IGNORED

Set Pieces - The New Flint - Temporarily

Davefevs

Was just thinking about the last few games with Filip Benkovic in the side.  We have passed the ball better, over 400 successful passes last night.  Yeah, a lot were side to side at the back, but under LJ we couldn’t even do that!    Benkovic a huge factor in that and makes you wonder why LJ didn’t pick him, yet first thing Holden did was to go back 3/5 and bring him in.

But the thing I’ve noticed is his threat in the opposition penalty area.  At 6’4 he should be an asset, but like Flint, he knows where the ball is going and has the knack of getting on the end of things.  Even v Cardiff he had a header (wide) and an overhead kick over. Last night’s “curler” is not what you expect from your CB, but Holden mentioned he’s played as a striker til his teens, so perhaps less surprising.

I was mixed on him (defensively) after his early appearances but noticed the threat in the box v Derby, not just because he scored but other efforts too.  Defensively he has got to grips really well, and very brave too (without getting injured!!j

Its a shame he’s on loan, not convinced he’ll be back.  I could envisage Moore / Kalas / Benkovic bring a really good foundation next season.

Could not fathom why LJ would not play a foot-balling CB like Benkovic. Barmy.

We should make every effort to sign him. I hope he isn't too pissed off about not being played until now. He's one of those players who seem to have acres of time, always a sign of a quality player.

Bonkers isn’t it.  LJ talked about playing from the back, signs a Webster-type on loan (won’t have been cheap) and then doesn’t play him after talking about (paraphrased) “it’s been great to integrate the new boys”.

I think in 3 games, even though not great, Holden has really shown up some if LJ’s deficiencies.

Back to Benkovic, saw something on twitter last night, can’t find it now, that Leicester are looking for a European loan next season.  We shall see.

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

We should make every effort to sign him. I hope he isn't too pissed off about not being played until now. He's one of those players who seem to have acres of time, always a sign of a quality player.

Over 13m transfer from Zagreb to Leicester...

I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him for another season on loan, but would be surprised if it happened. 

All players can take time to bed in at a new club, sometimes more so in the case of a January transfer. Why he was sent to Coventry (so to speak) and not really seen again until recently I don't know. 

He's just starting to look settled, but we probably won't get to see the best of him, especially if Leicester are looking for a European loan as mentioned above.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

It's got to be said a lot of fans - I'll hold my hands up and include myself in that - were as quick as LJ to write him off. But he's really shown his value over the last three games. 

If we could get him for another year alongside Kalas, Moore and Vyner and find a fifth defender with the no-nonsense brick-heading qualities of Williams and Baker but without the red mist of the former and injury problems of the latter, we'd have strong defensive options next season. Can't see Benkovic staying sadly but hope it happens. 

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bonkers isn’t it.  LJ talked about playing from the back, signs a Webster-type on loan (won’t have been cheap) and then doesn’t play him after talking about (paraphrased) “it’s been great to integrate the new boys”.

Wasn't there talk of him not being an LJ signing, just another one foisted onto him by Ashton? LJ sending a message to MA by not playing him amid all the politicking obviously going on 

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, another loan at best.

I think Benko will be playing Europa League football next season. I think Lokomotiv Moskow were linked with him (I may have made that up) and you'd expect that a fair few top clubs from lesser footballing nations (Belgium, Holland, Austria, Switzerland etc) would be interested in a season loan.

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Wasn't there talk of him not being an LJ signing, just another one foisted onto him by Ashton? LJ sending a message to MA by not playing him amid all the politicking obviously going on 

Quite happy to have a player of his quality “foisted upon” me.

LJ’s inconsistent selection policy is typified with a player like Benkovic.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was just thinking about the last few games with Filip Benkovic in the side.  We have passed the ball better, over 400 successful passes last night.  Yeah, a lot were side to side at the back, but under LJ we couldn’t even do that!    Benkovic a huge factor in that and makes you wonder why LJ didn’t pick him, yet first thing Holden did was to go back 3/5 and bring him in.

But the thing I’ve noticed is his threat in the opposition penalty area.  At 6’4 he should be an asset, but like Flint, he knows where the ball is going and has the knack of getting on the end of things.  Even v Cardiff he had a header (wide) and an overhead kick over. Last night’s “curler” is not what you expect from your CB, but Holden mentioned he’s played as a striker til his teens, so perhaps less surprising.

I was mixed on him (defensively) after his early appearances but noticed the threat in the box v Derby, not just because he scored but other efforts too.  Defensively he has got to grips really well, and very brave too (without getting injured!!j

Its a shame he’s on loan, not convinced he’ll be back.  I could envisage Moore / Kalas / Benkovic bring a really good foundation next season.

