IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

GMcG adamant Gerrrard is first choice but Hughton is interested.  IF true - I don't really understand why we're prioritising a less attainable target over a more attainable and better qualified one!

https://twitter.com/GeeMacGee/status/1285167833371090944?s=20

GMcG has ran out of stories to write, so is publishing what he thinks may be true and covering a few bases at the same time.

Unless he has a direct source into the club, who is leaking information, it has no foundation.

The club are not going to say to the press, Bill Biggs is our number 1 choice, but if not we'll go for Bert Bloggs.

6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It’s one thing if it’s just haggling over terms, but the sounds coming from Rangers are that he just isn’t interested in coming here.  

Maybe he’s given a different impression in private, but this is starting to smell very much like an Eddie Nketiah situation.

Gerrard is represented by the same agency as Lee Johnson. Make of that what you will! 

18 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Very ambitious by SL and he probably isn’t use to being told no . And I would of loved SG here . But we also have a manager in CH who would be an amazing appointment. SL needs to make his mind up before we end up with 4th 5th 6th choice 

What if SG and CH are 4th and 5th choices? :whistle:

:shocking:

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

GMcG has ran out of stories to write, so is publishing what he thinks may be true and covering a few bases at the same time.

Unless he has a direct source into the club, who is leaking information, it has no foundation.

The club are not going to say to the press, Bill Biggs is our number 1 choice, but if not we'll go for Bert Bloggs.

I think you do GMcG a disservice.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Gerrard is represented by the same agency as Lee Johnson. Make of that what you will! 

That’s interesting.
That would surely complicate things if we’d wanted to put feelers out prior to giving LJ the elbow, as anything filering through to Gerrard would also reach LJ too.

So maybe we really have only started negotiations after LJ’s sacking?

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Could it be...?

image.thumb.png.1869409bef7a0d3470e296919caee296.png

It could well be.

But we had better have a Plan C, too if we intend to keep Hughton hanging around for too long with so much churn in manager posts of late..

47 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

GMcG adamant Gerrrard is first choice but Hughton is interested.  IF true - I don't really understand why we're prioritising a less attainable target over a more attainable and better qualified one!

https://twitter.com/GeeMacGee/status/1285167833371090944?s=20

Because of the commercial value Gerrard brings to the table. Simple as that. 

The money we would make on the back of having him in charge would easily pay for his salary and more 

We are a brand now sadly. They want the big name to lead that brand 

Hughton isn’t that name 

27 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

To me it sounds like Gerrard hasn't dismissed it but probably has said he's focused on their Europa League tie with Leverkusen in 2 1/2 weeks time, meanwhile we look at other candidates to see if they could be who we'd want

No way can we wait that long with the close proximity of next season and decisions on recruitment and existing player contracts, even if he said yes eventually it would be so late in the day it makes his own life harder and if he were to say no after that length of time we would be scrabbling round to brign someone in.

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The money we would make on the back of having him in charge would easily pay for his salary and more 

Hughton isn’t that name 

Not so sure about that.

How much value do you see there being in appointing a manager like SG?

Gerrard is coming. I can see it now.

Last game of the 20/21 championship season, City on the cusp of automatic promotion to the promised land for the first time, all we need is a win at home to already relegated Wycombe. 

Last minute, City launch a counter attack at 0-0, it’s 4 against 1 in our favour, the crowd roars, Gerrard burst from the technical area in anticipation, about to achieve hero status and the keys to the city, a statue in his honour forever more, but wait......he slips and takes out the Lino just as KP plays a perfectly timed ball accross to Wells for a tap in. The referee blows for an offside that he couldn’t possibly have seen, if only the Lino had kept up with play he would have seen that Wells was yards onside. 

The final whistle blows. City have to settle for the playoffs where everything goes to shit. Gerrard is sacked. Paul Tisdale leads the betting as his replacement. 

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

No way can we wait that long with the close proximity of next season and decisions on recruitment and existing player contracts, even if he said yes eventually it would be so late in the day it makes his own life harder and if he were to say no after that length of time we would be scrabbling round to brign someone in.

Which is why you have the second sentence, we continue to look and if a suitable candidate presents themselves we move for them instead. On Hughton he potentially remains a very expensive option as his interest has always been based on 'the right funding' which we may not want to commit to.

