Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

You can over-analyse a manager’s track record (although I appreciate that is the nature of a fan’s forum). The fact is, football is as much psychological as tactical. The great managers (Shankly, SAF etc) achieved by who they were - their presence, as much as by what they did. SG has that presence, at least for our club and current players. Logically comparing stats between SG and LJ (or whoever), misses the point, or half the point at least.

Then shouldn't there be some evidence of this huge advantage Rangers have in having Gerrard's presence in charge?

They have done okay under him, or not even okay according to some Rangers fans.

Saying Gerrard could motivate/inspire our players more because of how good he was as a player means that any top quality ex pro can do the same doesn't it? If that's how it works.

I think the game has changed now. Footballers are far more professional, and okay teams can suffer lack of confidence at times, but generally as long as a manager has not lost the dressing room, most players give their all under any competent manager.

I believe now the tactics are so much more important than the old days of the 1990s 442 with balls that absorbed water, making them heavier and muddy pitches and players being allowed to kick each other.

But even then Fergie won league titles largely because of so many other things than just being a presence.

He was tactically very clever. He built teams and set them up in ways that played great football and won trophies.

And Fergie was a great manager because of who he was...a great manager, not a great player.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think LJ had looked more impressive when we took him on than Gerrard currently does.

Did a superb job at Oldham and had them playing fantastic football at that level. Josh Brownhill said he joined us because of seeing how LJs Oldham team played against him. He made some very clever signings there.

At Barnsley he went on an awful run but then went on a great run with a side that went on to get promoted. They were in superb form when he left.

Gerrard has spent more money than the previous manager. Improved them a bit which is to be expected with bigger budget than previous manager, and got them 2nd to the only side with a bigger budget.

From what I've read Rangers fans that want him to stay mainly do so because they want to see how he can do, giving him more time. Not because he has done a really good job so far.

But also fans want him to go or don't mind him going.

Like I said the other day, if it was any ex player and not Gerrard doing that job at Rangers, no one would want him here.

Gerrard has done the square root of **** all at Rangers. I will give him that they were desperately unlucky to lose the League Cup Final (that was funny) , and the last game I went to up there I was just happy that Celtic only got beat 2-1 and Morelos didn't score, but they have been woeful in many other games. Turning up on the odd occasion against Celtic, does not make him a good manager.

I love his post match interviews. they invariably start with him saying 'I take full responsibility' before he spends the next 5 minutes throwing his players under the bus. Snidey ****** who I couldn't dislike more (Unless he is your next manager of course :))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

Gerrard has done the square root of **** all at Rangers. I will give him that they were desperately unlucky to lose the League Cup Final (that was funny) , and the last game I went to up there I was just happy that Celtic only got beat 2-1 and Morelos didn't score, but they have been woeful in many other games. Turning up on the odd occasion against Celtic, does not make him a good manager.

I love his post match interviews. they invariably start with him saying 'I take full responsibility' before he spends the next 5 minutes throwing his players under the bus. Snidey ****** who I couldn't dislike more (Unless he is your next manager of course :))

Take it you don't like him then 😂

To be honest I am not keen on him as a person. But i'd have him here if I could see any evidence of him being a great manager.

And that final bit you say is exactly what LJ often did! Don't want that again!

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You’re gas and Celtic?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Take it you don't like him then 😂

To be honest I am not keen on him as a person. But i'd have him here if I could see any evidence of him being a great manager.

And that final bit you say is exactly what LJ often did! Don't want that again!

There was obviously a huge fuss when he rocked up at Ibrox, just because of his name, but he is the only Rangers manager to keep his job after two trophyless years , personal preferences aside , I really don't get the hype.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But ZZ did....he managed Real Madrid B (Castilla) for 2 seasons before getting let loose on the full team. For the 4 years before getting the B Team job, he worked under Mourinho and Ancelotti with the first team.  

He served an apprenticeship!!!  He did his time.

They rarely get it handed on a plate.  They have drive and desire to get to the top, but they know they have to do the hard yards first.

Plus, he clearly took time out at an undertakers, which is admirable.