IGNORED

Clive Tyldesley

Super

Commentary can make the whole experience so much better. 

Bill McLaren - god bless him

Murray walker - didn't realise he was still alive. Would love to have him come back and commentate for one more race if well enough. 

Favourite commentator is Andrew Cotter. Whenever the rugby autumn Internationals are on and you hear his voice, you know Christmas is coming and you're in store for watching some great sport over the next few weeks. 

Re football commentary, hit and miss really. Nobody really stands out nor do I dislike anyone that leaps to mind straight away.

Regarding this, granted no job is set for life, but if he was told 6 months ago that he'd be doing this role for another 5 years (for example) then he'd probably have set finances / plans etc accordingly. Whether he's been financially compensated for this I don't know.

More will come out over time. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Your post hit me at the point of maximum inconvenience...

I would suggest listening to his commentary when Roma scored the winner vs Barcelona in 2018. Incredible piece of commentary.

BBC have the worst ones though, Tyldesley is just average

24 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I may be in the minority about him, but he irritates the life out of me.

I used to see him around Croydon quite often, he is not the Bristol City super fan many blindly think he is

Quite aside from the City connection, I think he's a good commentator. One of the few whose tone doesn't annoy the shiiite out of me. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Commentators are a particular bug bear of mine. The way they talk is so bloody annoying!

The worst is Peter Drury!

Here are a couple of bizarre sentences that lodged in my mind a few weeks ago:

"Those kind of shots always come with a high difficulty tarriff"

Huh? What?! There's a tariff? Just tell us it's difficult.

"[That shot] was pitching at the point of maximum inconvenience..."

Just say it bounces just in front of the keeper and don't riddle me this, riddle me that, you oddball!

Football is the game of the people, and I hate it when we're spoken at by posh 1950s BBC style commentators or weird Dickensian wordsmiths. 

Perhaps LJ could become a top commentator then ... he’s already got his book of baffling, nonsensical phraseology - I reckon he could pick the bones out of Burnley vs Watford in words of seven syllables or more

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Can't stand his commentary, so not at all disappointed. Never watch ITV given a chance.

He's done the job since 1998....22 years...decent innings I'd have thought. Wouldn't have thought you'd have much to complain about when someone comes and tells you your time is up

I think I have said this on here before, but I am constantly shouting at the tv “There’s a bloody game on in front of you”. The constant barrage of inane “facts” that have nothing to do with the actual game drives me up the wall.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I was always a fan of the old school types, Brian Moore, Motty, and those whose names I can't remember… like it's been said, the one's you don't notice.

Sorry he's lost his job but I wasn't a fan of his nonsense at all.

You didn’t notice Motson? Blimey, I couldn’t stand his endless stats and gormless schoolboy personality. Brian Moore was a world away and masterful.

Just now, Leveller said:

You didn’t notice Motson? Blimey, I couldn’t stand his endless stats and gormless schoolboy personality. Brian Moore was a world away and masterful.

No, I loved Motty. I was gutted when he retired from World Cups. I thought his stats were interesting.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Commentators are a particular bug bear of mine. The way they talk is so bloody annoying!

The worst is Peter Drury!

Here are a couple of bizarre sentences that lodged in my mind a few weeks ago:

"Those kind of shots always come with a high difficulty tarriff"

Huh? What?! There's a tariff? Just tell us it's difficult.

"[That shot] was pitching at the point of maximum inconvenience..."

Just say it bounces just in front of the keeper and don't riddle me this, riddle me that, you oddball!

Football is the game of the people, and I hate it when we're spoken at by posh 1950s BBC style commentators or weird Dickensian wordsmiths. 

A timely reminder of this gem from David Squires for anyone who hasn't seen it

Cannot stand commentators today, especially the Sky Sports one who constantly blusters several times in every single match: "we apologise if you were offended by any bad language there..." As if anyone is shouting at the TV, "Oh my God, he mouthed the 'F' word.."

Piss off. It's football. When an athlete's blood is up they're going to swear. It happens, we know. If I was offended by someone on the television uttering a swear word, it would only be a reflection of my own psychological insecurity. Enough with the pandering to the bloody safe-space, everything-is-offensive and so everything-should-be-cancelled PC culture crap. I ****in hate it.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bring back Elton Welsby!

And, because 'any excuse to post a HMHB' link....

Anyone else used to buy the '90 Minutes' football magazine back in the early 90s?  They used to host a 'Spot The Welsby' (aka 'Spot The Welsboid') competition each week, they would hide his face amongst the pages somewhere (random recollection I've just had!)

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red Alert said:

For me there isn't enough newer, younger commentators, pundits & presenters coming through, for so long it always seems to be the same voices & faces involved around sport. Its like they make into the inner circle then lock the door behind them.

Change is not always better, for me the absolute worst commentator is Vicki Sparks on R5L, absolutely horrible listening to her commentating, she is trying far too hard to convey excitement and she puts too much inflection in, dreadful stuff.  Yet hear her talking in an interview or not commentating and she sounds OK.  No idea why she does it, but it’s painful to listen to.

8 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Cannot stand commentators today, especially the Sky Sports one who constantly blusters several times in every single match: "we apologise if you were offended by any bad language there..." As if anyone is shouting at the TV, "Oh my God, he mouthed the 'F' word.."

Piss off. It's football. When an athlete's blood is up they're going to swear. It happens, we know. If I was offended by someone on the television uttering a swear word, it would only be a reflection of my own psychological insecurity. Enough with the pandering to the bloody safe-space, everything-is-offensive and so everything-should-be-cancelled PC culture crap. I ****in hate it.

Sky sports is the worst right now for the whole PC culture. I won't even go into my reasons why on here, but it literally is the worst broadcaster right now for PC wokeness

Thought he is/was ok’ish.

On the women, generally agree they sound like shrieking banshees on commentary.... there is one of Test Match Special who seems quite good, very public school and, as an added bonus, sounds a bit sexy too. Can’t find her photograph though... so that sexiness may be misplaced.

Clearly though her looks wouldn’t influence in anyway her competence as a commentator. No,.not at all. Honest. 

?

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Sky sports is the worst right now for the whole PC culture. I won't even go into my reasons why on here, but it literally is the worst broadcaster right now for PC wokeness

I wonder if their stance is losing custom or reducing the numbers leaving them in droves ?

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I wonder if their stance is losing custom or reducing the numbers leaving them in droves ?

It does seem that every programme now on SS has to have a woman on the panel.

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Thought he is/was ok’ish.

On the women, generally agree they sound like shrieking banshees on commentary.... there is one of Test Match Special who seems quite good, very public school and, as an added bonus, sounds a bit sexy too. Can’t find her photograph though... so that sexiness be misplaced. Clearly though her looks wouldn’t influence in anyway her competence as a commentator...not at all. Honest. 

?

Absolutely no reason why a woman shouldn't commentate on a football match, but the sense that they must raise the pitch of a voice already higher than the viewers are used to, is likely to grate with many and undermine their match reading and research. I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who don't sound like Minnie Mouse on helium when seeking to generate excitement.

Archived