IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

14 hours ago, castle red said:

Gerrard never going to happen, Houghton been on his hols ,deal done ,in over the weekend....

Wasn’t Hughton in Sky studios summarising last Sunday?  Read something that he’s in Thailand?

I’m not disputing anything, just trying to piece stories together.

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Or perhaps this from Gerard...

"My people haven't heard anything from Bristol City, so I think it's just paper talk and rumours."

If this is true, then is that not like saying “I’ve had no contact, but I may be tempted” or did he follow it up with something else saying it didn’t matter anyway? 

This might sound a bit crazy but ....

Could we still be in for Gerrard? Its been reported but obviously not confirmed that Gerrard was our number one target at the start. 

There was a bit of media talk and then everything went quiet. Im sure Gerrard denied he was interested and was staying with Rangers but im sure ive read that there is a link with Gerrards agent and some of our players or staff so it would have surely be known if there was initial interest.

Rangers have a big european game tomorrow night that they are expected to lose. What if the delay on announcing the manager, delibrate decoy with the local press and absolute silence from the powers that be are because there is still a deal to be done with Gerrard

Very far fetched i know. 

14 minutes ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

Could we still be in for Gerrard? Its been reported but obviously not confirmed that Gerrard was our number one target at the start. 

There was a bit of media talk and then everything went quiet. Im sure Gerrard denied he was interested and was staying with Rangers but im sure ive read that there is a link with Gerrards agent and some of our players or staff so it would have surely be known if there was initial interest.

Rangers have a big european game tomorrow night that they are expected to lose. What if the delay on announcing the manager, delibrate decoy with the local press and absolute silence from the powers that be are because there is still a deal to be done with Gerrard

Very far fetched i know. 

Glad someone else posted this first as I have been thinking the same the longer things have gone on.

Only thing is Rangers went out and bought a couple of strikers yesterday. Whether he is involved in recruitment I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Glad someone else posted this first as I have been thinking the same the longer things have gone on.

Only thing is Rangers went out and bought a couple of strikers yesterday. Whether he is involved in recruitment I don't know.

I was thinking with him buying players, would indicate he is staying there for this season at least. 

Let me say that I don't think for one minute that Gerrard will come.

However, if we are still in for him, he's got a decision to make.

He's got to back himself to stay at Rangers or to come here.

If he stays at Rangers and they don't win the league, he'll be the man who oversaw Celtic win a 10th straight title (and the 8th and 9th!!).  

If he comes here and fails to achieve promotion, he'll just be another in a long line of managers who have not got us to the promised land....it won't be a spectacular failure (unless we're at the wrong end of the table).

I'd suggest that failure here won't be as damaging as failure at Rangers.

Also, achieving promotion here will possibly be viewed as a greater achievement than success at Rangers (winner of a 2 horse race)!

3 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Let me say that I don't think for one minute that Gerrard will come.

However, if we are still in for him, he's got a decision to make.

He's got to back himself to stay at Rangers or to come here.

If he stays at Rangers and they don't win the league, he'll be the man who oversaw Celtic win a 10th straight title (and the 8th and 9th!!).  

If he comes here and fails to achieve promotion, he'll just be another in a long line of managers who have not got us to the promised land....it won't be a spectacular failure (unless we're at the wrong end of the table).

I'd suggest that failure here won't be as damaging as failure at Rangers.

Also, achieving promotion here will possibly be viewed as a greater achievement than success at Rangers (winner of a 2 horse race)!

There’s a lifestyle aspect too. Not sure how enjoyable it is walking around Glasgow if you manage Celtic or Rangers. A lot of very deep hatred there. 

Whereas in Bristol, sure, he might get some lip off either one of the Gasheads, but otherwise a lot better QoL

4 hours ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

Very far fetched i know. 

I am obviously biased but Gerrard has recently went on record stating that it is an exciting time to be at Rangers. He has also recently stated he only wants players who are 100% focused on Rangers.

He and Ross Wilson have just spent £9m on two strikers, £3m on Hagi and are apparently working on some exciting signings.

If he can stop 10 then he will be a hero and I reckon he will 

4 minutes ago, rangers_fan said:

I am obviously biased but Gerrard has recently went on record stating that it is an exciting time to be at Rangers. He has also recently stated he only wants players who are 100% focused on Rangers.

He and Ross Wilson have just spent £9m on two strikers, £3m on Hagi and are apparently working on some exciting signings.

