IGNORED

Application Process

barneyrubble

Anyone have any idea what the application process is for the manager job. I'm intrigued as to what actually happens, is it a formal process ie form , task,interview or is it we fancy you come and have a chat here's the job.

Would love it if all candidates had to put on sessions for fans to watch ,then pick a team and manage it for a practice match.

Anyone know?

34 minutes ago, barneyrubble said:

Anyone have any idea what the application process is for the manager job. I'm intrigued as to what actually happens, is it a formal process ie form , task,interview or is it we fancy you come and have a chat here's the job.

That's an interesting question - I was only thinking the same myself. Do they follow the same process as other corporates, i'm assuming they must shortlist from all the applications they recieve (in whatever guise that takes - does an interested potential manager send in his CV or get his agent to do it?). How many would they normally interview for example?

It would be really interesting to know.

2 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

That's an interesting question - I was only thinking the same myself. Do they follow the same process as other corporates, i'm assuming they must shortlist from all the applications they recieve (in whatever guise that takes - does an interested potential manager send in his CV or get his agent to do it?). How many would they normally interview for example?

It would be really interesting to know.

41 minutes ago, barneyrubble said:

Would love it if all candidates had to put on sessions for fans to watch ,then pick a team and manage it for a practice match.

Anyone know?

I would imagine the club will have their preferred list , and contact will be made via agents to identify if individual is interested. Likewise , agents will contact the club to advise their client is interested who may not have been considered previously. I know Lee said he did a PowerPoint presentation as part of his interview 

Just now, daored said:

I would imagine the club will have their preferred list , and contact will be made via agents to identify if individual is interested. Likewise , agents will contact the club to advise their client is interested who may not have been considered previously. I know Lee said he did a PowerPoint presentation as part of his interview 

So Dave Gorman’s not the only comedian who uses PowerPoint then?!

Amazes me that Ashton hasn’t had a couple of suitable candidates lined up since early January. It was pretty obvious that something was badly wrong around the time of the Shrewsbury matches and that he would have to find a replacement before July (thinking pre pandemic).

2 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

They have to reply to every applicant (same as any company would). Literally anybody can apply by sending a CV with a covering letter they have to write back to you. 

I’m not sure they have to, although clearly it’s polite for them to do so. 

It's all a bit silly & pointless isn't it?

It's top level sport, identify the best man for your club ( or project as it's now called) and sell the club to them.

Do we really think Jürgen sent a CV and letter to Liverpool and sat there in his best suit being asked " So Jürgen - is it ok to call you Jürgen? - can you tell us a about a problem that you have encountered in your workplace affecting the business - how did you solve it, what tools you used and what corrective action you took to ensure the problem didn't reoccur? Feel free to use the whiteboard and your tablet to show your work."

What for example is Jon Lansdown going to ask Steven Gerrard

16 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Amazes me that Ashton hasn’t had a couple of suitable candidates lined up since early January. It was pretty obvious that something was badly wrong around the time of the Shrewsbury matches and that he would have to find a replacement before July (thinking pre pandemic).

No fan of Ashton, but how do we know he hasn’t?

Plus of course “suitable” candidates tend to find themselves back in work quickly, so may not be on the market by the time we had a vacancy.

I expect the process is something along these lines, candidates (often through their agent) make us aware they are interested, we then sift doing due diligence & speaking to previous employers before settling on a shortlist, who are interviewed including a presentation (fairly standard these days, I did one for my current role) & then informal conversations take place around terms & support staff before we finally decide.

1 hour ago, barneyrubble said:

Anyone know?

Hi Steven

1 hour ago, barneyrubble said:

Anyone know?

I can only guess...............:cool2:

I imagine that JL will have idea of who he’d like to approach but as for manager’s actually applying I imagine they’d get their agent to do it for them.

That said it’s common knowledge that managers gets head hunted so maybe the next man is already been signed up but the club are waiting until the end of the season before getting the fanfare trumpets out.

15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure they have to, although clearly it’s polite for them to do so. 

