IGNORED

Will fans be allowed in next season?

reddogkev

Oxford scientists reaffirmed claims that by October we will have a functional vaccine that provides protection for at least a mid term range of time. AstraZeneca already producing the vaccine in huge numbers. With that in mind we may well have full capacity capability by November. 

15 minutes ago, James54De said:

Oxford scientists reaffirmed claims that by October we will have a functional vaccine that provides protection for at least a mid term range of time. AstraZeneca already producing the vaccine in huge numbers. With that in mind we may well have full capacity capability by November. 

Matt Hancock has just given an interview saying this year its very unlikely we'll have a vaccine this year, more likely to be next year. Order for vaccination is serious vulnerable health conditions, the elderly and front line workers. From there they're working from oldest to youngest.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Matt Hancock has just given an interview saying this year its very unlikely we'll have a vaccine this year, more likely to be next year. Order for vaccination is serious vulnerable health conditions, the elderly and front line workers. From there they're working from oldest to youngest.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/15/coronavirus-vaccine-breakthrough-oxford-scientists-discover/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594845620

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Behind a paywall/sign up requirement

What I put was just going off what Hancock said directly in an interview

The one on Peston? I've seen that, and to me it just seemed that he didn't want to commit to anything. Personally, I'm excited by whats coming from the very scientists that have created this vaccine. Maybe I'm being a touch to positive.

On 14/07/2020 at 11:34, Harry said:

The club can always say no. 

Anyway, I’m not bothered about all those games you listed - 27 wrongs don’t make a right. 

It’s a transparency issue. Robins TV or refund - options given and decisions made. 2 days later 2 kick offs are changed. Now another. That’s 3 of the 9 games they ‘sold’ me. 33.33%. One third. It’s not very transparent. I don’t care who’s decision it is, it’s bull. 

Just seen this Harry.  The 5pm kick off is a bit crap isn’t it.  It’s not a Friday evening or Sunday lunchtime, it’s either work or travel from work time.  I think that is unfair.

i accept they had to put something in place for this season quite quickly, and it’s stood up technically...but there is plenty to learn for a seriously priced customer offering for next season.

1 hour ago, James54De said:

The one on Peston? I've seen that, and to me it just seemed that he didn't want to commit to anything. Personally, I'm excited by whats coming from the very scientists that have created this vaccine. Maybe I'm being a touch to positive.

The American results look very promising as well, and no I don't think you are being too positive, we may have to have it annually (the jab) until if ever it's eradicated but it's a price I'm more than willing to pay if it gets us all back to normality as it's getting a little wearing now.

3 hours ago, James54De said:

It seems very positive but I do wonder how it can be ready and  defy the usual process of creating a vaccine, understanding if it’s safe over years not months, whether or not it causes severe problems in groups of people long term. I’m certainly no anti vaxxer but shipping one out before the end of the year is just fuelling the tin foil hat wearers fire. It doesn’t seem healthy from a basic scientific point of view unless there has been some truly remarkable breakthroughs we haven’t been told about for a vaccine to be 100% safe and ready to go in the space of 8-10 months. 

England v Wales friendly just announced - Wembley, October 8th, behind closed doors.

Doesn't sound very promising for a return of fans any time soon if they've already made their minds up there won't be any fans there.

One thing I would say is - if right now we can go to pubs, gyms, offices and use public transport - surely it should be possible in October for, say, 20,000 people to attend a game in a stadium built for 90,000.

• Admin
1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

England v Wales friendly just announced - Wembley, October 8th, behind closed doors.

Doesn't sound very promising for a return of fans any time soon if they've already made their minds up there won't be any fans there.

One thing I would say is - if right now we can go to pubs, gyms, offices and use public transport - surely it should be possible in October for, say, 20,000 people to attend a game in a stadium built for 90,000.

I wondered about that but league grounds would be used fortnightly at worst so would be used to crowds, where as places like this wont be used to dealing with people, I expect for a one off fixture it wont be worth the hassle

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wondered about that but league grounds would be used fortnightly at worst so would be used to crowds, where as places like this wont be used to dealing with people, I expect for a one off fixture it wont be worth the hassle

It just feels like a slightly premature decision to rule out fans for a game three months away, in a stadium so huge it could easily host substantial numbers with social distancing.

People are paid to prepare Wembley for big events and sooner or later they will have to put in the infrastructure and arrangements for the "new normal" - this could have been a test event.

