IGNORED

Michael Appleton

Rocky

Would be a bizarre appointment, bottom half L1 manager who’s had relatively poor season. Can’t seriously believe he’s in the running for one minute 

Maybe he’s on the list of applicants as a favour by MA - nothing like a bit manager shortlist PR to boost your appeal in the manager merry-go round 

2 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

That will be it for me! Awful choice of the club go down that road. No ambition at all 

It could be it for me, if they make a huge fuss about hiring the right type of candidate then go for MA’s mate - I might have to find a new weekend activity. 

I don't think we should get ourselves too worked up about this possibility, it would go totally against SL's recent statement about getting us to the promised land ie pretty much acknowledging that it was a lack of experience in the head coach department that saw us fall short (assuming we do of course!) Appleton ain't even close.

My concern is this : From Alan Dicks through to Lee Johnson . In the past 45 years we have NEVER appointed a  single Manager with experience of managing at a higher level than the league in which we’re in at the time . That may go some way to explaining why we’ve been out of the top flight for 40 years. As a club we have nurtured a culture of mediocrity and we mustn’t repeat the same mistake again . 

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

My concern is this : From Alan Dicks through to Lee Johnson . In the past 45 years we have NEVER appointed a  single Manager with experience of managing at a higher level than the league in which we’re in at the time . That may go some way to explaining why we’ve been out of the top flight for 40 years. As a club we have nurtured a culture of mediocrity and we mustn’t repeat the same mistake again . 

Cotts?

8 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Don't just make up rubbish.

The manager we appointed directly after Dicks, Bob Houghton had recently taken a club to a European cup final. Undoubtedly a higher level than we were at. Roy Hodgson had won top flight titles, one quite remarkable one, before his time here.

Denis Smith had first Division management experience and two promotions with Sunderland before being appointed here.

Steve Coppell had an abundance of experience at a higher level.

Then finally as Davefevs already pointed out, Cotts.

But yes other than that, and the others I probably missed, we have 'NEVER' done it.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though.

36 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Copout, Danny wilson

5 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Go back to the end of the Second World War and the same since then. Bob Hewison a left over from pre war. Pat Beasley, ex First Division player as Player Manager, Peter Doherty, former Irish international who previously managed Doncaster. Fred Ford, coach and number two at The Gas.

Players who had top tier and international experience but none with serious higher level management.

6 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Why are you lying?

6 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Don't just make up rubbish.

The manager we appointed directly after Dicks, Bob Houghton had recently taken a club to a European cup final. Undoubtedly a higher level than we were at. Roy Hodgson had won top flight titles, one quite remarkable one, before his time here.

Denis Smith had first Division management experience and two promotions with Sunderland before being appointed here.

Steve Coppell had an abundance of experience at a higher level.

Then finally as Davefevs already pointed out, Cotts.

But yes other than that, and the others I probably missed, we have 'NEVER' done it.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though.

So apart from Wilson, Cotts, Coppell, Smith, Houghton, what have this Board ever done for us?

This is textbook Mark Ashton at work...........put in a couple of names that would have supporters literally ripping up their season tickets as "being in the frame" and then the actual appointment, whoever it is and particularly if we are struggling to get the first choice fans candidate, will seem that much better.

This is how Bristol Sport (Football Division) is run these days. Non Story!!

31 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is textbook Mark Ashton at work...........put in a couple of names that would have supporters literally ripping up their season tickets as "being in the frame" and then the actual appointment, whoever it is and particularly if we are struggling to get the first choice fans candidate, will seem that much better.

This is how Bristol Sport (Football Division) is run these days. Non Story!!

Funny you should say that.....................this is being released at 10.00 am today

image.png.b73b40ca21e2e6d76bc4dd25b68bf08e.png

Mark Ashton announced new Head Coach

I am delighted to announce to our supporters, sponsors, and stakeholders that I have today appointed Michael Appleton as Head Coach of Bristol City. Please join me on welcoming Michael to the Bristol City family.

Michael is a very bright, intelligent experienced man who is highly motivated and very detailed in his approach. He's well-known to me, most notably when he guided Oxford Utd, to promotion

Let me be very clear Michael has a very strong ambition and desire to get back into the Premier League where he had a successful playing career and would not have joined this football club had he not truly believed that our ambitions matched his own and that we have the infrastructure and resources to deliver that ambition.

"He is one of the up and coming coaches in the country and having interviewed him, I had no hesitation in recommending to the Board that Michael is the right fit for this football club.

Michael also has the advantage of knowing me very well and will be able to fit seamlessly into the systems at Ashton Gate and resume our former successful partnership.

"There are substantial synergies in the way that we think and the way that we believe football departments should be operated. Michael was delighted to be given the opportunity to work with me again and I know I can help and guide him to deliver the success we are working so hard to achieve.

I have managed successfully at the top level of the football industry for over 30 years and I genuinely have never been so excited to work with someone with Michael’s knowledge, experience and track record.  With my support, my recruitment skill set and my extensive proven systems backing him I feel that Michael’s success is assured

Michael will have the benefit of the world class data analysis and scouting system that I introduced to this football club. That successful system has delivered many exciting talents to Ashton Gate and we believe in Michael we will at last have a Head Coach who can get the best from these players and build a successful team to match the off field progress that I have delivered.

We'll work together to build this football club for sustainable success.

image.png

18 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Funny you should say that.....................this is being released at 10.00 am today

I am delighted to announce to our supporters, sponsors, and stakeholders that I have today appointed Michael Appleton as Head Coach of Bristol City. Please join me on welcoming Michael to the Bristol City family.

Michael is a very bright, intelligent experienced man who is highly motivated and very detailed in his approach. He's well-known to me, most notably when he guided Oxford Utd, to promotion

Let me be very clear Michael has a very strong ambition and desire to get back into the Premier League where he had a successful playing career and would not have joined this football club had he not truly believed that our ambitions matched his own and that we have the infrastructure and resources to deliver that ambition.

"He is one of the up and coming coaches in the country and having interviewed him, I had no hesitation in recommending to the Board that Michael is the right fit for this football club.

Michael also has the advantage of knowing me very well and will be able to fit seamlessly into the systems at Ashton Gate and resume our former successful partnership.

"There are substantial synergies in the way that we think and the way that we believe football departments should be operated. Michael was delighted to be given the opportunity to work with me again and I know I can help and guide him to deliver the success we are working so hard to achieve.

I have managed successfully at the top level of the football industry for over 30 years and I genuinely have never been so excited to work with someone with Michael’s knowledge, experience and track record.  With my support, my recruitment skill set and my extensive proven systems backing him I feel that Michael’s success is assured

Michael will have the benefit of the world class data analysis and scouting system that I introduced to this football club. That successful system has delivered many exciting talents to Ashton Gate and we believe in Michael we will at last have a Head Coach who can get the best from these players and build a successful team to match the off field progress that I have delivered.

image.png

What have you started?!!!

9 hours ago, Baldyman said:

How can two people have liked this post when it is patently untrue?!  Or dies the truth no longer matter?!

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

image.png

Terrifying!!

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

image.png

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

Archived