IGNORED

Weight Loss Tips/Suggestions

Yank

Hey all I am looking to lose at least 30 pounds and trying to find the best way to go about doing so.  I do a lot of walking, treadmill and eating healthier but just seeing if any other good ways ya'll know to lose weight.  Any diets that have been tried by some on here and worked the best for them?  I am a very much a steak and potatoes kind of dude but deffo trying to cut back on those things as much as possible.  Any tips and/or suggestions in regards to weight loss will be much appreciated. Cheers.

It doesn't work for everybody, but calorie counting does the trick for me. Use an app like myfitnesspal and record everything you eat, set a daily calorie limit and don't go over it. It's annoying to start with, having to record everything but you soon get used to it, and it does make you think about what you eat. Plus, you can effectively eat whatever you like as long as it's within the limit.

I've lost over a stone since mid May, so it certainly works for me.

Obviously, long term it's harder to maintain the weight loss unless you continue to count calories forever (which isn't ideal!!) so another strategy might be needed once you've reached your goal weight. 

Walking around 5-10 miles a day, cut down on the alcohol, bread and sweet stuff (I like my drink so I'm not giving it up, but I have cut down) - I've lost 2 stone since April (Covid has had a positive effect on me on that front - fatty's are in the higher risk group so time to sort it out).

Nothing complicated.

6 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

It doesn't work for everybody, but calorie counting does the trick for me. Use an app like myfitnesspal and record everything you eat, set a daily calorie limit and don't go over it. It's annoying to start with, having to record everything but you soon get used to it, and it does make you think about what you eat. Plus, you can effectively eat whatever you like as long as it's within the limit.

I've lost over a stone since mid May, so it certainly works for me.

Obviously, long term it's harder to maintain the weight loss unless you continue to count calories forever (which isn't ideal!!) so another strategy might be needed once you've reached your goal weight. 

This is the most basic and scientific answer, simply eat less than you burn = weight loss

Using MFP is a great suggestion especially for anyone who has never taken a look at nutritional values of food, you’ll be surprised how many cals are in what foods or what a proper serving actually looks like (it’s not as big most people think!)

in terms of how you achieve this there are endless ways, and doing so will be personal preference

you can follow a “diet” but if you don’t understand why it’s working then you may get stuck when you want to maintain a happy weight. The reason the diets work is they usually put you in a huge calorie deficit that is unsustainable. You lose weight fairly quickly but after a while you’ll plateau or possibly cave in to being hungry and start undoing the work. that’s how these diet companies work, they crash diet then when you put weight back on people go back to what they know “worked” and get in a cycle of diet culture.

best suggestion is use an online calculator to work out your calorie needs (search calorie calculator there’s loads) then use My fitness pal and spend a couple of days just experimenting with what you normally eat and log it all, everything. This will give you an idea of what you’ve been eating and where you can trim some calories. Maybe use half the amount of butter on your toast, sweetener instead of sugar in the multiples teas/coffees a day, have a few less potatoes and a few more veg as some examples.

the “science” is that you can eat whatever you want, if you’re in a calorie deficit you’ll lose weight (although there’s arguments about body composition that could be had in terms of macros) - however good wholesome foods will leave you feeling fuller for longer.

A 30g serving of protein and some veg will fill you up for relatively few cals where as a grab bag of crisps will likely be the same amount of calories but you’ll be hungry again a lot sooner

Hope this helps if you’ve got any questions just reply on here. I’ll add the disclaimer I’m not a nutritionist but I’ve been training and studying all things health and fitness as a hobby for 10+ years and initially lost several stone myself

Weight management is a more complex and individual subject than people (including many well-informed) don't quite realise. Yes, the basic equation of 'food in - exercise done = body weight' is the starting point but it needs to be seen in the broader view. Whilst 'you are what you eat' is relevant, it must be understood that the body consumes calories every second of the day. What really counts is the rate of consumption versus the body's needs. It's about what your body does with the food you give it - how your body uses it is the big variable!

In an example of a person who does little exercise and has a low metabolism, food intake must be limited to keep the weight stable. An athlete who exercises a lot will have a higher metabolism that demands more calories in order to maintain performance. It's about understanding 1) what you eat, and 2) what your body does with it. The end result tends to be a focusing on weight, although it really needs to be considered in relation to body type too.

It is a balancing act. Get it right and you should get the results you are looking for.

The first question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to lose weight?
is it just words or are you serious about it.

simply no excuses, and be accountable to what you eat, I have 5 whats-app groups where i have posted my weight over the last 3 years or so.
i had no place to hide.

if you are serious about it set yourself a reasonable target.  aiming for 1lb to 1.25lb a week is your objective. (anything more is a bonus, but that is always the goal, believe me it builds up)
So 24 to 30 weeks. lose it over time and consistently. I followed a 2 week rule, if i didn't lose weight over two weeks, I had to tweak mine. (more calories, less calories, less carbs, etc..... when it is working ride the train, when it stops for two weeks tweak it)

For the 1st 4 months, I was simply eating less, and going to the gym as often as I could.
and by going to the gym, you start to feel like, geez I am working hard here, I am not overeating to ruin this effort. (cant lie in 2008 with @elhombrecito I left the gym and had a pizza)
it was going well.
then over a 3 week period where i was still massively overweight, I hit a brick wall, I was gymming 5 times a week, but lost 1lb in 3 weeks.
I was angry and frustrated, felt like I was losing the battle.

