IGNORED

Clive Tyldesley

Super

Commentators are a particular bug bear of mine. The way they talk is so bloody annoying!

The worst is Peter Drury!

Here are a couple of bizarre sentences that lodged in my mind a few weeks ago:

"Those kind of shots always come with a high difficulty tarriff"

Huh? What?! There's a tariff? Just tell us it's difficult.

"[That shot] was pitching at the point of maximum inconvenience..."

Just say it bounces just in front of the keeper and don't riddle me this, riddle me that, you oddball!

Football is the game of the people, and I hate it when we're spoken at by posh 1950s BBC style commentators or weird Dickensian wordsmiths. 

Not a big fan of Matrerface, but I cannot stand Tyldesley and his incessant need to witter about anything other than what is going on in front of him. 

Never been more inclined to watch football in silence than when that person I disagree with and Townsend were on commentary. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Johnsonisms.

Can't stand his commentary, so not at all disappointed. Never watch ITV given a chance.

He's done the job since 1998....22 years...decent innings I'd have thought. Wouldn't have thought you'd have much to complain about when someone comes and tells you your time is up.

Never been a fan of Tyldesley, although I warmed to him when he commentated on his wife making a spaghetti bolognese during lockdown.

It does like he has been a bit shabbily treated though - not so much in the decision itself but in the sense that he seems to be applying he's not been given a clear explanation. 

His video statement is really odd as well, basically slagging off ITV for their decision and then saying he’ll stay on as the number two....maybe he won’t when they see his video!

Feel for him some what but in that sort of industry it’s pretty common to change things like that up....

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Never been a fan of Tyldesley, although I warmed to him when he commentated on his wife making a spaghetti bolognese during lockdown.

It does like he has been a bit shabbily treated though - not so much in the decision itself but in the sense that he seems to be applying he's not been given a clear explanation. 

Having heard first-hand plenty of on-air media folk complaining about contracts ending, and having see the piece he's recorded, I'd conclude that it's the decision he doesn't like - not the way it was delivered. The way of getting some sympathy in such circumstances is to imply poor treatment. As he says himself in his piece on twitter, he's known for weeks. ITV will want a new commentator to come in and establish themselves ahead of the next major tournament. Given that Tyldesley would presumably have been commentating on Euro 2020, and is now 65, I would imagine it had always been the plan to change the guard. It's not a job for life!

For me there isn't enough newer, younger commentators, pundits & presenters coming through, for so long it always seems to be the same voices & faces involved around sport. Its like they make into the inner circle then lock the door behind them.

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Johnsonisms.

21 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Can't stand his commentary, so not at all disappointed. Never watch ITV given a chance.

He's done the job since 1998....22 years...decent innings I'd have thought. Wouldn't have thought you'd have much to complain about when someone comes and tells you your time is up.

Me neither.

Used to play a game when watching a match at the Euros/World Cup to see how long it was before he mentioned someone on the pitch had been linked to Manchester United.

Invariably it was within the first 10 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Is it not possible to pass a law stipulating that only Jonathan Pearce is allowed to commentate on football matches?

I may be in the minority about him, but he irritates the life out of me.

I used to see him around Croydon quite often, he is not the Bristol City super fan many blindly think he is

Archived