Yeah they don't have to. Plenty of adverts now say something like "if you haven't heard from us within X days of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful", especially if they're expecting a large number of applications.

22 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

They have to reply to every applicant (same as any company would). Literally anybody can apply by sending a CV with a covering letter they have to write back to you. 

In my experience of job hunting, it's extremely rare to get a reply these days. You're lucky if you can get feedback from an interview.

Obviously, in this instance I'm sure a reply would be forthcoming…but then again if SL (allegedly) sacked Cotts via text, who knows?!!!

31 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

They don’t have to, most job adverts say if you don’t hear back your application hasn’t been successful or we can’t respond to all applicants individually blah blah blah.  

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

They don’t have to, most job adverts say if you don’t hear back your application hasn’t been successful or we can’t respond to all applicants individually blah blah blah.  

Apologies didn’t see other replies 

49 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

It's top level sport, identify the best man for your club ( or project as it's now called) and sell the club to them.

Do we really think Jürgen sent a CV and letter to Liverpool and sat there in his best suit being asked " So Jürgen - is it ok to call you Jürgen? - can you tell us a about a problem that you have encountered in your workplace affecting the business - how did you solve it, what tools you used and what corrective action you took to ensure the problem didn't reoccur? Feel free to use the whiteboard and your tablet to show your work."

You seriously think they can choose someone and offer them the job without even interviewing them? You can shortlist people on reputation, maybe, but then you have to find out whether they can work within the framework/budget etc on offer. 

1 hour ago, daored said:

I would imagine the club will have their preferred list individual, which is why the club is waiting until the end of the season to progress matters. 

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Sheesh, that sent chills down my spine! I've had interviews like that, usually accompanied by bollox answers from me like "Well, my biggest weakness is I'm probably too much of a perfectionist"

27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You seriously think they can choose someone and offer them the job without even interviewing them? You can shortlist people on reputation, maybe, but then you have to find out whether they can work within the framework/budget etc on offer. 

You have missed my point , of course you talk but we should target and approach suitable candidate(s).  Someone in a job for example may not want to apply ( and if turned down and it becomes known- awkward).  That's why think sitting back and waiting to see who applies is outdated.

The fact that Captain Bullshit said "you'd be surprised who has contacted us" shows he impressed by "names". Who'd heard of Pochetino (or could even spell his name) when Saints approached him

1 hour ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I applied for the England managers job when they sacked Graham Taylor. Got a lovely letter back aswell.

22 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You have missed my point , of course you talk but we should target and approach suitable candidate(s).  Someone in a job for example may not want to apply ( and if turned down and it becomes known- awkward).  That's why think sitting back and waiting to see who applies is outdated.

The fact that Captain Bullshit said "you'd be surprised who has contacted us" shows he impressed by "names". Who'd heard of Pochetino (or could even spell his name) when Saints approached him

I don't think it matters what captain bullshit thinks, if he even gets an opportunity to think at all.

Last time we sacked a manager, a replacement was in within days... This time a week on there has been no progress at all. Draw your own conclusions, but I suspect we are I'll prepared for what had to happen after the Cardiff game and the last couple of results have put the process on hold until season finishes...

24 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I don’t think I missed your point, with respect. You implied there was no point in our board interviewing Gerrard as JL wouldn’t know what to ask him, so suggesting some candidates are above being quizzed.

It is perfectly obvious that we will approach people actively as well as considering applications from less obvious candidates.

1 hour ago, gamon said:

I don't think it matters what captain bullshit thinks, if he even gets an opportunity to think at all.

Last time we sacked a manager, a replacement was in within days... This time a week on there has been no progress at all. Draw your own conclusions, but I suspect we are I'll prepared for what had to happen after the Cardiff game and the last couple of results have put the process on hold until season finishes...

Last time we sacked a manager it was more days than you remember - 19 to be precise.

Cotts was sacked on January 14. LJ was appointed 6 Feb. There was a lot of panic at the time about not having a permanent manager in place for the end of the transfer window. 

EDIT: SOD to Cotts was only five days though.

Archived