As You maybe read my posts in June in Hungary it was already allowed to have fans without any limitations in the stadiums. Today the operative persons held a press conference in which they said there will be no change in this at the start of the next season (15/08, pre-season starts today for all teams). There will be no full houses I think as there wasn't one for our main derby which was also a celebration for the champions: it was obvious a lot of people were afraid to go to a huge crowd like that. But its also for the better I guess: You still get to decide whether You go or not and fans behaved quite well and in an orderly fashion yet the athmosphere was still fantastic. And more importantly it had no negative effect on the spreading of the virus: during the last 7 matchdays 128.948 fans were at the games (only the last 3 rounds were "all can come in", the others restricted the fans to 1/4 of the stadium capacity) and there were not a single COVID positive case in context of the games.

On 13/07/2020 at 09:31, BOSRed said:

It should be only season ticket holders allowed in initially. Would actually be a good for business as there would be a greater uptake in season tickets to get in. Reckon you could fit 14k people in the stands with an unused seat between each person?

14k - no chance.

You would need at least 2 seats between each person to even get to the 1m+ distancing. You wouldn't be allowed to sit on the aisle seat. 25% is a reasonable estimate. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

You would need at least 2 seats between each person to even get to the 1m+ distancing. You wouldn't be allowed to sit on the aisle seat. 25% is a reasonable estimate. 

No you wouldn't

Families and those from the two "bubbles" can sit together that would open the door to many sitting together in blocks

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

No you wouldn't

Families and those from the two "bubbles" can sit together that would open the door to many sitting together in blocks

Not a realistic idea. In Australia(?) families still need to be sat 2 seats apart so it didn't effect the seats in the rows above and below. 

5 hours ago, phantom said:

No you wouldn't

Fair point but how would the club ever police that? The logistics would be an absolute nightmare and the turnstiles, entrances, exits, concourses would also have to allow social distancing

22 hours ago, James54De said:

Yeah, let's rush through a vaccine- that'll go well... ?

28 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Fair point but how would the club ever police that? The logistics would be an absolute nightmare and the turnstiles, entrances, exits, concourses would also have to allow social distancing

Gates open at midday.

People wear masks, get temperature tested or similar on entry.

Socially distanced queuing.

That's probably just off the top of my head- for starters.

Fanzone- Nah. Pub before game? Nah.

Would food and drink outlets be opened during the game? You'd have to think not!

Some of these can of course be subject and in fact all of it should be subject to ongoing review in conjunction with the Government and the science, but that's an idea for what a starting point might look like...

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gates open at midday.

People wear masks, get temperature tested or similar on entry.

Socially distanced queuing.

That's probably just off the top of my head- for starters.

Fanzone- Nah. Pub before game? Nah.

Would food and drink outlets be opened during the game? You'd have to think not!

Some of these can of course be subject and in fact all of it should be subject to ongoing review in conjunction with the Government and the science, but that's an idea for what a starting point might look like...

Yes just like shops but I can't see a 14k crowd with those restrictions. Look how empty supermarkets are due to the restrictions on social distancing.  If you assume no away supporters, and thats a big assumption, you'd be looking at 4k in Lansdown, South and Dolman stands with 2k in the Atyeo, still think thats too crowded especially at the final whistle.

I guess the government will decide if crowds and council H&S the size. 

Personally I find the matches on TV with no crowd are crap worse than pre season friendlies so the sooner the better but it needs to be safe.

5 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Yes just like shops but I can't see a 14k crowd with those restrictions. Look how empty supermarkets are due to the restrictions on social distancing.  If you assume no away supporters, and thats a big assumption, you'd be looking at 4k in Lansdown, South and Dolman stands with 2k in the Atyeo, still think thats too crowded especially at the final whistle.

I guess the government will decide if crowds and council H&S the size. 

Personally I find the matches on TV with no crowd are crap worse than pre season friendlies so the sooner the better but it needs to be safe.

25% was the mentioned amount I thought? Unsure at which point 14k (so about 50% give or take) would become feasible?

Forgot to add, no away fans either of course. Not for forseeable anyway.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Daft question Mr P, especially for someone that works in pharmacies but the Oxford vaccine is supposedly a 'live' vaccine. If you're at high / elevated risk, do you take it knowing you could be ill?

28 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Daft question Mr P, especially for someone that works in pharmacies but the Oxford vaccine is supposedly a 'live' vaccine. If you're at high / elevated risk, do you take it knowing you could be ill?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oxford are using a method that they have been developing for a while. They place the genome of covid inside a virus that they know does not effect humans at all (chimpanzee adenovirus). That replicates the protein production from Sars-CoV-2. This is a modern method which makes the bodies reaction to the shot very predictable, unlike past viruses. That is why scientists in the Jenner Institute have been so confident from so early. 

Previously, vaccines have been a case of trial and error. In this case it is a precise science where the result can be predicted long before tests.

