IGNORED

The 7/10 team

Matthew me

For the first time in a few seasons, I believe we've amassed a squad of 7/10 type players . I'm sure sure I see the star quality or game changer ability in any of our team.

We've got a steady group of pros, hard working, decent lads. But don't we need the magical player to make it tick? The Tomlins, or Freeman's of this world?

Aside from perhaps glimpses of Patto, eliason, I'm not sure who else can claim the X factor.

If it were me, I'd push the boat and get Dack from Blackburn, or try and persist with Palmer. We need that clever midfielder that can unlock a defence and load the gun for our front line 

Sorry to say, I think AW and COD aren't the answer. Both very typical of our 7 out of 10 match report player.

I'm not being negative, I just think we need those magic daps to add the missing ingredient

6 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

For the first time in a few seasons, I believe we've amassed a squad of 7/10 type players . I'm sure sure I see the star quality or game changer ability in any of our team.

We've got a steady group of pros, hard working, decent lads. But don't we need the magical player to make it tick? The Tomlins, or Freeman's of this world?

Aside from perhaps glimpses of Patto, eliason, I'm not sure who else can claim the X factor.

If it were me, I'd push the boat and get Dack from Blackburn, or try and persist with Palmer. We need that clever midfielder that can unlock a defence and load the gun for our front line 

Sorry to say, I think AW and COD aren't the answer. Both very typical of our 7 out of 10 match report player.

I'm not being negative, I just think we need those magic daps to add the missing ingredient

Leave it with me.  I'll see what I can do. 

16 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

A team of 7/10 players wins the league.

I don't think it does necessarily. Most teams that win the league or get promoted have one or two star players. These don't necessarily have to be enigmas like JET, Tomlin, Trundle or Taarabt - but this can be a 20 goal a season striker, a midfield general etc.

Our double winning team had loads of 8-9/10 players for League 1.

33 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Respectfully. I think we have the best squad we've ever had, in at least the 30 years I've been supporting city. 

LJs 'not midfield' has blinded some. 

The players are there, it is just going to take the right man or women to unlock that. 

We dont need more, we have the players, get formation and tactics right and we're there. 

Maybe just me though. 

With respect, I don't see it. 

A squad with Bryan, Reid, flint, brownhill , Tomlin, feels a lot stronger to me

GJ had a squad of 6 &7/10 players but was able to make them into an 8.5/10 team.

LJ had a squad of 7&8/10 players but made them into a 6/10 team.

I Believe when the new manager is appointed, he will be shipping 2 or 3 out and bringing in 2 or 3. We have the basis of a good side, but we need a few tweaks, ( Not sure who tweak plays for?) and most definitely more organisation and tactical nous. With the right man (Houghton?) I think this side, with those few additions can certainly get in the top 6 next season.

SG ticks both the 'up and coming' (if you'll pardon the expression) and 'magic sparkle' boxes. It's a risk but sometimes you can over-analyse things. Isn't CH a bit of boring choice? Yes, he is proven at this level but that is a historical fact, not a predictor of the future.

With SG there will be the classic "buzz around the place". It could go pear-shaped, but at the current moment in time that could happen with CH too.

It's a funny old game.

48 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I'm not sure they do. I can't remember a team of average players winning the league

Always had a 20+ striker or something special in the middle

7/10 isn’t average though is it.  Even in football parlance, 6/10 is average (not sure why not 5/10, but that’s the way Match always did them), so having everyone playing 7/10 would be really good.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

7/10 isn’t average though is it.  Even in football parlance, 6/10 is average (not sure why not 5/10, but that’s the way Match always did them), so having everyone playing 7/10 would be really good.

Fair point, perhaps we're a team of 6/10 with the odd spike that brings us a win

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

GJ had a squad of 6 &7/10 players but was able to make them into an 8.5/10 team.

LJ had a squad of 7&8/10 players but made them into a 6/10 team.

I think Trundle, Basso, Orr , were better than 6/10. We had magic with trundle and noble.

We don't have that now

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

With respect, I don't see it. 

A squad with Bryan, Reid, flint, brownhill , Tomlin, feels a lot stronger to me

I'm not sure we ever had those players in that strong a squad though.

The season where Bryan, Reid, Flint and Brownhiill excelled was the season we reached the League Cup semi-finals and played superb football but our form dropped off a cliff at the end of the season due to players being tired and a lack of depth and replacements. I think now the depth is a little better but without players who are exceptional in this division (or perhaps players who are not exceptional yet in any case).

