IGNORED

Application Process

barneyrubble

3 hours ago, Onthefence said:

That's an interesting question - I was only thinking the same myself. Do they follow the same process as other corporates, i'm assuming they must shortlist from all the applications they recieve (in whatever guise that takes - does an interested potential manager send in his CV or get his agent to do it?). How many would they normally interview for example?

It would be really interesting to know.

Don’t dream. Football is different and not a comparison to normal corporate policies or procedures. I could send a CV even and pretend S$#T 

DH will be in the position for the next few weeks so dont expect another appointment in the next few days.

31 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Last time we sacked a manager it was more days than you remember - 19 to be precise.

Cotts was sacked on January 14. LJ was appointed 6 Feb. There was a lot of panic at the time about not having a permanent manager in place for the end of the transfer window. 

EDIT: SOD to Cotts was only five days though.

Ha ha, that was the one I was thinking of having almost completely erased the LJ experiment from my mind... 

Who knows what we'll end up with this time, but with Lansdown senior picking I'm not sure I've much confidence....

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

It's all a bit silly & pointless isn't it?

It's top level sport, identify the best man for your club ( or project as it's now called) and sell the club to them.

Do we really think Jürgen sent a CV and letter to Liverpool and sat there in his best suit being asked " So Jürgen - is it ok to call you Jürgen? - can you tell us a about a problem that you have encountered in your workplace affecting the business - how did you solve it, what tools you used and what corrective action you took to ensure the problem didn't reoccur? Feel free to use the whiteboard and your tablet to show your work."

What for example is Jon Lansdown going to ask Steven Gerrard

Klopp went to a meeting with the owners in New York. He wore a suit but no tie, just an open neck shirt. He'd already turned down approaches from Spurs and Man Ure in previous seasons. Liverpool had already done all the due diligence they required and identified him as the man they wanted. 

I'm hoping City would do similar but I'm fearing that may not be the case going on previous appointments 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Last time we sacked a manager it was more days than you remember - 19 to be precise.

Cotts was sacked on January 14. LJ was appointed 6 Feb. There was a lot of panic at the time about not having a permanent manager in place for the end of the transfer window. 

EDIT: SOD to Cotts was only five days though.

It took so long to appoint LJ because as soon as   Cotts was sacked Captain Bullshit came in and carried out an extensive appraisal of all the young up and coming coaches in the country. No stone,rock, or pebble was unturned and every pond,river, and lake was extensively fished to ensure the talent pool was comprehensively searched. The results were analysed, appraised, ....contacts were spoken to and the one coach that came out top of every graph, chart, and list was

LJ

according to the cap'n. He then recommend him to SL.

Hence the 19 days. The pursuit of excellence cannot be rushed.

24 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Klopp went to a meeting with the owners in New York. He wore a suit but no tie, just an open neck shirt. He'd already turned down approaches from Spurs and Man Ure in previous seasons. Liverpool had already done all the due diligence they required and identified him as the man they wanted. 

I'm hoping City would do similar but I'm fearing that may not be the case going on previous appointments 

I'm not sure Klopp would leave Liverpool.....worth a call though ?

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

You seriously think they can choose someone and offer them the job without even interviewing them? You can shortlist people on reputation, maybe, but then you have to find out whether they can work within the framework/budget etc on offer. 

I know this is players, not managers but Alan Simonsen thought he signed for Bobby Charlton at Man Utd, not Charlton Athletic....and AC Milan didn’t realise Luther Blissett was black!

4 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

Give me an example of a time when...........

Straight out the LBG Question Bank ???

Still remember interviewing someone who used the same example from when I’d interviewed them 3 years previously.  I then asked, got any other examples in the 3 years between!!

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Amazes me that Ashton hasn’t had a couple of suitable candidates lined up since early January. It was pretty obvious that something was badly wrong around the time of the Shrewsbury matches and that he would have to find a replacement before July (thinking pre pandemic).

They obviously did when Cotts left. I genuinely think this time they believed their own hype.... that Lee would be here forever. 

6 hours ago, CodeRed said:

It's all a bit silly & pointless isn't it?

It's top level sport, identify the best man for your club ( or project as it's now called) and sell the club to them.

Do we really think Jürgen sent a CV and letter to Liverpool and sat there in his best suit being asked " So Jürgen - is it ok to call you Jürgen? - can you tell us a about a problem that you have encountered in your workplace affecting the business - how did you solve it, what tools you used and what corrective action you took to ensure the problem didn't reoccur? Feel free to use the whiteboard and your tablet to show your work."

Ha ha, what a belting picture that describes! Mr Klopp nervously adjusting his tie and checking his research about the company for the 100th time before being summoned.

Loving that CodeRed. ?

3 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Unlikely there'll be a role play session in the selection process.

But if there was, what do you think the role play would be?

You have a disruptive player in the dressing room who doesn`t respect you and takes the piss all the time.

You will be the Head Coach and young Jon over here will be Lee Tomlin.

I hope it's a tough process. Bringing in a consultant (experienced ex manager) would also be a consideration to oversea the operation. 

Just because you shortlist 3 or 4 should not give them an easy ride. 

I said in a previous post I would want the following

1. Complete break down of squad. Players strengths weakness. Best positions and what you would coach them on in priority. 

2. Complete break down of several of our games. Tactics and setup etc

3. Complete break down of 3 or 4 championship teams. Tactics setup 

4. Understanding of our project. How it would effect you. How you can add value to that. 

5. Identify transfer targets. 

6. Short term goals (1-2 seasons,)

7. Long term goal. (3-4 seasons)

Something along those lines 

6 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I hope it's a tough process. Bringing in a consultant (experienced ex manager) would also be a consideration to oversea the operation. 

1. Complete break down of squad. Players strengths weakness. Best positions and what you would coach them on in priority. 

4. Understanding of our project. How it would effect you. How you can add value to that. 

8. How many teams in Bristol 

12 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

They have to reply to every applicant (same as any company would). Literally anybody can apply by sending a CV with a covering letter they have to write back to you. 

I still haven't heard back.

11 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

What does the canteen serve up ? Do I get a discount in the bar ? Can I borrow your plane ?

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

What does the canteen serve up ? Do I get a discount in the bar ? Can I borrow your plane ?

SL - “of course you can, I bought it for Jon when he was small, and it’s been gathering dust in the shed”

image.thumb.jpeg.7b0dc08cf13ad3b3f28275109096f20a.jpeg

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know this is players, not managers but Alan Simonsen thought he signed for Bobby Charlton at Man Utd, not Charlton Athletic....and AC Milan didn’t realise Luther Blissett was black!

I think AC Milan thought they were getting John Barnes.  Pretty sure that the issue wasn’t that Blissett was black.

the process starts with a list of potential managers the club would employ. mark ashton  has the job of phoning them all to draw up a shortlist.

it goes like this. 'hello daniel,mark ashton at bristol city here'   'mark who??' hangs up and name goes in bin.

18 hours ago, harvey54 said:

No, we would meet the new man in a Car Park in Pill over lunch comprising a Thermos Flask and Corned Beef Sandwiches

8 hours ago, Superjack said:

1. Get a load of applications in.

2. Tell the media that you have a load of applications in.

3. Come out with a comment like “you’d be surprised at who is interested”

4. Appoint Michael Appleton.

On 13/07/2020 at 08:35, CodeRed said:

JL "So Stevie G, tells us about your biggest weakness?"
SG "My honesty..."
MA - "I wouldn't say being honest is a weakness..."
SG " I couldn't give a **** what you think..."

Archived