IGNORED

papers

Hampshire reds

6 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if you believe what you read in the papers.   if chris is the man we want then we have to move quickly. Birmingham are ready to offer him there job. like i say if you believe the papers. Does anyone think a decision will be made before this season finishes. 

He's currently 14/1 with sky bet so will be interesting to see if those odds shorten. Lee Bowyer is currently favourite with Robbie Fowler second which would be a massive gamble 

9 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if you believe what you read in the papers.   if chris is the man we want then we have to move quickly. Birmingham are ready to offer him there job. like i say if you believe the papers. Does anyone think a decision will be made before this season finishes. 

I don't believe the papers, so everything you said after that, can I ignore it?

21 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

He's currently 14/1 with sky bet so will be interesting to see if those odds shorten. Lee Bowyer is currently favourite with Robbie Fowler second which would be a massive gamble 

Not sure where you get 14/1 from. Currently 6/5 on skybet unless you mean for the Brum job?

I reckon Hughton could be waiting for the Fulham job.

I honestly think Chris' slightly been overrated on here, he's had parachute payments at every club he's managed at this level and very experienced players. Brighton are the exception, but completely busted FFP guidelines to get up.

Great record at this level but some context is needed.

Stockdale, Knockaert, Kayal, etc were all supposedly on circa £30kpw at BHA.

Newcastle, he had the same squad they basically came down with.

Birmingham still had deep pockets at the point he was in charge (?).

For those reasons I hope its Jokanovic. Took an astute italian-assembled squad from Zola, which finished 12 in 2014 and had 3 managers before he took over in the start of October, and hauled them up to finishing second with a game to spare. And we know his record at Fulham.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

I honestly think Chris' slightly been overrated on here, he's had parachute payments at every club he's managed at this level and very experienced players. Brighton are the exception, but completely busted FFP guidelines to get up.

For those reasons I hope its Jokanovic. Took an astute italian-assembled squad from Zola, which finished 12 in 2014 and had 3 managers before he took over in the start of October, and hauled them up to finishing second with a game to spare. And we know his record at Fulham.

They didn’t bust FFP at all.  But they massively increased wage bill (and losses as a result) in their promotion season.  Had they not got promoted then they would’ve needed to scale back.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Let’s recall what SL has said so far - 

In one breath he says "We're looking for a particular type & don't want to throw away what LJ did"

Next breath "We want to get to The Prem ASAP"

Sounds like "Cake & Eat it"

Shame he didn't get rid of LJ sooner then, 2 years ago would have been good!

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They didn’t bust FFP at all.  But they massively increased wage bill (and losses as a result) in their promotion season.  Had they not got promoted then they would’ve needed to scale back.

Exactly, I do wonder whether we play FFP a little too literally at times. It’s sport and if you want success, you have to gamble to some degree. Another way to work with if FFP is not to carry too big a squad bug make sure the wages you pay are on quality - I think that could be said of Brighton. 

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree I think Houghton is overrated too.

But I'd rather him than Robbie Fowler!

How on earth is he 2nd favourite!? Very strange.

Nutter in charge. ?

As the meerkat says. Simples.

7 hours ago, Fuber said:

Given heavy infrastructure expenditure I'm not sure if Brighton did- I remember raising it a while back with Kieran Maguire and he pointed out, x y and z. I think they likely passed.

Nonetheless, if he comes with large transfer demands in Covid times especially it could be tricky here.

For varying reasons, I'd be very happy with any of Jokanovic, Cook or Hughton- in no particular order- but these are possibly my top 3 at present.

As you say, quite a few experienced players- at odds with some elements of our policy. Of course there is flex and both wold have to adjust their expectations a bit.

Yeah Brighton, been a while since I looked at them but had a quick look at their accounts and some areas that are of course exempt under FFP...think they pushed it to or near the limits Didn't break but as @Davefevs says higher up, no promotion=scale back!

7 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Clubs will wait for a bit as a few PL managers will become available IMHO.

Farke, DS - maybe Eddie Howe although that’s probably unlikely

I hope we aren’t a club that’s waiting for a Prem failure to ignite our promotion prospects.

I would prefer a coach who’s not had a gruelling season fighting relegation. I want a coach who has recharged his batteries and wants to add a new promotion to his C.V. 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I hope we aren’t a club that’s waiting for a Prem failure to ignite our promotion prospects.

I would prefer a coach who’s not had a gruelling season fighting relegation. I want a coach who has recharged his batteries and wants to add a new promotion to his C.V. 

Moyes, Bruce ?

5 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Exactly, I do wonder whether we play FFP a little too literally at times. It’s sport and if you want success, you have to gamble to some degree. Another way to work with if FFP is not to carry too big a squad bug make sure the wages you pay are on quality - I think that could be said of Brighton. 

Could argue this in the earlier days and with the benefit of hindsight which I am doing to an extent, but think it is likely to be enforced more rigourously moving forward- remember the EFL have the power, on paper, to impose penalties based in-season.

T-2=Real Accounts for 2 years before, so say 2017/18.

T-1=Real Accounts for prior season- so that'd be last season.

T=Projected Accounts for the current season.

EFL are meant to analyse this there and then and refer to a Disciplinary Hearing where required! Are also meant to analyse for fudges and independently verify using evidence or comparables there and then, hence why clubs stick 'T' in at the start of March of the existing season, along with T-1 and T-2.

This system has not been enforced correctly but post Covid, Harvey and Bury, unless we move onto a Salary cap instead, I expect it to be!

Archived