IGNORED

Is a yellow card for diving enough?

Unan

If it would be a red for the other player, give the diver a red, if a yellow then the diver gets a yellow.

If it's in the box, the opposition is on a yellow or it's last man etc, you have to give the cheat a red card. If it's a nothing dive in a 'safe' area of the pitch then a yellow is understandable.

With that being said, every dive should be a minimum of a yellow, it's cheating, simple as.

For me instances where its 100% clear should be a ban whether sent off or retrospective (even if on field ref gave a yellow) on pitch if a ref believes a player has dived but can't be 100% then I understand a yellow being given. Its the fact players can't be retrospectively punished if a ref says they've seen it on the pitch even if from another angle it shows clear evidence.

Games need proper retrospective scrutiny and obvious dives like the above need to be punished with a yellow.  A dive in the penalty area or one that gets an opponent sent off are an automatic red.

There's enough money sloshing around football, that this could be done post-match by a panel of experts. 

You could maybe start with the dive-fest that is the Premier League for a season with the implicit threat that it'll be rolled out down the professional football pyramid unless the simulation problem improves. 

On the other hand, I get totally fed up with people assuming it’s either a foul or a dive. In the old days we knew that people just fall over sometimes.

Grealish gets fouled a lot though and would be more convincing without the swan dives.

I've have long held the view, and said so in the past, that deliberate diving should result in a two phase punishment, a ban for the player and a fine for the club. The punishments should be exponential. Clubs will soon tire of a player deliberately cheating who is not available while they pay out fines. The problem is, that while this is good for the Premier league and European football where there are dozens of cameras with the chance of slow motion replays, it doesn't translate lower down the pyramid where you only have the matchday officials. While it may not be such a bad thing to punish the elite (perhaps teaching kids it's not alright to dive) they might claim victimisation 

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

If it would be a red for the other player, give the diver a red, if a yellow then the diver gets a yellow.

If it's in the box, the opposition is on a yellow or it's last man etc, you have to give the cheat a red card. If it's a nothing dive in a 'safe' area of the pitch then a yellow is understandable.

With that being said, every dive should be a minimum of a yellow, it's cheating, simple as.

5 game ban IMO

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

On the other hand, I get totally fed up with people assuming it’s either a foul or a dive. In the old days we knew that people just fall over sometimes.

Grealish gets fouled a lot though and would be more convincing without the swan dives.

Agree.  Can be contact and not a foul, can be no contact but a foul.  Refs need to learn the game (as well as the rules) and players (and managers) need to stop trying to con the refs.

Dean Smith bleats about the Leeds goal last season, even though Bielsa let them score, but isn’t happy to accept his keeper took the ball over the line v Sheffield Utd.  Why couldn’t he have come out second half and let Utd score.  As a minimum he should at least, when interviewed, say they got away with it.

It pisses me off his hypocritical they are.

Yes.

It's very difficult to ascertain intent.  The slightest contact on a player running at speed I to the box can cause him to go down, but may not appear like much contact when reviewed in countless slo mo replays.  Referees can often get it wrong 

The temptation is to always think about the scenario when you are being sinned against, but what if it's one of our players who appears to dive.

If the decision is wrong, a sending off is too harsh a sanction to recover from.   

Is it another situation where an orange card for a 10 minute sin bin would be useful. This would allow a referee to penalise the team that he sees as committing an offence, but in doing so he does not wreck the entire game. A middle ground between the "stern ticking off" of a Yellow card and the "drastically altering the match" of a Red card.

I'd then suggest the following:

2 Yellows = Orange

2 Orange = Red

1 Orange, plus 1 Yellow (issued in either order), could  be a Red if, in the referee's opinion, it is warranted.

Then straight Yellow, Orange and Red cards.

3 Cumulative Oranges across matches = 1 match ban, amnesty at Christmas as with Yellows.

It’s Grealish, commentators favourite line “the most fouled player” it’s shite sky seem to love Villa and Grealish - truth is he is a filthy cheat and it’s about time the authorities grew some balls and punished him, his theatrical penalty attempt should have go him a red!

same commentators constantly sprouting “he’s entitled to go down - there was  contact!” Is total crap and it’s high time the authorities stopped it! Liverpool are top of the tree - how many fouls do you see them give away?

cheats are ruining football

In the top league VAR annoys me the way it is used here. If you have to stop the game to look at a penalty, whatever, follow it through. A very obvious yellow for Grealish here, but VAR is used to overturn the penalty, but not the other half of it. He gets away with it.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Red Card and Sine Die with name and club printed in the Evening Post....................anyone remember that?

To much family embarrassment, an uncle of mine was banned 'sine die' back in the 1970s.

Most of the family didn't even know he played football (Downs Laegue), but he was the main talking point for months once his name appeared in the Evening Post ?.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Can be contact and not a foul, can be no contact but a foul.  Refs need to learn the game (as well as the rules) and players (and managers) need to stop trying to con the refs.

Dean Smith bleats about the Leeds goal last season, even though Bielsa let them score, but isn’t happy to accept his keeper took the ball over the line v Sheffield Utd.  Why couldn’t he have come out second half and let Utd score.  As a minimum he should at least, when interviewed, say they got away with it.

It pisses me off his hypocritical they are.

The experts eg on MOTD are just as bad though, even when neutral. The same applies to handball. As far as I’m aware, it still has to be judged as deliberate; even if someone’s arm is in an “unnatural position” I don’t see that as relevant if the player didn’t even see it coming.

Diving imo should always be dealt with in the harshest sense possible.  Not only are you a dang cheat, but also just disrespecting the beautiful game.  Also, anything that negatively effects Grealish can't help but snicker.

14 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Yes.

It's very difficult to ascertain intent.  The slightest contact on a player running at speed I to the box can cause him to go down, but may not appear like much contact when reviewed in countless slo mo replays.  Referees can often get it wrong 

The temptation is to always think about the scenario when you are being sinned against, but what if it's one of our players who appears to dive.

If the decision is wrong, a sending off is too harsh a sanction to recover from.   

I would go for Yellow in the game, reviewed after by the match officials, If it’s a dive, yellow turns to red and a 3 match ban with a hefty fine. As you say the margin for error by refs is larger than any other decision they have to make. 

It will soon stop! Especially players diving and feigning injury, conveniently in stoppage time when their a goal to the good

Archived