IGNORED

Helicopter...

Magic Man

2 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

My mate from my sons junior football has a mate from yate who went to uni with John Coates the owners son.He told me that they used the clanage as a heliport when they came down for the carabao cup game a couple of yrs ago.Could be them again or maybe.....

I went down past the clanage earlier and there was a helicopter just parked up to right of the clubhouse.. did wonder what it was 

40 minutes ago, Street red said:

Most definitely something about helicopters that makes you think no thanks.

Having worked on them I can tell you the way the Civil Aviation Authority works here and in e EU is far better regulated and robust compared to other parts of the world and some aircraft are banned from operating. However freak accidents do happen and it is far easier for a heli to drop out of the sky, What you will find is that the highest proportion of crashed helis are privately owned so maybe not maintained on a professional level. It also depends on the type, these will be banned and even extend to airline bans in many countries over the world.

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

these things generally plummet down vertically

If a helicopter suffers engine failure it should descend in a controlled manner by autorotation. A lot of trainee pilots have to do this when the instructor knocks off the switch whilst hovering well above ground (a bit like an emergency stop when taking your driving test). The real worry is failure of the tail rotor - that will have a nasty effect on altitude.

8 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

My mate from my sons junior football has a mate from yate who went to uni with John Coates the owners son.He told me that they used the clanage as a heliport when they came down for the carabao cup game a couple of yrs ago.Could be them again or maybe.....

100% correct 

12 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

Wouldn't catch me in a helicopter. Heard far too many horror stories. 

Where would they land? In the park? Not sure what the rules and regulations are.

I've had the fortune to go for a jolly in an army lynx years back. Better than any roller coaster ride, army pilot was having fun demoing battle tactics, demoed autorotation and just about took the lynx to the limits of its possibilities. Wouldn't be allowed in happen in a civilian environment.

Helicopter safety is all about maintenance and the pilot. Get both right and they are safe.
More people are killed in this country by numpties behind the wheel of a car/lorry and people not servicing their cars/lorries.

20 hours ago, Magic Man said:

... Seen by me over Ashton Gate 5 mins before the start of the match and reappears 10 mins after the final whistle. Hmmmmm

Vip in town for the match?? 

Probably the whole reason Stoke requested an earlier kick off.  I bet it had everything to do with his helicopter (permissions to land and take off etc) than it did for the Stoke players getting in a little late, if the kick off was the original time.

Archived