8 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Hughton isn’t that name 

I think you are correct. But at least he has shown some ability at Rangers. He has improved them to a degree...

But its a massive gamble.

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Hughton isn’t that name 

Sadly, I think you're right.

Hughton - proven, experienced, been there done that. Not an exciting name to many, unlikely to have a huge swing on attracting players/other significant revenue unless we're doing very well in the league, all of which is unlikely to happen next season and looks more like a 2-3 season project.

Gerrard - instant impact with regards media and the associated revenue streams that would come from us becoming Steven Gerrard's Bristol City, but a total gamble on the footballing side.

I hope there is clarity at board level to look at this objectively and assess the best man for the job in managing a football team. If the team is successful, then the riches will follow. Gerrard feels very much like an option whereby if the football fails, then at least we made some money and got some media interest on the way.

I got to the stage I'd have taken anyone over LJ (within reason), but the longer this goes on, the more important it feels like we make the right decision.

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think you do GMcG a disservice.

Yes, they can’t afford to just make stuff up.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. I thought both wouldn't happen because they'd want to make big changes which would cost money.

So if Gerrard comes but needs so many millions to spend then what does that mean for FFP.

And what does that mean for all our very promising young players.

Also he'd be on a big salary. We'd have to pay off Rangers which would cost a fair bit I imagine. 

All this for a manager who has kind of done okay so far. Not really shown to be anything special. 

We have built some wiggle room on FFP, but we still need to be careful.

Maybe SL is banking on SG generating significant commercial revenue to close the cost gap and / or make up for covid lost revenues.

Maybe it’s a one season shot, taking advantage of the 3 year FFP cycle which includes 18/19s profit...although that sounds very unlike SL!

Its certainly gonna be interesting to see if it does happen.

Im just gonna sit back and chill.  I’ve no idea who is gonna get it.

SG and / or Rangers have obviously not given a definitive 'no', or I'm sure we wouldn't be wasting our time

I absolutely see the attraction of SG, name, reputation etc, but I'm not 100% sure he'd be the right man for us. But as I said on the Cowley thread, I was jumping through hoops when Coppell was appointed and devastated when Cotterill was

What will be, will be

20 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

That’s interesting.
That would surely complicate things if we’d wanted to put feelers out prior to giving LJ the elbow, as anything filering through to Gerrard would also reach LJ too.

So maybe we really have only started negotiations after LJ’s sacking?

No, I don't think it would complicate things. I think it may have given us an advantage in knowing that SG may fancy a move south, out of Rangers, if the right opportunity came up. doubt we'd be pursuing him over other available and interested candidates unless we had some decent intel that he would consider a move to City.

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Look back to how much coverage Derby got from sky under Frank Lampard 

Jesus it was a love in!

Agree there is some Sky/Championship opportunity there, especially with Leeds no longer being on every week, but I fully expect that gap to be filled by Villa.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, I don't think it would complicate things. I think it may have given us an advantage in knowing that SG may fancy a move south, out of Rangers, if the right opportunity came up. doubt we'd be pursuing him over other available and interested candidates unless we had some decent intel that he would consider a move to City.

Makes a lot of sense. Like it 

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. If we are to believe that Ashton forms close working relationships with certain agents - it's often been suggested that's a negative when it's come to bringing in players from the same agent - the upside is that it would allow discreet 'in principle' conversations about their other clients. An agency has a responsibility to all its clients, if one is leaving and that opens an opportunity for another that's perhaps very fortunate.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

the sounds coming from Rangers are that he just isn’t interested in coming here.  

Maybe he’s given a different impression in private,

Is what I’d heard 10 days ago. 
And City obviously know too, as per ⬇️⬇️

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

22 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

I just wish they would appoint a new head coach so that we can all stop speculating and get back to criticising

Don't worry WR, there's a fair bit of criticism built into the speculation.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm certainly not chilled ?

How would we make loads commercially? A few extra sky games maybe. But that wouldn't make a huge difference.

£100k for a televised home game. 
£120k if it’s a Sunday. 
£140k if a Thursday. 
£10k for an away game. 

Archived