IGNORED

East End

Yank

Recently read this on Kindle and would love to hear some more firsthand accounts from those who experienced it.  As a newer supporter, am very much enthused and excited to learn more and more about the club. Cheers all.

51g1sloMFTL.jpg.1ff54f7bb1b229f348facb436e2d3283.jpg

6 minutes ago, Yank said:

Recently read this on Kindle and would love to hear some more firsthand accounts from those who experienced it.  As a newer supporter, am very much enthused and excited to learn more and more about the club. Cheers all.

Hi, I’m guessing you’re from The States? How did you manage to pick Bristol City? Well done anyway!!!

There’s a Kindle book Bristol City The Modern on Amazon. Might be worth a look. 

We’re a funny club in many ways where not a lot seems to happen but 1976-86 was a rollercoaster decade of promotion, 4 years in the top division, a record number of relegations, near extinction... survival culminating in our first trip to Wembley Stadium. Personally, I’d focus on that era to learn a bit about the spirit of the club and it’s (older!!) supporters. 

5 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Hi, I’m guessing you’re from The States? How did you manage to pick Bristol City? Well done anyway!!!

There’s a Kindle book Bristol City The Modern on Amazon. Might be worth a look. 

We’re a funny club in many ways where not a lot seems to happen but 1976-86 was a rollercoaster decade of promotion, 4 years in the top division, a record number of relegations, near extinction... survival culminating in our first trip to Wembley Stadium. Personally, I’d focus on that era to learn a bit about the spirit of the club and it’s (older!!) supporters. 

Yes sir a true American here?I have always wanted to have an English team to follow.Of course where I live and really from what I have seen,people in the States are very much glory hunters and fans of Man U,Man City,Chelsea,etc.I didn't want to go that route so tbh just researched as it were for a long time and the deeper I got into Bristol City the more enthused I got.Love what I read about the fans and watched lots of things via youtube and eventually got Robins TV and haven't looked back since.Proud to be a new member of the family if you will?

Read little about those years but deffo sounds like I need to look into them more! Cheers. Will check that other book as well.

Think we have a bright future.Plan on having some good beer and wings and watch us hopefully get all 3 points against Stoke.

32 minutes ago, Yank said:

Yes sir a true American here?I have always wanted to have an English team to follow.Of course where I live and really from what I have seen,people in the States are very much glory hunters and fans of Man U,Man City,Chelsea,etc.I didn't want to go that route so tbh just researched as it were for a long time and the deeper I got into Bristol City the more enthused I got.Love what I read about the fans and watched lots of things via youtube and eventually got Robins TV and haven't looked back since.Proud to be a new member of the family if you will?

Read little about those years but deffo sounds like I need to look into them more! Cheers. Will check that other book as well.

Think we have a bright future.Plan on having some good beer and wings and watch us hopefully get all 3 points against Stoke.

Commiserations mate. And welcome. You join us at arguably the most exciting point we’ve had in a number of years. 

Where in the states are you? Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios?

1 hour ago, Yank said:

Welcome aboard Sir. Where in the States do you live ?

The old East End was the place to be many years ago for the atmosphere, camaraderie and sense of belonging. The chants and songs were amazing and added tremendously to atmosphere of the stadium. I and many others of my generation spent years behind the goal on the terracing. 

Looking back I realise that it was a young mans game.....:facepalm: and as I aged the thrill and excitement began to lessen and I eventually started watching the game from the Dolman.

Now when I take a trip down nostalgia lane I remember it wasn’t quite as great as I thought at the time. The salient was fairly low which restricted the view. The toilets were disgusting with piss all over the floor but as a young guy I didn’t bother me.........:dunno: It would now tho!

1 hour ago, Yank said:

people in the States are very much glory hunters and fans of Man U,Man City,Chelsea,etc.I didn't want to go that route

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

You have my upmost respect. You will never be accused of being a "glory hunter" supporting us. 

Welcome aboard !!

I dunno, 4x JPT winners, don’t like to brag but that’s kind of a big deal!! Especially when the big boys Yank mentioned haven’t won it once! 

1 hour ago, Yank said:

Ahhhhh buffalo wings!  I actually went to Buffalo and had buffalo wings in the place so say which invented them, immense!

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Commiserations mate. And welcome. You join us at arguably the most exciting point we’ve had in a number of years. 

Where in the states are you? Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios?

20 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Welcome aboard Sir. Where in the States do you live ?

Thanks for the welcome Gents.I live in North Carolina.Glad to be here?

Good to have you on board, @Yank. Welcome!

I spent the 1980s and 1990s in the East End - during games, not all week.

It was such a far cry from what the ground is today. Lots of singing from the whole end, whether we were winning or losing. Happy days.

