IGNORED

Clive Tyldesley

Super

8 hours ago, Super said:

It does seem that every programme now on SS has to have a woman on the panel.

That seems to be true of all the channels, the news programmes are the same almost every time they go over to a reporter on anything from politics to sport to a natural disaster it's almost always a woman, years ago women did nothing but complain about male domination of tv funny now it's gone completely the other way you don't hear a peep from them. I must say being a man these days seems to be a disadvantage glad I'm not looking for work anymore too much box ticking going on, it's no longer the best person for the job and more making sure a certain quota of people are represented. 

8 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Absolutely no reason why a woman shouldn't commentate on a football match, but the sense that they must raise the pitch of a voice already higher than the viewers are used to, is likely to grate with many and undermine their match reading and research. I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who don't sound like Minnie Mouse on helium when seeking to generate excitement.

Vicky Sparks?

41 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Some quality old-fashioned sexism on this thread. 

The sort who thought Alf Garnett talked a lot of sense...

Give us your opinion on positive discrimination do you agree with it? because it's now rife in the entertainment industry, you can't tell me all those pretty girls on sky sports were the best person for the job, most are not bad at their job but were picked as much for how they looked as anything else and Alf Garnet  character was deliberately scripted to make him sound ridiculous. anyone with half a brain knows that.   

This guy moaning that he's been demoted from big ticket england games. Sorry mate, shit happens and itv have finally come to their senses that he is a very poor commentator who the majority of viewers cannot stand and has been getting away with an easy ride for years.

His whole twitter post smacks of privilege and a 'jobs for the boys' attitude, like the deadwood you see coasting in a company for a pay cheque, and when they are questioned about their cushy attitude, throw their toys out the pram because they aren't used to being challenged!

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Was Gerald Sinstadt not involved in a sex scandal?

Sorry being lazy, just looked it up, yes he was. Sex act in a cinema, 26 years ago when he was 64. Still involved in Stoke on Trent local football at 90!!!!

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Was Gerald Sinstadt not involved in a sex scandal?

Sorry being lazy, just looked it up, yes he was. Sex act in a cinema, 26 years ago when he was 64. Still involved in Stoke on Trent local football at 90!!!!

I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't mentioned I always remembered him commentating on the Northern games. Hugh Johns was another name from the same era who seemed to follow the midlands teams 

6 hours ago, pillred said:

That seems to be true of all the channels, the news programmes are the same almost every time they go over to a reporter on anything from politics to sport to a natural disaster it's almost always a woman, years ago women did nothing but complain about male domination of tv funny now it's gone completely the other way you don't hear a peep from them. I must say being a man these days seems to be a disadvantage glad I'm not looking for work anymore too much box ticking going on, it's no longer the best person for the job and more making sure a certain quota of people are represented. 

Recently I commented on a post about how I'm not a fan of using the negative emojis to respond to posts, and how discourse should be encouraged instead. But honestly, this complete and utter car crash of a post had me close to the aubergine. Try and do better you utter dinosaur.

23 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Recently I commented on a post about how I'm not a fan of using the negative emojis to respond to posts, and how discourse should be encouraged instead. But honestly, this complete and utter car crash of a post had me close to the aubergine. Try and do better you utter dinosaur.

It’s a common thread on here when anything vaguely equality related is ‘discussed’. I don’t even bother opening threads titled ‘Sol Campbell’ or ‘Raheem Sterling’ etc - real cringeworthy stuff, in the main. I’m sure many posters are being deliberately inflammatory, as is their want; I just console myself with the fact that younger generations seem to be increasingly tolerant and educated about diversity and can put themselves in the shoes of a minority, in a slightly more enlightened manner than some of our esteemed members here. Que sera sera. Evolution has a habit of catching up with dinosaurs, remember! 

17 hours ago, OneCity said:

Cannot stand commentators today, especially the Sky Sports one who constantly blusters several times in every single match: "we apologise if you were offended by any bad language there..." As if anyone is shouting at the TV, "Oh my God, he mouthed the 'F' word.."

Piss off. It's football. When an athlete's blood is up they're going to swear. It happens, we know. If I was offended by someone on the television uttering a swear word, it would only be a reflection of my own psychological insecurity. Enough with the pandering to the bloody safe-space, everything-is-offensive and so everything-should-be-cancelled PC culture crap. I ****in hate it.

