IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

8 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Can anyone really identify what Gérard would bring to the club - - other than the glitz - has he proved himself in the management game? 

From the outside looking in:

Big name - means nothing to the fans, but would get us noticed outside of the area
Legend of the game - presumably that would be a magnet for certain players desperate to play for their hero
Stated he wants to develop through the youth system - stated aim of SL & MA
Should have some great connections to open up loan links

I'm not sure what is on the tick list that SL, JL and MA are working to, but I suspect they will all be on there

Is he a better bet than CH, NP, AN etc - who knows. We're only going to find out by appointing him

1 minute ago, 'Orns said:

From the outside looking in:

Big name - means nothing to the fans, but would get us noticed outside of the area
Legend of the game - presumably that would be a magnet for certain players desperate to play for their hero
Stated he wants to develop through the youth system - stated aim of SL & MA
Should have some great connections to open up loan links

I'm not sure what is on the tick list that SL, JL and MA are working to, but I suspect they will all be on there

Is he a better bet than CH, NP, AN etc - who knows. We're only going to find out by appointing him

It's an exciting gamble

14 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just looking at football insider then googled Steven Gerard. Steve Lansdown is claimed in the last hour to offer him 50,000.00 pounds P/W. 

And no I’m not on the beers yet 

To be honest, I could imagine that is close to the going rate for Gerrard, rightly or wrongly.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

To be honest, I could imagine that is close to the going rate for Gerrard, rightly or wrongly.

Look it up your self. Gerard is worth about 90 mill. The only other manager that was on more than 50K a week In the championship is the Leeds boss and he is now in the Prem. 

Perhaps its our turn next.

Just now, BCFC Grim said:

50k for someone who has achieved the square root of **** all.......ok.

Agree with you. I got beers in my esky and about to drink them

Just now, Top Robin said:

That would seem like good business if you factor in what we would get if he got us promoted to the Prem.

Like top robin. I ran out again 

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's an exciting gamble

It would be - that is exactly how I feel about Gerrard

He's a long way off getting the Liverpool job, he may as well make his name in England with another club first. Why not City?

I still can't see this happening although I do think that our board would prefer a younger manager. 

Hughton is 61

Gerrard is 40

I would be overwhelmed with either and it would be hilarious if we did secure Gerrard... Just to shut up Jim White at Talk Sport?

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Absolutely mental to pay a manager who has not shown himself to be anything special as a manager so far. 

Could get what so far appears to be a better manager who has over achieved at previous clubs for one fifth of that money.

I'd love to know which of the potential names on the list, who have achieved anything at this level, would come here for £10k a week?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

It's not like Lansdown always makes the right decisions is it?

Sod, McInnes...

Or David James signing the manager didn't even want

Isn't this where an experienced football man like MA comes into it?

Sources: Billionaire launches extraordinary offer to lure Rangers top earner from Ibrox

By
 Wayne Veysey
 -
21st July 2020 at 7:00am

Bristol City will make one final push to lure Steven Gerrard from Rangers by offering him a deal that would make him the highest-paid manager in the Championship next season, Football Insider understands.

Billionaire owner Steve Lansdown has not given up hope of trying to entice the 40-year-old from Ibrox ahead of the new Scottish campaign starting on 1 August.

A City source has told Football Insider the club are launching an extraordinary offer to Gerrard that would top his £2.5million-a-year Rangers package.

The Liverpool legend signed a new Rangers deal last December that runs until the summer of 2024.

That is equivalent to £50,000-a-week and higher than any Ibrox player under his command.

City are aware they face a huge battle to entice Gerrard as he is firmly fixed on his third season in Glasgow and stopping Celtic marching to 10-in-a-row.

The ambitious Championship club have not given up hope but will look elsewhere if they cannot persuade the Rangers manager by the end of this week.

As revealed by Football Insider, Gerrard has also been approached by Birmingham this summer but he knocked back the Championship outfit.

The highest paid manager currently in the Championship is Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa, who earns around £60,000-a-week.

4 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

It would be - that is exactly how I feel about Gerrard

He's a long way off getting the Liverpool job, he may as well make his name in England with another club first. Why not City?

That’s how I’m looking at it. For him to be Liverpool manager one day he will have to have success elsewhere. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I still can't see this happening although I do think that our board would prefer a younger manager. 

Hughton is 61

Gerrard is 40

I would be overwhelmed with either and it would be hilarious if we did secure Gerrard... Just to shut up Jim White at Talk Sport?

Well the club have put their choice "out there now" - Gerrard first choice - Hughton second

10 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

£50k for a manager who has won nothing at rangers in the 2 years he's been at the helm. I'd rather we put that £50k towards another manager with a proven track record. 

Remembering that we are a business to make money now.

Think of how many extra people will come to games because of his appointment

Think of how much merchandise the club will shift with his name / image

There's the extra money covered in no time

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Well the club have put their choice "out there now" - Gerrard first choice - Hughton second

You can pretty much guarantee we'd be on Sky live matches a lot more also, its the sort thing they'd lap up.  Ofc that is a double edged sword with likely changes to kick off times, but I think it would bring in extra revenue from TV fees and potentially advertising.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess the issue comes when you need to sack him. If he signs a three year deal and we're in the mire 6 months in, we'd have to pay over £6m in compensation. We would also need to buy out his contract in Scotland which I imagine will be another few million so it could be a very expensive risk. 

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's not like Lansdown always makes the right decisions is it?

Sod, McInnes...

Or David James signing the manager didn't even want

To be fair, if Lansdown/Bristol Sport always got it right, then City would be well established in the Premier League by now. 

Doubt there is an owner out there (who’s been the owner for a similar length of time) who’s never made a managerial mistake 

Just now, SuperDziek said:

Doubt there is an owner out there (who’s been the owner for a similar length of time) who’s never made a managerial mistake 

Watford make 3 a season and they're still in the Prem!

Archived