8 hours ago, Yank said:

Welcome to the BCFC Family. My son in law comes from Dallas TX and when we first met, he told me he supported Man Ure, I soon changed that and he saw the light and is a City Supporter now. For myself, I started watching City at age 8 in 1958 and in my teen years was an Eastender. Local derbies were great as we were segregated in the East End and used to throw Loo Rolls at one another. Heady Days !!!

2 hours ago, Yank said:

You’ll wonder why you ever done it!

But seeing as you have, a few questions...

How long have City been your team for now?

Favourite players?

Views on Lee Johnson’s departure?

Your choice as his replacement?

Interested to know the views from a ‘newer’ supporter from further afield, thanks.

The East End was the heartbeat of the club . 
Hundreds of red scarfed kindred spirits high on adrenaline, cider and cigarettes all ready to drive  the team on and repel any invaders , of which there were many. 

The queue to get in , the click of the turnstile signifying the start of a new adventure. 

We were often tightly packed in , the Health and Safety bods would have nightmares, often at the end of the match as everyone left the ground you could be carried along without your feet ever touching the ground .

It was rough but strangely comforting, there was a certain sense of ‘ family ‘ . You mostly saw the same faces in the same spots. People looked out for one another . The young uns were handed down to the front , not the safest place to be when we scored and the whole East End surged towards the pitch . 

The noise was incredible, the low roof  ,   although it made  viewing the match a bit difficult from near the back, acted as an amplifier and everybody chanted as one ,the Bristolian accent was prominent. 

The smells were intense , alcohol breath, cigarettes and cigars , bovril , tea and the ‘ toilets ‘ which were just an open drain where you peed up against the wall. Add in the horse linament when the players appeared on the pitch and it completed the olfactive experience.

They were simpler times when the club belonged to us and you could be on the same train or bus as one of the players on your way to the ground. 

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Ahhhhh buffalo wings!  I actually went to Buffalo and had buffalo wings in the place so say which invented them, immense!

Can Buffalo's fly? I guess not if people go round chopping their wings off!

Anyway, welcome to the madhouse Yank.  (Is it really ok to call you that?)  

I used to stand in the East End, the best days were in the 70's when we were going for promotion to Div 1 and then made it up there for four seasons. Remember watching all the big teams Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal etc.. The view of the game wasn't that good (apart from the goal at that end) but the atmosphere was tremendous, for the big games the crowd was tightly packed and everyone tended to have their own 'spot' by a particular crash-barrier. The noisiest went directly behind the goal where it was the most crowded, then it got more spaced out the further you went towards the corner flag. Quite often there was banter with the 'away' goalkeeper at that end and I'm sure it was a distraction and resulted in a few extra goals for us. The only problem was getting to the toilets if you'd had a few beers before the game as they were right in the corner. The low roof helped generate noise levels it's impossible to get in modern all-seater grounds.

37 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

reading all these stories is quite emotional.

i truly believe ashton gate lost a big part of its soul when those demolition trucks moved in.

will the south stand ever have such an emotional attachment with so many people? i doubt it. just a big, lifeless, concrete stand like all the rest of them, with corporate lounges and big screens.

needed to be redeveloped, thats obvious. but the potential was there for something far, far greater...

The only good thing is that the Atyeo hasn’t been redeveloped.... maybe that could one day become a proper standalone “end” for home fans, nice and steep with a low roof to keep the sound in..... probably not though! 

5 hours ago, Yank said:

Thanks for the welcome Gents.I live in North Carolina.Glad to be here?

Never been there although have travelled a lot throughout the States with work etc. For my sins I am a Bengals fan after witnessing a great win over the Steelers some years back. Have a lot of friends in Indiana.

Ah... The East End. 

I was privileged to be sat/stood/sat in the old lady in its prime - late 60’s, through the 70’s peak and on to 00’s - with major and often prolonged excursions to the Park End (even better), Grandstand and Dolman. 

A true ‘end’ that was as atmospheric as any in the football league. It would be defended against all-comers, could be joyous or moody, bright or dark.....just an amazing place that we called ‘home’.

The design with a low slung, metal framed roof made it feel intimate but it was quite spacious with lots of nooks and crannies where ‘old faces’ would gather in little groups. Cigarette smoke would linger in the rafters, songs echo around the tin roof, a myriad of flags hung at the back. It was personal and ‘ours’.  

Spruced up with red paint on several occasions, it always retained its true ‘hard edged’ character. 

An absolute belter of an ‘end’, can think of few better. 

8 hours ago, Yank said:

Plan on having some good beer and wings and watch us hopefully get all 3 points against Stoke.

This must be the most American sentence ever written on this forum!  We must start getting some Brizzle into your dialogue.  When you next take a cab, you need to say "Cheers drive" as you exit the vee hickle!

Welcome to the family....you made the right choice sir!!

Archived