At the same time, I don't think we are far away. What is noticeable for me is that Vyner has come back from loan and slotted straight into the team. He looks comfortable but unspectacular but he has not looked out of place at any point, and this isn't even a player seen as one of brightest loaned prospects.

Next season, if we can incorporate and develop players like O'Leary, Moore, Walsh and Morrell, sign a ball-winning defender we've missed since Webster (Benkovic could be it but is not quite there), get stronger left-back cover and a good right back and replace anyone who leaves (my guess would be Eliasson, Smith and Diedhiou) with quality replacements, I think we could have the strongest squad we have had in years. I think we're only 3 or 4 players away. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not sure we ever had those players in that strong a squad though.

The season where Bryan, Reid, Flint and Brownhiill excelled was the season we reached the League Cup semi-finals and played superb football but our form dropped off a cliff at the end of the season due to players being tired and a lack of depth and replacements. I think now the depth is a little better but without players who are exceptional in this division (or perhaps players who are not exceptional yet in any case).

At the same time, I don't think we are far away. What is noticeable for me is that Vyner has come back from loan and slotted straight into the team. He looks comfortable but unspectacular but he has not looked out of place at any point, and this isn't even a player seen as one of brightest loaned prospects.

Vyner had a good opening 45 v Forest, but tired.  Two games in short succession, meant a lacklustre performance v Cardiff.  Did okay v Hull coming on after 5 minutes, but last night he was better than ok.  He used the ball pretty well too.

My only real concern with him is aerially.  For a CB at 6’1 / 6’2 he is tall enough, but he needs to be more imposing, and get up earlier.  At this level the strength of opposing CF’s backing in and using their body will mean if Zak doesn’t get up early, he won’t win the ball.  Look at Kalas (who is strong) who when “on song” jumps incredibly early to win balls.  He might look a little ungainly and almost unbalanced, but he doesn’t get dominated.

Other than that, Zak has come in and done himself no harm.  He’s behind Taylor Moore, but at 23, he’s needs to keep developing and want to keep developing.  Looks like he is a good pro, and I’d have no qualms about him being part of the 1st team squad next season.

Next season, if we can incorporate and develop players like O'Leary, Moore, Walsh and Morrell, sign a ball-winning defender we've missed since Webster (Benkovic could be it but is not quite there), get stronger left-back cover and a good right back and replace anyone who leaves (my guess would be Eliasson, Smith and Diedhiou) with quality replacements, I think we could have the strongest squad we have had in years. I think we're only 3 or 4 players away. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I Believe when the new manager is appointed, he will be shipping 2 or 3 out and bringing in 2 or 3. We have the basis of a good side, but we need a few tweaks, ( Not sure who tweak plays for?) and most definitely more organisation and tactical nous. With the right man (Houghton?) I think this side, with those few additions can certainly get in the top 6 next season.

We need to ship out more than we bring in.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Respectfully. I think we have the best squad we've ever had, in at least the 30 years I've been supporting city. 

The players are there, it is just going to take the right man or women to unlock that. 

We dont need more, we have the players, get formation and tactics right and we're there. 

Maybe just me though. 

Completely agree. This squad is a dream for a new man to come in and inherit, they've had their creativity stifled and it needs the right person to come in and unlock it, as you say. 

I think between Palmer, Szmodics, Walsh and Massengo there's a perfect blend of talents there that could really kick on and transform our team. 

I think the squad itself needs minor tweaks and not wholesale changes.

To me there's different types of 7/10 though.

You've got players like Smith, Maenpaa and Weimann who just do everything very solidly but will never (maybe incredibly rarely) do anything outrageously good or outrageously bad. They do everything at a 7, but nothing at a 10 or a 3.

Then you've got Palmer, Bentley, Eliasson, Paterson types who do a few things at 9 or occasionally 10 but also have traits that see them operating far below a 7. 

The squad needs a balance. Too many of the steady Eddie's and you're slow, predictable and unimaginative. Too many wildcards and you can't paper over the gaps they leave.

Actually to my mind the squad is currently quite well balanced. If anything I'd like a couple more wildcards for the bench. Palmer and Adobe were out on Wednesday but the bench was pretty drab overall.

We’ve got:-

Goalkeeper 6

Defence 6

Midfield 4

Attack 6

Need consistent 8’s for auto’s and 7’s for play-offs.

Goalkeepers, Defence, Attack are potential 7’s with the right manager.

Despite - did I read a posting - having 19 (!!j midfielders on our books we need to buy 3 quality midfielders in. I’d trade 15 of those 19 to bring 3 quality in.  

4 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Maybe just me though. 

No , not just you. Agree 100%.

Archived