IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

A manager is not employed to be liked, he's employed to be successful.

On the other hand, Bristol City are supposed to representing our multicultural community (fans and future players) and has to be very careful to avoid aligning with the people that would give the wrong message to that community. 

I'm not giving my opinion on Terry, just explaining that the club could take past behaviour into account. 

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No evidence he has those skills though. Might be a useless manager like some other ex top players have been.

Literally a complete guess. It might be a disaster, and an expensive disaster.

Johnson did a good job he took us from relegation contenders in the championship to a top 10 side who flirted with the playoffs. We need someone to take us to the next level , I’m not sure how John Terry can demonstrate that, as a player he was a good centre half - villa defensively are useless this season - surely that has to be a sign of his coaching ability , he should be able to organise a defence.

It appears clear our number one target is currently in a role , whether that be Terry or another - Terry is a huge risk 

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

I don't agree, the board will always take the fans opinion into consideration. JT is a hugely unpopular candidate amongst the fan base. In times when people are tightening their belts, IMO, hiring JT will have a huge impact on ST sales. 

I would suggest, CH would have the opposite effect.  SL and JL (more so) will be keeping a tab on fans thoughts, of course they will be having a sneaky peak on here and other forum and social media to gage fans thoughts. 

If they can't sell their product to us the consumer, then they haven't got a business. Don't underestimate our opinion. 

So do we take turns undertaking interviews. 

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Should we get Pulis back if SL truly believes he's the best option?

My point to Badger of which i respect is the board are not going to take on board supporters advice. They are giant to employee the best candidate that can progress the club further. For any of us on here claiming they need a say is ridiculous.

I think it is a bit harsh to dismiss JTs coaching credentials and potential. If he wanted, his first job could had easily been a managers one after retiring (e.g. Gary Neville, Scholes, Lampard), however, unlike many, he didn’t take the easy route he sought to learn his trade as a coach. He does not need the money so it would suggest that he is determined to give managing a good crack and only when he feels ready. Likewise, he could have easily coached a junior Chelsea team for a secure and relatively easy job but taking the Villa one again supports the notion that he is prepared to get out of his comfort zone – where he is a legendary figure- like so many ex-players do.

Also look at the managers he has worked under. Yes, they have generally been very successful, but they also have a variety of approaches and styles, so he would come with a catalogue of diverse experiences on how to manage and how set a  team up.  Very different to the typical low-level English player turned manager who has often have only played under very similar, old fashioned, lower league English manager types. If he could take a bit (ideally the best of each) of his managers, he could be very good. E.g.. Ranieri, Mourinho, Avram Grant, Luiz Felipe Scolari, Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti, André Villas-Boas, Sven-Göran Eriksson, Fabio Capello and Rafael Benítez to name a few. Within that there are managers who are very tactical, very detailed and other who are more man-managers. That does not guarantee his success as ultimately it will come down to how well can he man manager players and what level of emotional intelligence he has but has certainly had a front row seat to some of the best managers in the world. Many coaches have build their CV around one-off meetings with some of the names above – name dropping them as sound bites at every opportunity- whereas he has lived it and generally as captain to. Thus, he clearly has strong leadership skills…

Not saying he is my first choice, but I don’t think some of his off-field antics should cloud his managerial credentials.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

I cant understand why this disappoints you. I think to many people are Looking at moral reasons and history rather than the quality and coaching skills he could bring any club lucky enough to get him 

It’s nothing to do with moral reasons at all. Within reason, he can do what he wants in his personal life. I couldn’t care less. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone else is quick to judge. 

It’s just my opinion. I’ve heard him speak many times in interviews, summarising on games etc and I’ve never listened to one and thought “top coach in the making”.

My hope would be that when appointing an ex player who has played their entire career at the top of the game, they tend to have played under some of the best managers and coaches - so hopefully he has learnt from them too. 

31 minutes ago, City oz said:

My point to Badger of which i respect is the board are not going to take on board supporters advice. They are giant to employee the best candidate that can progress the club further. For any of us on here claiming they need a say is ridiculous.