I agree particularly as that I have noticed on my trips back to Old Blighty that the use of the ‘ F ‘ word is common currency on television and even the ‘ C’ word can be heard most days . 

It is stupid to highlight the bad language in any case. 

I remember Alan Dicks writing in the match day programme that to encourage families to the Gate we should tone down the language which prompted the classic East End chant

» He’s here , he’s there, 

we’re not allowed to swear

Gerry Gow , Gerry Gow « 

20 hours ago, mozo said:

Commentators are a particular bug bear of mine. The way they talk is so bloody annoying!

The worst is Peter Drury!

Here are a couple of bizarre sentences that lodged in my mind a few weeks ago:

"Those kind of shots always come with a high difficulty tarriff"

Huh? What?! There's a tariff? Just tell us it's difficult.

"[That shot] was pitching at the point of maximum inconvenience..."

Just say it bounces just in front of the keeper and don't riddle me this, riddle me that, you oddball!

Football is the game of the people, and I hate it when we're spoken at by posh 1950s BBC style commentators or weird Dickensian wordsmiths. 

Love him as a commentator.
one of my favourites was early 2000s champions league semi, Maldini ran half the length of the pitch, had acres of in front of him.
Seedorf played the ball straight out of play, a very poor pass.
Drury was furious, called Seedorf disrespectful. was genuinely angry.
do not hear commentators like that very often.

and who can forget this icon moment.

19 hours ago, OneCity said:

Cannot stand commentators today, especially the Sky Sports one who constantly blusters several times in every single match: "we apologise if you were offended by any bad language there..." As if anyone is shouting at the TV, "Oh my God, he mouthed the 'F' word.."

Piss off. It's football. When an athlete's blood is up they're going to swear. It happens, we know. If I was offended by someone on the television uttering a swear word, it would only be a reflection of my own psychological insecurity. Enough with the pandering to the bloody safe-space, everything-is-offensive and so everything-should-be-cancelled PC culture crap. I ****in hate it.

This grinds my gears too. If they’re duty bound to say something then just have a warning before the match that you may hear offensive language but so unnecessary to harp on about it over and over. Also that guy saying “AND IT’S LIVE!” does my head right in. 
I like Jonathan Pierce but knowing he’s a City fan probably helps. 

Personally I can do without any commentary whatsoever, I don’t need someone telling me what I can see with my own eyes.

People get too hung up about what someone else is telling them.

The majority of today’s commentators are to opinionated nowadays anyway, get rid of all of them I say.

4 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Well if you honestly believe the best person is picked for a job these days based solely on their ability then you are either very naïve or young or both. I have lived through both times when women and ethnic minorities were not given a fair chance and am currently living through a period where to me it seems the opposite is happening, neither are correct if you read my post properly you would see that I'm not a fan of positive discrimination and believe somebody should get work based on their ability and not because they are under represented in said workplace what may I ask makes that the posting of a dinosaur?

4 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Interesting that a white male being replaced with another white male who is clearly qualified for the job should cause such outrage and bile against women and black commentators/ pundits.

I have read nearly all these posts and don't recall any bile against either Women or Black pundits, I think your reading what you want to, my post merely stated that women today on tv seem to be over represented in the main how is that bile? Also the post was in the main about age discrimination as he was being replaced by somebody younger. 

Tyldesley + Hoddle’s negative droning ruined England matches for me.

Having to watch England pre-Southgate was punishment enough, but it was torture to listen to their waffle when watching in the pub with no access to the mute button.

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well if you honestly believe the best person is picked for a job these days based solely on their ability then you are very either very naïve or young or both. I have lived through both times when women and ethnic minorities were not given a fair chance and am currently living through a period where to me it seems the opposite is happening, neither are correct if you read my post properly you would see that I'm not a fan of positive discrimination and believe somebody should get work based on their ability and not because they are under represented in said workplace what may I ask makes that the posting of a dinosaur?

This post makes me want to cry. Or cry out or just do something. But I can also see it is a mind that cannot be changed.