11 minutes ago, James54De said:

Oxford are using a method that they have been developing for a while. They place the genome of covid inside a virus that they know does not effect humans at all (chimpanzee adenovirus). That replicates the protein production from Sars-CoV-2. This is a modern method which makes the bodies reaction to the shot very predictable, unlike past viruses. That is why scientists in the Jenner Institute have been so confident from so early. 

Previously, vaccines have been a case of trial and error. In this case it is a precise science where the result can be predicted long before tests.

TY James and your knowledge is way ahead of mine, but is it a 'live' virus? As someone who's been through sepsis and pneumonia and works for the NHS support and suppy chain, I would appreciate knowing my friend. I could always ask a customer but I'm sure you appreciate the concern. 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

TY James and your knowledge is way ahead of mine, but is it a 'live' virus? As someone who's been through sepsis and pneumonia and works for the NHS support and suppy chain, I would appreciate knowing my friend. I could always ask a customer but I'm sure you appreciate the concern. 

My knowledge is limited to small bits of research done in lockdown. Well, if I'm going to be kept inside by the virus for months, I'm going to try and know about this virus. Oxford's website states this:

"A chimpanzee adenovirus vaccine vector (ChAdOx1), developed at Oxford’s Jenner Institute, was chosen as the most suitable vaccine technology for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine as it can generate a strong immune response from one dose and it is not a replicating virus, so it cannot cause an ongoing infection in the vaccinated individual. This also makes it safer to give to children, the elderly and anyone with a pre-existing condition such as diabetes. Chimpanzee adenoviral vectors are a very well-studied vaccine type, having been used safely in thousands of subjects, from 1 week to 90 years of age, in vaccines targeting over 10 different diseases. 

Coronaviruses have club-shaped spikes on their outer coats. Immune responses from other coronavirus studies suggest that these are a good target for a vaccine. The Oxford vaccine contains the genetic sequence of this surface spike protein inside the ChAdOx1 construct. After vaccination, the surface spike protein of the coronavirus is produced, which primes the immune system to attack the coronavirus if it later infects the body. Prof. Gilbert and team have previously developed a vaccine for another human coronavirus disease, which is Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and this has shown promise in early clinical trials."

From that it sounds like the adenovirus they build from is completely safe to humans and is modified to ensure it can not replicate in the human body anyway. 

10 minutes ago, James54De said:

My knowledge is limited to small bits of research done in lockdown. Well, if I'm going to be kept inside by the virus for months, I'm going to try and know about this virus. Oxford's website states this:

"A chimpanzee adenovirus vaccine vector (ChAdOx1), developed at Oxford’s Jenner Institute, was chosen as the most suitable vaccine technology for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine as it can generate a strong immune response from one dose and it is not a replicating virus, so it cannot cause an ongoing infection in the vaccinated individual. This also makes it safer to give to children, the elderly and anyone with a pre-existing condition such as diabetes. Chimpanzee adenoviral vectors are a very well-studied vaccine type, having been used safely in thousands of subjects, from 1 week to 90 years of age, in vaccines targeting over 10 different diseases. 

Coronaviruses have club-shaped spikes on their outer coats. Immune responses from other coronavirus studies suggest that these are a good target for a vaccine. The Oxford vaccine contains the genetic sequence of this surface spike protein inside the ChAdOx1 construct. After vaccination, the surface spike protein of the coronavirus is produced, which primes the immune system to attack the coronavirus if it later infects the body. Prof. Gilbert and team have previously developed a vaccine for another human coronavirus disease, which is Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and this has shown promise in early clinical trials."

From that it sounds like the adenovirus they build from is completely safe to humans and is modified to ensure it can not replicate in the human body anyway. 

Nice one James. That reads like a dilute version of the CV19 is part of the vaccine which causes the body to attack any future occurrence. That makes perfect sense. What I don't get is the 'safe to humans at risk' bit? That sounds like a live virus to me my friend. 

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nice one James. That reads like a dilute version of the CV19 is part of the vaccine which causes the body to attack any future occurrence. That makes perfect sense. What I don't get is the 'safe to humans at risk' bit? That sounds like a live virus to me my friend. 

There is not Sars-Cov-2 in the vaccine, I think. It merely replicated the proteins the Sars-CoV-2 produces. The only actual virus is the chimpanzee adenovirus, which is completely safe to humans.

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

There is not Sars-Cov-2 in the vaccine, I think. It merely replicated the proteins the Sars-CoV-2 produces. The only actual virus is the chimpanzee adenovirus, which is completely safe to humans.

Ah, now I get it, a stimulus to the antibodies we, individually, need to fire at this virus.

James, you're a far more intelligent man than me and I appreciate your input. ?

Archived