IGNORED

Bentley back on form

Negan

I know it's only been a few games but since he was dropped and brought back in I think he's been excellent. I was annoyed at the amount of stick he was getting when he wasn't at his best considering the only reason we were as high in the table as we were was because the first half of the season he was pulling out show stopping saves every game. Yes he's made a few mistakes, the defence constantly chopping and changing all season won't have helped. Would have loved to see him with a full in form Kalas and Webster at CB's. Benkovic looks like he's finding his feet now so perhaps getting him back on loan next season to partner Kalas will hopefully see us have a solid defence and a confident Bentley, who in my opinion, is one of the best keepers in the league by far. Shame the season is coming to an end as I think another 4/5 games would see us in real contention for a play off spot but for the 3rd season in a row..... maybe next years our year... 

Just now, Negan said:

I know it's only been a few games but since he was dropped and brought back in I think he's been excellent. I was annoyed at the amount of stick he was getting when he wasn't at his best considering the only reason we were as high in the table as we were was because the first half of the season he was pulling out show stopping saves every game. Yes he's made a few mistakes, the defence constantly chopping and changing all season won't have helped. Would have loved to see him with a full in form Kalas and Webster at CB's. Benkovic looks like he's finding his feet now so perhaps getting him back on loan next season to partner Kalas will hopefully see us have a solid defence and a confident Bentley, who in my opinion, is one of the best keepers in the league by far. Shame the season is coming to an end as I think another 4/5 games would see us in real contention for a play off spot but for the 3rd season in a row..... maybe next years our year... 

I think him and Maenpaa are very contrasting keepers. It's possible that Nikki would have come off his line quicker for their goal, but quite possibly wouldn't have stopped their one on one chance. 

Also, Pato's goal over the weekend came from excellent quick distribution from him. 

I can see why someone would prefer Maenpaa as a "safer pair of hands" but I think Bentley is a more talented keeper. If he could cut out some errors from his game he would be a top player.

26 minutes ago, Super said:

Shot stopping he is very good but he doesn't command his area at all. He never comes for crosses even when the ball is inside the 6 yard box.

Such as last night.  There's no way the ball should've reached Batth.  That should've been his.

Lets be honest though, if he didn't have those errors in him we wouldn't have been able to afford him.  We just need to hope that he can "grow out of them" under the new head honcho.  

16 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Such as last night.  There's no way the ball should've reached Batth.  That should've been his.

Lets be honest though, if he didn't have those errors in him we wouldn't have been able to afford him.  We just need to hope that he can "grow out of them" under the new head honcho.  

A symptom of Bristol City's defending this season has been dropping. The players are invading the Keepers space instead of keeping it big. When defenders drop they control the space not the keeper and the defenders have made it their priority to deal with the ball. The players are also dropping and not observing basic defending principles of ball and man and their feet. Facing up in a defensive diamond (ball and man) players feet positions allow them to jump and attack crosses. Its a real basic not being observed, you cant jump in positions when your legs cross. Being respectful you shouldn't expect to see well coached pros doing this ..

Early days but an aspect of City play now is Bentley +  Benkovic. City are playing more passes out of the thirds with more security. That could be progressed. Bentley has a very high level of footballing skill with his feet to utilise with Benkovic being more of the footballing centre back Bristol City have not been playing with.

I remember that one of the reasons given why we bought Bentley was the speed and accuracy of his distribution, one of the highlights of his performance last night was the return to the swift throw out to launch us forward . That went missing for large parts of the season which begs the question of player management. 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I remember that one of the reasons given why we bought Bentley was the speed and accuracy of his distribution, one of the highlights of his performance last night was the return to the swift throw out to launch us forward . That went missing for large parts of the season which begs the question of player management. 

Lee Johnson had a preference for defensive compactness. It creates less opportunity for that throw (it is called the javelin technique/throw). 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Shot stopping he is very good but he doesn't command his area at all. He never comes for crosses even when the ball is inside the 6 yard box.

If he had come for the ball into penalty box last evening, he would have probably denied Stoke their goal. He makes good reaction saves but weakness is not claiming enough crosses but stays rooted to his line.

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I can see why someone would prefer Maenpaa as a "safer pair of hands" but I think Bentley is a more talented keeper. If he could cut out some errors from his game he would be a top player.

I think this says our goalkeeping choices perfectly.

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If he had come for the ball into penalty box last evening, he would have probably denied Stoke their goal. He makes good reaction saves but weakness is not claiming enough crosses but stays rooted to his line.

The cross. City have two players versus the player in possession. They allow the Stoke player to cross the ball. A theme all season. City don't work crosses and opt to go compact. 

There were four City players v three Stoke players in the box. The defenders opt to drop instead of keeping a higher line. Players lose their men. Don't get touch tight. Do not get goal side. Do not observe basic defending principles - can I see the ball and my man. A theme not of the season but certainly months. Its passive. Feeble. Get up high or win it. 

When your CB's drop that deep you stay at home. The have made a decision to control that space. Keepers cannot second guess that numerous players wont do their tasks.  

How are we going to deny (D) space. Do we defend with depth (D) . Do we delay (D) the cross, How do we dictate (D) how we are going to defend. Defensive D's = Simple coaching.

Basics that hopefully will improve with consistency. 

Archived