All about opinions but mine is Celtic will romp home for 10... sorry fella

7 minutes ago, rangers_fan said:

Nothing to do with how good or otherwise Gerrard is as a manager, Celtic's squad is far superior to Rangers and they have the incentive of being the first team in Scotland to win 10 in a row. I really can't see Rangers stopping them short of a freakish series of injuries to Celtic's star men.

1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

Nothing to do with how good or otherwise Gerrard is as a manager, Celtic's squad is far superior to Rangers and they have the incentive of being the first team in Scotland to win 10 in a row. I really can't see Rangers stopping them short of a freakish series of injuries to Celtic's star men.

From an outsider looking in I can see why you would think that. 

However Rangers have been slowly building something. In terms of quality and technical ability they have shown they are a match for Celtic on any given day. 

Now it is more about having the mental strength to believe they can go that one step further and string a run together. 

Just now, rangers_fan said:

From an outsider looking in I can see why you would think that. 

However Rangers have been slowly building something. In terms of quality and technical ability they have shown they are a match for Celtic on any given day. 

Now it is more about having the mental strength to believe they can go that one step further and string a run together. 

With all due respect I'm not really 'an outsider looking in' as I watch lots of Scottish football. Gerrard has improved Rangers and before Xmas they were looking close to the real deal. However, I believe they will fall short because of the following -

Morales is leaving and there is no guarantee his goals will be replaced by the ageing Defoe, Roofe or the Swiss lad.

Rangers don't have a leader in the style of Scott Brown.

Rangers defence is more vulnerable than Celtic's, although admittedly they have strengthened it.

Although the lack of crowd will minimise this at the moment, I believe the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United will be more 'up for it' against Rangers than they are against Celtic. 

I expect Celtic to win by at least 7 points.

If you want another winning bet, I had a few quid on St Mirren to be in the top six at 8-1 before Saturday. They have recruited well.

21 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

With all due respect I'm not really 'an outsider looking in' as I watch lots of Scottish football. Gerrard has improved Rangers and before Xmas they were looking close to the real deal. However, I believe they will fall short because of the following -

Morales is leaving and there is no guarantee his goals will be replaced by the ageing Defoe, Roofe or the Swiss lad.

Rangers don't have a leader in the style of Scott Brown.

Rangers defence is more vulnerable than Celtic's, although admittedly they have strengthened it.

Although the lack of crowd will minimise this at the moment, I believe the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United will be more 'up for it' against Rangers than they are against Celtic. 

I expect Celtic to win by at least 7 points.

If you want another winning bet, I had a few quid on St Mirren to be in the top six at 8-1 before Saturday. They have recruited well.

If we get the same Roofe that played for Leeds he will do well.

Also the Swiss lad (Itten) scored 20 goals last season for St Gallan. He has also scored 3 times in 2 appearances for Switzerland so he looks a good prospect.

In regards to the defence Rangers conceded the same amount of goals as Celtic last term and we were without our main CB (Helander) for the second half of the campaign.

We have plenty of leaders now IMO (Steven Davis, Allan McGregor, Goldson as well as Tav)

I completely get why we are written off, but I hope this our year :D

I remember thinking when we were going for 10 that it was a sure thing - and I was sadly mistaken.

He was never leaving Rangers for us but I'm not too disappointed- he wasn't really top tier on my list anyway- he seems to have done reasonably well but doesn't look (from the outside) like anything spectacular yet.

I get the commercial opportunities and the big name factor- absolutely- but as a manager, he didn't necessarily get me wildly excited- we have a bit of a problem or have in my time when it comes to signing 'names' too- we signed Bridges and Stewart in League One 2005, pretty disappointing! Age wise and ability wise should've been excellent at that level.

We signed Coppell AND a certain England GK in summer 2010- complete disaster and disappointment respectively.

in no way is that an endorsement for Holden but with respect to Gerrard, I didn't really or at least fully see the hype personally.  Not sour grapes as he stayed at Rangers, just wouldn't have been convinced.

On 05/08/2020 at 11:35, Northern Cider Ed said:

Very far fetched i know. 

Hmmmm maybe we have to wait for Rangers to finish their 2019/20 season to trigger some form of release clause, if this is the case it would explain why we have had to wait so long and possibly why the club have had to remain silent on the matter

I certainly believe, as many others do, that waiting 5 weeks for Dean Holden is really not in Steve Lansdown's repertoire. Its just not his style. What is his style is to appoint Holden a few days after Lee has left. That horse has long bolted.

There are decent reasons for the delay, I am sure of it. 

That does not excuse the silence; a statement, however waffling, is absolutely vital now. 

Archived