IGNORED

Semenyo progress

Lez

Go back a year and Semenyo is being linked with a big money move to Chelsea after a very successful loan move to Newport.

Fast forward to the end of this season and it is fair to say his progress has stalled. In my opinion he looked completely out of his depth when playing for us earlier in the season.....looked lost. Granted he was only getting limited game time.....went on loan to Sunderland and had a limited impact with 0 goals in 8 games.

Still young at 20 but perhaps not the wonderkid we were hoping for....we are pushing for the prem so surely he womt get much of a look in next season.

What are peoples thoughts? Is he another brownhill destined for the prem or a wes burns who isnt getting regular football in league 1.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Go back a year and Semenyo is being linked with a big money move to Chelsea after a very successful loan move to Newport.

Fast forward to the end of this season and it is fair to say his progress has stalled. In my opinion he looked completely out of his depth when playing for us earlier in the season.....looked lost. Granted he was only getting limited game time.....went on loan to Sunderland and had a limited impact with 0 goals in 8 games.

Still young at 20 but perhaps not the wonderkid we were hoping for....we are pushing for the prem so surely he womt get much of a look in next season.

What are peoples thoughts? Is he another brownhill destined for the prem or a wes burns who isnt getting regular football in league 1.

And this is exactly why people shouldn't label young players as 'wonderkids', it puts unnecessary pressure on them. 

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

Will never make it at this level... woefully off the pace in all areas.

Could even waste away & disappear from Pro football imo..

4 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Will never make it at this level... woefully off the pace in all areas.

Could even waste away & disappear from Pro football imo..

Interesting do you think he was over rated at Newport?

10 minutes ago, Lez said:

Hindsight is wonderful but should have sold with a sell on if that was feasible. I thought so at the time as he didn't seem to be rated here by the ones who matter 

His game went down hill last season after his harsh sending off against Derby Tom Huddleston was late coming into the tackle. The lad was visibly crying ? as he left the field. Not sure there was any comfort offered to him by the management team as he passed. He was then shipped out on loan how is that supposed to give you confidence!!! Think back to some of our successes with young players Bobby Ried was on the release list then had a blinder of a season.  

I thought he played ok in two tough away games on the trot v PNE and Brentford, but that rabbit in headlights sub v Reading seemed to be the nail in the coffin for him.

A9C8E1AC-3592-4DA4-A614-9AEE2663C429.thumb.jpeg.1c7fa36c50d3dc26cea6355f1230a312.jpeg
He’s 20 years of age.  Played left forward in the main at Newport, we didn’t play him in that position.

Got a bit of work to do, but not one to right off yet.

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

On the basis that he wasn't sold he must have been rated by someone who mattered. 

Understood but the numbers bandied about if true makes whoever that person is look a bit daft as things stand. We may have been a bit greedy and thought Chelsea had money to burn. 

Did very well in league two at a very young age. Sunderland Manager was happy with him albeit did say he still has a lot to learn. Was happy with his application, willingness to learn and said he improved during his time there.

Anyone saying he will never make it at this level doesn’t really understand how much players improve when young.  This forum has written off many youngsters in the past that have gone  on to be good enough for this level.  

1 hour ago, Lez said:

Interesting do you think he was over rated at Newport?

3 goals in 21 games in league two isnt really anything special is it? 

Guys got about 5 league goals in 4 seasons of football playing on the wing and as a striker. 

Take out the chelsea transfer link and I dont know why anyone thinks he is any good. 

Isnt he similar age to tammy abraham? Hes couple years older than massengo 

Having seen him make several appearances for the club, albeit at a young age I'll write him off.

Feel free to reference me here in future but I will say he wont make it at bristol city. The few times he came on at city he seemed disinterested and I cant say I can even remember a time where I thought he may score in a game. Dont remember him having a shot from inside the box

6 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Having seen him make several appearances for the club, albeit at a young age I'll write him off.

Feel free to reference me here in future but I will say he wont make it at bristol city. The few times he came on at city he seemed disinterested and I cant say I can even remember a time where I thought he may score in a game. Dont remember him having a shot from inside the box

I think players improve at different rates when they are young. There’s enough positive things been said about Antoine to think he us something and it just needs to click. Desperately needs a run of games. 

Would be surprised if he doesn’t improve. Even players in there mid twenties, such as Diedhiou, improve.  Sure you would agree Diedhiou is a much better player that he was 18 months ago 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Harry Kane at I think about the same age as Semenyo could not get in the Leicester side in the championship.

Not saying Semenyo is as good as Kane was at the same age, but it shows how far players can go from 20 to mid to late 20s. 

Many similar examples to that. Robertson was an average left back at Dundee at same age. De Bryne couldn’t get in Genk team. Mahrez couldn’t get in Le Havre team. 

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Should have sold him when the hype was at its highest.

He's not a natural goalscorer. Not a no.10. Can play wide up front in a 4-3-3 but, these days, you need to weigh in with goals from there.

So I've no idea what he is. 

Under Johnson he might have been given years - like Reid and Bryan - to develop. Not so sure that will be the case going forward.

Don't think we ever played him in the right position, pretty sure he will end up as on ok winger at championship level, we should have really took the Chelsea money but I and a lot of people did think he was going to make it for us, at least he still has time on his side

• Admin
16 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Don't think we ever played him in the right position, pretty sure he will end up as on ok winger at championship level, we should have really took the Chelsea money but I and a lot of people did think he was going to make it for us, at least he still has time on his side

He's another of those players that flatters to decieve and seemingly just disappear out of the club over the years. 

I've honestly seen nothing in him consistently enough to say he'd make it at a high level. 

I'm only quoting your post as it's the most recent in a similar vein in people saying that we never played him in the right position. I honestly don't know how people can claim this he trains for hours and hours and people around the club would know his strengths. 

I honestly believe most of the hype around him comes from him playing and scoring for Newport in the televised FA Cup game. 

Apart from the odd glimpse in a game there can't be a City fan that has seen him play at a high enough level. 

Until I saw this post I'd honestly forgotten all about him. 

It's certainly no disgrace to not make it at the second tier of football, like the mention of John Akinde above, maybe league two is his level 

Sorry but I really don’t get the hype with him. 

Had a good game in the FA Cup for Newport v Leicester & because he was only 18 or 19 then there then were rumours of a £2m Chelsea bid.

That season he scored 3 league goals at L2 level, still the only ones he has ever managed.

By contrast Mo Eisa (who we discarded after barely a chance) scored 23 goals in his only season at that level & managed 14 in 29 games a level up in the one that has just ended..

This season has been a disastrous one for him, our stupid idea to keep him as our sole home grown player meant he was on the bench no matter what & when involved looked to be out of his depth to me.

When we finally loaned him out he spent the rest of the season on the bench at Sunderland, again barely featuring. His only start coming in a defeat at Rovers, FFS.

I know he is still young but I’m really struggling to see what he actually offers & on a number of occasions when he did come on as a sub, his body language was pretty awful.

Archived