I think I menetioned this in the Jay thread but I do believe his presence helps both Kalas and Jay. He almost has a calming influence on Kalas, much like Webster did. He also helps set Jay away down the left with his appreciation of when and where to give him the ball. Baker treats the ball like a hot potato and which often results in Jay receiving it with his back to goal or needing an extra touch to get under control. 

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

No idea if that is true or not, but Ashton is mates with Brendan Rodgers apparently so maybe a bit of back scratching going on ? Whatever, not persisting with him was daft by LJ - you don't have quality like that available too often. 

15 minutes ago, SBB said:

I think I menetioned this in the Jay thread but I do believe his presence helps both Kalas and Jay. He almost has a calming influence on Kalas, much like Webster did. He also helps set Jay away down the left with his appreciation of when and where to give him the ball. Baker treats the ball like a hot potato and which often results in Jay receiving it with his back to goal or needing an extra touch to get under control. 

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No idea if that is true or not, but Ashton is mates with Brendan Rodgers apparently so maybe a bit of back scratching going on ? Whatever, not persisting with him was daft by LJ - you don't have quality like that available too often. 

It’s funny, because that 30 minute sub appearance v Brum, when Jutkiewicz bullied him for their 3rd overshadowed his ability in the opposition box.  Usual comments of “lightweight” were justified on that occasion.

But I remember returning from Australia last season for the Boro game at home, seeing Webster for the first time, and writing words to the effect of:

“I hope we haven’t signed a signed a CB who doesn’t like heading the ball”

because Webster looked nervous under the high ball.  Luckily I added words to the effect of:

”but it’s the first time I’ve seen him, but something to keep an eye out for”

It proved pretty unfounded, and shows that you really do need to see several games before forming an opinion.

Benkovic has looked good in the 3 games, both with the ball and defending.

43 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think Benko will be playing Europa League football next season. I think Lokomotiv Moskow were linked with him (I may have made that up) and you'd expect that a fair few top clubs from lesser footballing nations (Belgium, Holland, Austria, Switzerland etc) would be interested in a season loan.

You'd like to think that Leicester would see the Championship as a better grounding for him than some of those leagues. I'd also be amazed if those teams could afford him unless they are Champions League teams. it would be a great coup to have him on a season long loan, but if I was Rodgers I'd want him back challenging for a first team spot at Leicester.

Benkovic is nothing like Flint in the box and generally in the air for someone so tall. He doesn't attack the ball, rather jostles with the opposition and the ball almost just falls onto his head. This does make it far easier to control a passed header, but he needs to be stronger than his opponent. 

Flint use to attack everything and would push anyone out the way to get there, that's why he was so dangerous in the box because he was unmarkable. Watch the video of his 15 goals in the promotion season and I don't think I've ever seen anyone be so dominant in an opposition box in any league ever. The fact he was worth 5-10 goal a season with us alone is remarkable, let a lone our current defence probably have 5 between them this season.

Benkovic has obvious improvements in terms of passing and positioning over Flint but he is nowhere near as dominant in the air.

58 minutes ago, grifty said:

Benkovic is nothing like Flint in the box and generally in the air for someone so tall. He doesn't attack the ball, rather jostles with the opposition and the ball almost just falls onto his head. This does make it far easier to control a passed header, but he needs to be stronger than his opponent.

are you talking our box or their box or both.  I’m referring to Benkovic in their box. He’s a very different “defender” to Flint....that’s not the comparison I’m making.  

Flint use to attack everything and would push anyone out the way to get there, that's why he was so dangerous in the box because he was unmarkable.

I’m not comparing their relative methods to get to the ball, I’m making a point that in his games he has good movement and anticipation and the balls appears to be a magnet.  He’s had chances in pretty much every game.

Watch the video of his 15 goals in the promotion season and I don't think I've ever seen anyone be so dominant in an opposition box in any league ever.

not disputing his goals record at all.  Nor am I saying he’s better than Flint, just saying it’s the first player we’ve had since Flint who’s looked a threat in their box.

The fact he was worth 5-10 goal a season with us alone is remarkable, let a lone our current defence probably have 5 between them this season.

Benkovic 2 in 7 starts is a good effort.  We haven’t had anyone all season that’s given us a good option from set-pieces.

Benkovic has obvious improvements in terms of passing and positioning over Flint but he is nowhere near as dominant in the air.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Great back three!! 

Archived