't see Gerard entertaining coming here at all.

Keown said he give up his media work to manage us and there isn't many clubs he would do that for

Who was the other guest? 
We need to get trolling him on twitter!! 

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

They’re definitely keeping this one nailed down tight as you say.

You’d think after two weeks, there would be some whispers coming out from an ITK or on social media regarding a club preference or front runner, 

One thing looks certain. Any hope that getting rid of LJ before the end of the season would allow us to strike early with our new appointment are shrinking fast.  

It now looks like we’ll be dragged into competition with the rest of the clubs who’ll be looking for new managers from next week onwards, which won’t make the job any easier.

Good point.

Seems to me, that judging by the article in the post today; they were holding onto a wing and a prayer of getting into the playoffs before deciding. 

That would naturally indicate to me, that the budget for the new manager is an issue; and that at this stage they are unwilling to pay the higher wages being asked for.

Maybe with the finances being what they are, we simply can't afford a number of the options being mentioned

We may have to lower our expectations, as to what is affordable at this present time.

Sl was criticised for not going through a proper recruitment process when appointing LJ. i.e. not allowing sufficient time for other applicants to come forward, short list and interview.

Now he is being criticised for not doing exactly what he was criticised for doing with LJ.

1 minute ago, Banjo Island said:

Ive been underwhelmed by bristol city fc many many times its become a habit ????

Ive learned to have low or no expectations. That way the club can always match or exceed them.

They've never let me down yet!

22 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

Just a feeling of history repeating itself,before Johnson was appointed,Ashton said the club would do due diligence,but as far as I am aware,noone else was interviewed,having sacked Johnson when they did,surely they must have had candidates they were interested in,otherwise why not wait till the end of the season

I think Lee Johnson was a different case.  Clearly he was firmly in Lansdown’s mind and his strong links to the club meant that the selection process could be substantially foreshortened.  But this time you have to go back to the sacking of Gary Johnson for a strong parallel and Lansdown must have the Steve Coppell affair at the forefront of his mind.  We really need to get this one right.  I imagine that we will already have contacted a number of preferred candidates and if they are subsequently offered a job elsewhere, then that’s up to them.  People are making the process sound a bit like trapping an animal, but the fact is that our preferred candidate might not want to join us and may prefer to take another job.  No one who really wants the job is going to take a job elsewhere in the meantime.  If the prefer to go elsewhere, then let them go and let’s get someone who really wants to work at Bristol City.

Just now, downendcity said:

Sl was criticised for not going through a proper recruitment process when appointing LJ. i.e. not allowing sufficient time for other applicants to come forward, short list and interview.

Now he is being criticised for not doing exactly what he was criticised for doing with LJ.

Exactly this. I’m not worried at all about the time frames. The club may want to wait till end of the season to see who leaves their positions, and more than likely want to explore or options in the UK and out.

Hughton may be linked with Birmingham. But I’m pretty confident he won’t be going there regardless.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Plus being criticised for not appointing a manager sooner than he did when LJ got the job, (that took 22 days).

Just now, ncnsbcfc said:

Hopefully thats one rumour put to bed then.

We still haven't established whether Gerrard himself said that or whether @newarkred misinterpreted what the studio guest (who was apparently negative about us) was saying. Only one person has apparently heard Gerrard saying this on Talksport and I know a fair few people on here listen. Wouldn't say it's cut and dry just yet.

the balls up comment may have been premature,,, but its not unheard of that clubs have their new manager lined up,,,, especially when a week later the club were still in with a chance of making the playoffs,, if the new manager came in the bounce/ his expertise may have given us a win over stoke which kept us in the hunt.

unless holden is being given the chance to take the job full time then presumably whoever ends up with it is a better candidate and would be seen as making us more likely to beat stoke,,, but for whatever reason that appointment has not yet been made.

Archived