IGNORED

Building from a position of strength...we have a base, now what?

Mr Popodopolous

The temptation is often to not change a winning side. Not change a winning setup.

We saw this to an extent with the 15 game unbeaten run last season- there were still perhaps areas that could have been tweaked to make us more durable, to enable us to push on further when in a good place. However a much better example was our little surge of 5 wins in 6, eventually 6 in 8 from Luton at home to Derby away. The results were coming, the clean sheets were coming...yet the performances didn't feel sustainable. We were allowing far too many chances, we were not controlling the ball enough, we were not in the main controlling games as such.

3-5-2 and especially for the last two games vs Swansea and Preston- what do you do to tweak this and make it even better?

I'd suggest another CM alongside Smith and Paterson and field two out of Diedhiou, Wells and Weimann up front...I'd suggest CM for Diedhiou as Wells and Weimann combined very nicely today, can see that working quite well moving forward as well. That said you can mix and match a bit depending on opposition, fitness, form etc- but the system/shape seems a good base to build from.

It's always easier to tweak and improve from a position of strength, than when that run ends and you're scrambling to put it right. We've had good possession today and Tuesday overall, first half especially in each- but I'm a believer in constant improvement, always looking for that next tweak. You don't improve, you stall and then go backwards.

Over to you!

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The temptation is often to not change a winning side. Not change a winning setup.

We saw this to an extent with the 15 game unbeaten run last season- there were still perhaps areas that could have been tweaked to make us more durable, to enable us to push on further when in a good place. However a much better example was our little surge of 5 wins in 6, eventually 6 in 8 from Luton at home to Derby away. The results were coming, the clean sheets were coming...yet the performances didn't feel sustainable. We were allowing far too many chances, we were not controlling the ball enough, we were not in the main controlling games as such.

3-5-2 and especially for the last two games vs Swansea and Preston- what do you do to tweak this and make it even better?

I'd suggest another CM alongside Smith and Paterson and field two out of Diedhiou, Wells and Weimann up front...I'd suggest CM for Diedhiou as Wells and Weimann combined very nicely today, can see that working quite well moving forward as well. That said you can mix and match a bit depending on opposition, fitness, form etc- but the system/shape seems a good base to build from.

It's always easier to tweak and improve from a position of strength, than when that run ends and you're scrambling to put it right. We've had good possession today and Tuesday overall, first half especially in each- but I'm a believer in constant improvement, always looking for that next tweak. You don't improve, you stall and then go backwards.

Over to you!

I would think he will keep it the same for Stoke (fitness/tiredness being well).  Stoke are not a team that enjoy a lot of possession so Holden will probably feel it’s okay.  

However I would hope he would change it against Swansea and bring in Nagy for Weimann to make it a bit more solid.  I think a better team would dominate our midfield. Korey Smith’s hugely underrated performance yesterday hid the defensive deficiencies of the current set up. 

The next three games will be interesting to see and will give us a bit more insight into Holden. If he wins them all I expect him to get the job. 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I would think he will keep it the same for Stoke (fitness/tiredness being well).  Stoke are not a team that enjoy a lot of possession so Holden will probably feel it’s okay.  

However I would hope he would change it against Swansea and bring in Nagy for Weimann to make it a bit more solid.  I think a better team would dominate our midfield. Korey Smith’s hugely underrated performance yesterday hid the defensive deficiencies of the current set up. 

The next three games will be interesting to see and will give us a bit more insight into Holden. If he wins them all I expect him to get the job. 

Mr Pop,

yes if we win these ones he will get the job for now. This should stop most of the crap about Houghton and the mix of others than are reacting to tabloid miss information.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Over to you!

As others have pointed out, we generally do better when Fam is on the pitch. Playing 3 at the back and 2 upfront isn’t necessarily the problem, as Sheffield United showed against Chelsea yesterday.

I know that this might sound bonkers but depending how the Stoke game goes, if anyone is to be swapped out for Swansea and Preston, to make us more robust in the centre of the field, it would be one of Paterson or Weimann, to be replaced by probably Massengo, as it will be important to have someone willing to run and challenge a lot, even though he is still too lightweight at this level.

Personally, I would continue with our current team and formation, both for consistency and to see if it really works. Given our current goal difference, we are really 4 points off the playoffs with 3 games to go. Not likely, but our best chance of winning the last 3 matches of the season is to go for it in an attacking sense, using our best and most experienced players, who are truly match fit, and not starting with CO’D in midfield!

39 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

WHAT ?  We were superb defensively yesterday. What game were you watching ??

Archived