No, actually I will try. What the actual **** are you talking about???? The opposite is happening? Is it really?? I’d love to know examples where you have seen a woman or ‘ethnic minority’ get a job or what have you over someone more deserving, I really would. I am sure you have lines and lines of statistics to back up this point. And do you know what, no I don’t have any statistics to back up the fact what you are saying IS NOT happening, but I tell you what I do ******* know, non white people and woman have been subjugated by society for so ******* long I don’t have a problem if the queue is skipped a few times to maybe see a more equal society in the future, for maybe me and hopefully definitely for my children.

why are these people unrepresentative in work places? Because they haven’t been given a chance Throughout history to establish themselves in the same way a ******* white male has, you are confusing the enforced order of things with actually how things should be.

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

This post makes me want to cry. Or cry out or just do something. But I can also see it is a mind that cannot be changed.

No, actually I will try. What the actual **** are you talking about???? The opposite is happening? Is it really?? I’d love to know examples where you have seen a woman or ‘ethnic minority’ get a job or what have you over someone more deserving, I really would. I am sure you have lines and lines of statistics to back up this point. And do you know what, no I don’t have any statistics to back up the fact what you are saying IS NOT happening, but I tell you what I do ******* know, non white people and woman have been subjugated by society for so ******* long I don’t have a problem if the queue is skipped a few times to maybe see a more equal society in the future, for maybe me and hopefully definitely for my children.

why are these people unrepresentative in worked places? Because they haven’t been given a chance Throughout history to establish themselves in the same way a ******* white male has, you are confusing the enforced order of things with actually how things should be.

A mind that cannot be changed oh the irony. two wrongs have never made a right but you just don't get it pointless me trying to change your mindset either so we will just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid 

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

A mind that cannot be changed oh the irony. two wrongs have never made a right but you just don't get it pointless me trying to change your mindset either so we will just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid 

I think that all people should be treated fairly. ALL PEOPLE. And if we have to make specific changes to our society and the way we give opportunities to make this happen then I have no problem.

I honestly think when what my view point is a desire for equality for all, Then I am pretty comfortable that I don’t have to consider changing my mind

if you think that scary or too hard then yes, you are welcome to your view point

• Admin
22 hours ago, Super said:

Bombed out by ITV. Seems to be a thing at the moment to get rid of the old boys and bring in younger people. Not a fan of Matterface tbh.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/clive-tyldesley-itv-commentary-twitter-response-sam-matterface-a9617711.html

I'm I correct in saying that he has not been fired he has just been made the number two in the reporting rather than the main reporter?

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm I correct in saying that he has not been fired he has just been made the number two in the reporting rather than the main reporter?

You are correct. 

No idea why though. As you're just a disembodied voice not a face, age doesn't really matter and experience is important. I always thought Tyldesley was one of the better TV commentators.

It is a really tough art to master incidentally. It's not like just describing a match on the phone to your mate. I tried it once and was utter garbage, so full respect to those who make it sound simple.

BTW what sort of a surname is "Matterface"???

41 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I think that all people should be treated fairly. ALL PEOPLE. And if we have to make specific changes to our society and the way we give opportunities to make this happen then I have no problem.

I honestly think when what my view point is a desire for equality for all, Then I am pretty comfortable that I don’t have to consider changing my mind

if you think that scary or too hard then yes, you are welcome to your view point

If you read my post properly you would have seen I agree with you the word here is fairly, again without labouring the point the best person for the job should get the job that is all I'm saying. As a matter of interest what changes would you advocate to make things fairer?

• Admin
13 hours ago, pillred said:

Vicky Sparks?

As I put in the thread earlier on, dreadful commentator and I have yet to see anyone come to her defence.  She could learn a lesson or two from Ellie Oldroyd, she manages to commentate and discuss cricket without the ridiculous inflections and faux excitement of Vicki Sparks.

17 hours ago, pillred said:

Give us your opinion on positive discrimination do you agree with it? because it's now rife in the entertainment industry, you can't tell me all those pretty girls on sky sports were the best person for the job, most are not bad at their job but were picked as much for how they looked as anything else and Alf Garnet  character was deliberately scripted to make him sound ridiculous. anyone with half a brain knows that.   

The same as the birds working the perfume/make up section in Boots & Debenhams!

Archived