I agree they wouldn't want our advice. And neither should they.

But they will be looking at who appears popular amongst fans and also at who fans despise. They'll employ who they want, but they wouldn't want to risk fans turning away in disgust at a Pulis style figure.

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I agree they wouldn't want our advice. And neither should they.

But they will be looking at who appears popular amongst fans and also at who fans despise. They'll employ who they want, but they wouldn't want to risk fans turning away in disgust at a Pulis style figure.

It comes down to winning. If we win and get points the fans will attend and more and more will attend regardless of the manager.

Just now, City oz said:

It comes down to winning. If we win and get points the fans will attend and more and more will attend regardless of the manager.

Yes but at the hiring stage nobody knows if the new guy will win any games.

They'll want the fans to be behind the manager from the start. Because that will help with winning games.

I don't think they would or should listen to us on everything, but they'll definitely want to avoid the new guy having to deal with large amounts of fan negativity.

Love the fickel hypocrisy of fans. I'm not saying we should go with John Terry because it's a massive risk but some people just don't like him because of the whole Wayne Bridge fiasco but some of these same people would of accepted Lampard without any issues Pre-Derby. Both reportedly had past related issues but I don't care when it comes to football that's different. If people don't like him for moral reasons then atleast be consistent.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Could say that about employing Chris Kamara. Could work out I guess.

Got more EFL promotions on his CV than many names mentioned.  Poor example ?

Perhaps you were unaware he was a manager?

He got Bradford promoted, and built the foundations of the Bradford side that Jewell got promoted to the Prem.

Brought Jewell to the club, and a certain Chris Wilder too!!!

3 hours ago, westonred said:

Yes very true some can do it others can't.  LJ was just like his Dad and was unable to manager higher caliber players and falls out with a lot of players.  if your getting a bollocking from a manager you would have more respect for him if he has won everything and led his club and country by example . 

He managed Tammy Abraham well - probably the highest calibre of player we’ve had in 20 years.

He clearly fell out with Tomlin but who hasn’t? 

Just playing devils advocate. I remember when Swindon appointed Di Canio, and his links to fascism and far right political views were aired. However I didn’t see too many of their fans complaining when they started winning nearly every week and got promoted.  

I’d like to add though that I would personally feel pretty uncomfortable with Terry being appointed. 

Just now, eric04 said:

Just playing devils advocate. I remember when Swindon appointed Di Canio, and his links to fascism and far right political views were aired. However I didn’t see too many of their fans complaining when they started winning nearly every week and got promoted. 

Let's hope we would have more moral fibre than Swindon. 

17 minutes ago, eric04 said:

I’d like to add though that I would personally feel pretty uncomfortable with Terry being appointed. 

To be fair, Swindon is a haven for fascists and other depraved vermin...

32 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Love the fickel hypocrisy of fans. I'm not saying we should go with John Terry because it's a massive risk but some people just don't like him because of the whole Wayne Bridge fiasco but some of these same people would of accepted Lampard without any issues Pre-Derby. Both reportedly had past related issues but I don't care when it comes to football that's different. If people don't like him for moral reasons then atleast be consistent.

I don’t think that shagging a team mates wife is the only issue here.

Lampard has never been charged by the FA for racially abusing an opponent, has he? Then sacked as England captain as a result.

There are also other stories, Terry selling private tours of the Chelsea ground & pocketing the money.

He is a deeply unpleasant man.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think that shagging a team mates wife is the only issue here.

Lampard has never been charged by the FA for racially abusing an opponent, has he? Then sacked as England captain as a result.

There are also other stories, Terry selling private tours of the Chelsea ground & pocketing the money.

He is a deeply unpleasant man.

Anton Ferdinand? 

21 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Yes but at the hiring stage nobody knows if the new guy will win any games.

They'll want the fans to be behind the manager from the start. Because that will help with winning games.

I don't think they would or should listen to us on everything, but they'll definitely want to avoid the new guy having to deal with large amounts of fan negativity.

Tell the new guy not to look at OTIB. If i was the new guy I wouldn’t 

Archived