IGNORED

Bristol City v Stoke City - Matchday 44

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Doesn't he have time and waves his hands when no one is showing for it, no good forward options for him to pass to? He's a talker, one of the few we have.

The issue with that, is that he waits for the option, moves the ball off, but rarely moves off the ball after to move the ball up the pitch. He usually just steps back to provide an potion and then we rotate back into defence from a promising position. 

Its the biggest difference between Smith and Nagy.

The latter always anticipates on how to move the ball up the pitch and what areas to move into to help give an option before he's made the pass. Its simple, but effective; I thought the second half with Pato on a yellow was screaming out for Nagy imo.

Sign a bit of a unit for the midfield that can score a handful, then rotate between options of Nagy/Walsh and Morrell/Massengo, plus possibly a loan as cover and I think we'll be fine.

23 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Do we think we could get benkovic on loan for another year? 

Apparently Ashton was the link to Leicester not LJ so will depend what happens with Leicester in the market, if they signed another CB and Soyuncu doesn't leave the there could be a chance.

On 15/07/2020 at 18:45, ExiledAjax said:

I would take that bet with you in a heart beat.

On this match: for all the first half excitement, and all the huff and puff, we've still only mustered 6 shots, one of which was on target. Stoke have had 10 with 3 on target. Same underlying issues as we saw all season under LJ.

Some better aspects though.

More possession...conceding a few less shots, and Middlesbrough away was excellent in general.

I think we have a credible Plan A now...the challenge is how we can improve it, albeit within the same structure/shape.

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

More possession...conceding a few less shots, and Middlesbrough away was excellent in general.

I think we have a credible Plan A now...the challenge is how we can improve it, albeit within the same structure/shape.

Laid a foundation, built some familiarity, now to improve and drill it...whilst he’s still in charge.

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Passing has certainly improved. Quantity and quality, and effectiveness. Control and composure in midfield have also been better. I am still to be convinced that it's building towards much of a goal threat but that could be the next thing to work on. Even against Hull and Boro we were outshot just as much as over the rest of the season (although we did have more shots on target ).

Currently we still seem set up to counter attack...but then also are trying to hold possession. That seems counter-intuitive to me but what do I know?

Conceding fewer shots? Not really. Under LJ this season we averaged 14.5 shots against us per game. In the three since he left it's been 18, 14, and 10 to average 14 (albeit across a tiny sample size).

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Laid a foundation, built some familiarity, now to improve and drill it...whilst he’s still in charge.

Here's a (purely hypothetical) planning for next season and obviously nto next season. Would need one or two changes, or things to happen which are far from sure yet. I still can't decide on Maenpaa or Bentley, though age is clearly on the side of the latter. This is a mix of what works now and little tweaks for next season with returning players- and contains one or two assumptions.

Maenpaa/Bentley

Moore Kalas Benkovic

Hunt Two CM's there DaSilva

Paterson  Weimann

Wells

This is pretty loose tbh! However Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, Nagy, Smith- strong competition! Can interchange these?

Paterson has been better than I thought in CM...as and when he can a) Drop into the 3 and b) Help out DaSilva out left (Weimann can help out Hunt on the right, thereby avoiding overloading.

Both Moore and Benkovic can bring the ball out from the back at differing times, perhaps have one sit and one step into midfield.

Weimann energy and assist, Paterson producing moments of magic as he can- plus I think Weimann-Wells could be a nice combination to persist with moving forwards. Weimann-Wells= Assist-Goal x 2 Saturday.

That shape can morph between a 3-5-2, a 3-4-2-1, and a 3-4-1-2...possibly more as well! Particularly though 3-4-1-2 and 3-4-2-1.

Of course Diedhiou as first reserve, or some games we can play a 3rd CM for Paterson- more of a bonafide 3-5-2.

So much will depend on the new manager.

I said a week or so ago that if you are gonna go back 3/5, i.e. wingbacks, your recruitment has to be “all-in” on it.  No half measures. You need 4 wingbacks, because they will get through so much work.  No point in having wingers, unless they truly can adapt to playing WB.

I looked at Sheffield Wednesday’s set up with Harris and Murphy....both wingers By trade.  Harris is hugely industrious.  Murphy less so.  No surprise that Harris had a big contribution.  Murphy looked a little lost for most of the game.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's a (purely hypothetical) planning for next season and obviously nto next season. Would need one or two changes, or things to happen which are far from sure yet. I still can't decide on Maenpaa or Bentley, though age is clearly on the side of the latter. This is a mix of what works now and little tweaks for next season with returning players- and contains one or two assumptions.

Maenpaa/Bentley

Moore Kalas Benkovic

Hunt Two CM,DaSilva

Paterson  Weimann

Wells

This is pretty loose tbh! However Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, Nagy, Smith- strong competition! Can interchange these?

Paterson has been better than I thought in CM...as and when he can a) Drop into the 3 and b) Help out DaSilva out left (Weimann can help out Hunt on the right, thereby avoiding overloading.

Both Moore and Benkovic can bring the ball out from the back at differing times, perhaps have one sit and one step into midfield.

Weimann energy and assist, Paterson producing moments of magic as he can- plus I think Weimann-Wells could be a nice combination to persist with moving forwards. Weimann-Wells= Assist-Goal x 2 Saturday.

That shape can morph between a 3-5-2, a 3-4-2-1, and a 3-4-1-2...possibly more as well! Particularly though 3-4-1-2 and 3-4-2-1.

Of course Diedhiou as first reserve, or some games we can play a 3rd CM for Paterson- more of a bonafide 3-5-2.

You'll do well to have Benkovic here next season. But I like the three across the back. 

Whoever is in midfield next season, we need to work on stopping the shots and crosses, especially if we stick with Bentley. He's shown weakness at both stopping long shots and coming for crosses so those need to be locked down by the midfield.

I agree with your general shape though, although it's heavily reliant on Dasilva and Hunt staying fit all season. I'm not sure Rowe and Vyner can truly deputise as full blown wing backs, so then we'd go 4 at the back and end up back where we were around Christmas.

Whatever happens it's hopefully a puzzle that attracts an intelligent manager who wants an opportunity to implement his philosophy with a group of talented players.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You'll do well to have Benkovic here next season. But I like the three across the back. 

Whoever is in midfield next season, we need to work on stopping the shots and crosses, especially if we stick with Bentley. He's shown weakness at both stopping long shots and coming for crosses so those need to be locked down by the midfield.

I agree with your general shape though, although it's heavily reliant on Dasilva and Hunt staying fit all season. I'm not sure Rowe and Vyner can truly deputise as full blown wing backs, so then we'd go 4 at the back and end up back where we were around Christmas.

Whatever happens it's hopefully a puzzle that attracts an intelligent manager who wants an opportunity to implement his philosophy with a group of talented players.

This is a bit of an ideal really! Moore for Benkovic?

Think we're one light in CM...and it'd show vs the better sides! With the result being concession of shots and crosses. Part of me thinks Maenpaa, defence seems to have a certain level of confidence with him behind. Problem is, age and injury...Bentley can be brilliant but as you say weakness in these areas, he is also prone to an error. One reason Brentford moved him on! O'Leary? Dunno..,yet.

Yeah, unsure about the depth at wing back for sure...Rowe I'd use moreso as a back up/experienced head in CM anyway, just to break the game up a bit though having said that he did better than reasonably expected at LWB- he was never really signed for that purpose IMO!

Archived