IGNORED

Bristol City v Stoke City - Matchday 44

As I write this, Cardiff are beating Derby and Millwall are beating Blackburn, so the season could be drifting away.

Stoke:

Are currently sat in 18th having got an important 2-0 win on Sunday v Birmingham, which they thoroughly deserved. Managed by ex Northern Ireland player and manager Michael O’Neill, who has done a good job steadying the ship after a disastrous start under Nathan Jones (now back at Luton).  Since taking over he’s recorded the following - P28 W11 D5 L12 Pts38 and probably need a point or two to be safe.

Formation:

E5FD24B0-4B04-4D41-BB2C-2E0D3FDDB486.thumb.jpeg.3baa6bee08135b8ac8546909a5ab0b21.jpeg
A 433 variant that is flexible with or without the ball.

Players:

GK - Adam Davies (27) - ex-Barnsley stopper

RB - Tommy Smith (28) - ex-Huddersfield man, steady right back

LB - Bruno Martins-Indi (28) - Dutchman signed for £7m in 2017

CB - D.Baath (29) - former Wolves man who got the opener on Sunday.  Red carded v City in 17/18!

CB - James Chester (31) - former Villa and Hull centre-back

DM - Jordan Cousins (26) - former QPR midfielder

CM - Nick Powell (26) - former Manchester Utd youngster who was at Wigan last season.  Talented player, my player  to watch.

CM - Sam Clucas (29) - signed from Swansea having been at Hull and Chesterfield.  Got a goal in him.  Nice left foot.

RF - Tyrese Campbell (20) - breakthrough season for the son of ex-Arsenal and Everton man Kevin Campbell.  Likes to cut in onto his left foot

LF - James McClean (31) - controversial character and likes a reckless challenge

CF - Sam Vokes (30) - much travelled striker, formerly on loan at City.

Other Players of note:

Jack Butland, Joe Allen (inj), Tom Ince

Prediction:

Home win, shackles loosened further.  Glimmer of hope remains.

Not a bad side on paper- some past and present internationals, as well as solid Championship performers.

Are Butland and Allen not starters now?? That's a surprise! I would be worried about outnumbering in CM but Stoke don't strike me as a particularly possession based side- may not be such a problem.

Martins-Indi was a Holland international at one point, bit surprised they kept him- but then perhaps he's declined sharply- Stoke as a whole certainly have in recent years!

We definitely should be targeting all three points- well have to be as it keeps our slim playoff hopes alive- could've done with a draw tonight at Cardiff v Derby!

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Glimmer gone Dave not a bad thing i think. Now minds will be concentrated on the bigger picture.

I think you’re right.  Still something to play for but not the biggest surprise if it doesn’t, means the players can play freely....I hope.

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I felt a bit deflated by results last night, so didn’t give it my usual level of efforts.  ☹️

Yeah, I think Baadiff and Millwall winning has effectively ended our season.  Still as long as it is mathematically possible.

Remember when the Gas got dumped out of the football league and how unlikely that looked.

Well if they havent arrived yet they are going to be late M5 closed just north of Tewkesbury southbound since before 3.00pm lorry across all 3 lanes and smashed barrier into lanes 2 and 3 northbound LONG DELAYS.

Archived