IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

GMcG adamant Gerrrard is first choice but Hughton is interested.  IF true - I don't really understand why we're prioritising a less attainable target over a more attainable and better qualified one!

https://twitter.com/GeeMacGee/status/1285167833371090944?s=20

Seems very strange.

Surely we must have a date by which we want him to make up his mind?

Plus of course a plan B & possibly C, too.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

GMcG adamant Gerrrard is first choice but Hughton is interested.  IF true - I don't really understand why we're prioritising a less attainable target over a more attainable and better qualified one!

https://twitter.com/GeeMacGee/status/1285167833371090944?s=20

If true, it suggests neither Rangers nor SG have definitively responded in the negative, and there remains a chance this will happen

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Seems very strange.

Surely we must have a date by which we want him to make up his mind?

Plus of course a plan B & possibly C, too.

The danger is we wait for Gerrard to say no, which seems likely, and it's then too late to get Hughton...so we end up with neither.

Surely we should be pursuing the available and best-qualified candidate as a priority.  I can only assume it comes down to money.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think it's the big name that puts us on the map a bit and enables us to attract a better of quality of player.  That's my theory anyway.

I still don't think that's worth turning down bags of experience & previous promotions out of this league for though. Just can't believe we're going for someone less experienced than LJ. 

On 18/07/2020 at 16:36, Seneca the Younger said:

Some fans.. As if Dyche would ever come here.

More chance of him going to Everton.

Dyche is a totalitarian- he has control over everything at Burnley - as well as being a couple of levels down coming here he wouldn’t suit the head coach role that we have in place 

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I still don't think that's worth turning down bags of experience & previous promotions out of this league for though. Just can't believe we're going for someone less experienced than LJ. 

Agreed. Gerrard is obviously a big name not in this country but in world football and I’m sure that alone will be tempting for any new signings. As you said though in Chris Hughton you have a man with bags of experience and know how - that is exactly what we need IMO.

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

this feels like its going to end very messily and badly

It sounds to me like he'll cost an absolute fortune in salary. There's a chasm between LJ's £0.5m and Bielsa's £6m and I'd speculate Gerrard's agent is saying 'if you want to lure a football legend like Stevie away from a huge Scottish club and European football, pay what he deserves'.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

If and its a big if we are waiting on Gerrard and are keeping Hughton as a back up plan personally i think that is absolute madness.. 

I think its possibly the other way around. I think we've spoken to CH but he wants to wait and see if Watford want him. I think we're right to push on and look at other options. I just wish it was Mick McCarthy 

To me it sounds like Gerrard hasn't dismissed it but probably has said he's focused on their Europa League tie with Leverkusen in 2 1/2 weeks time, meanwhile we look at other candidates to see if they could be who we'd want

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

If and its a big if we are waiting on Gerrard and are keeping Hughton as a back up plan personally i think that is absolute madness.. 

Astonishing isn't it. A man who has 2 promotions from this division vs a man who hasn't done anything in any level of English football.

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

this feels like its going to end very messily and badly

It’s one thing if it’s just haggling over terms, but the sounds coming from Rangers are that he just isn’t interested in coming here.  

Maybe he’s given a different impression in private, but this is starting to smell very much like an Eddie Nketiah situation.

You'd think someone like Gerrard (probably Hughton too in fairness) would want money to spend. I don't think he'd be interested in coming to a club with aspirations of mid-table. 

This could be an expensive period for the club if so - perhaps the right time to do it and steal a march on rival teams cutting the cloth.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember SL and JL following England in different world cups during the Gerrard/Terry/James era. Might explain the apparent liking for those sort of players. 

Indeed. Definitely Germany 2006, South Africa 2010 and Ukraine 2012. Saw them at England's opener in Donetsk against France. Gerrard was playing in that game.

Archived