In that moment @elhombrecito suggested calorie counting, and this opened my eyes. I truly realised what I was eating each day and how my head estimates were way off (try 100g of rice, look at how small it looks, then look at the calories).
bread for example...wow.
my calorie counting started off as more or less estimates.... and the weight flew off 9lb in 3 weeks)
then, i would split, things over 5 days.... (take the average)
finally buying food scales and liquid measuring cup.

You do not have to be perfect, just close.....

but it is not just about what you eat , also when.
to some people it is about simply calories per day, others it is about timing.

at first, I could eat any time of day, the weight came off.
but over time it evolved, i had to finish eating as far from sleeping as possible
this year....
breakfast at 8
lunch at 12
dinner at 1600

no food after 1800. (with exceptions)

..........................................................................................
one of the most important reasons I succeeded however was clearly separating exercise and what I ate.
last summer for example,
I basically ate as I wanted, but went to the gym 5 times a week.
over summer I added almost half a stone.

so in diet mode...
you set tour goal whether it is 1250/1500/1600/1800 calories a day and that is what you eat,
what that meant for me is 
if i went to the gym i lost weight
if i didn't go to the gym I lost weight.
my 5 a side team played 2230-2330, sometimes after I would feel starving..... I had to be honest with myself. Does my body need food or can I wait till the morning. 

and finally, AND THIS WAS THE BEST PART.

choose your weigh day.
for me it was Sunday morning so i couldn't indulge on Friday or Saturday.
you weigh yourself in the morning, the free meal or free cheat day.

you cannot imagine what i eat on a Sunday, every craving i choose.
Often i will plan it from Thursday.
last weekend , i had a medium pizza, garlic break and chicken fingers all to myself, guilt free.

i have even had KFC for lunch and dinner , really it is true.

ill have indians, chinease, Spanish food, but whatever I want and No limits. GUILT FREE

there is nothing better than enjoying food you have earnt through the week.

and finally, pick your battles, find your way of winning.

I have struggled with food my whole life.
those cravings etc.
my way of winning that battle was no food Monday, I did it for 2 months...
why? to prove to myself I could do without food.
after that it was easy, those cravings at 9pm.... easy to ignore 

........................................................................................

and that is it.

count your calories, find out which foods work for you.
over time get the carbs/protein balance.

know that the 1st two weeks are hardest... but the feeling of hunger is winning.

separate exercise from eating, they are two different battles.
if you eat correctly to lose weight , you lose weight.
if you exercise, your body gets healthy.

jan 2016 = 21st 4
jan 2017  = 17st 8
jan 2018 19st ( I walked 12,000 steps a day for a year, yet added over a stone)
jan 2019 14st 6

jan 2020 13st 3   (june 2019 12st 6.... i worked out all summer, then convinced myself, I could eat as i wanted again just exercise..., got up to 13st 7, so last xmas, I did not pig out, i did not earn the right.

June 2020, 11.st 1. (job done finished.)

During Spanish lockdown, no going out, I lost weight, at the end I was as low as 1200 calories a day, I was determined lockdown would not beat me, I have since been adding 100 calories per day to each week.
it is tough going, I have the guilt of eating more to deal with.

Now i have to live my own new normal.
counting my calories....
eating well when I am at home, but learning it is ok to eat out.

I hope my story helps in some way, if you have any more questions feel free to DM me.

@elhombrecito done

I get a lot of comments about the topless now one, mostly negative, but most do not understand that that is not my end game, simply part of the process.

I also had Coronvirus, it was pretty bad. What i can tell you for sure is, if I had not lost the weight, I would have died, Coronavirus hit me pretty hard, so I truly truly believe that.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-16 at 22.21.13 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-16 at 22.21.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-16 at 22.20.43.jpeg

Some great advice on here. 

All I’ll add though is that I don’t believe in ‘diets’ per se. They don’t work. As someone else said earlier, you may achieve instant results, but long term, they won’t provide a solution. 

For me it’s all about balance. Eat as healthily as you can, but don’t worry if you have a bad day here or there.

There’s no need to cut out anything, as long as you have the ‘bad’ things in moderation. 

With traditional ‘diets’, there’s often too much temptation because you’re sacrificing something you really love. 
If you just have a sensible, balanced intake, you can still have the occasional take away or whatever, but the absolute most important thing to remember is the ‘mentality’ of that. 
Don’t think - “bugger, I’ve had a kebab. What a waste of the last 3 weeks healthy eating”. 
Instead think “I’ve had a kebab. Ok, it’s a bad day. But I sometimes have a bad day at work, and I don’t quit my job because of it”. 

The mentality is key. Having one bad day should not immediately lead you to give up. It’s just that - a bad day. Chalk it off and go again. 

All that said though. It’s not just nutrition. It’s exercise too. 
Just make sure you are regularly active. 

58 minutes ago, The turtle said:

The first question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to lose weight?

simply no excuses, and be accountable to what you eat, I have 5 whats-app groups where i have posted my weight over the last 3 years or so.
i had no place to hide.

if you are serious about it set yourself a reasonable target.  aiming for 1lb to 1.25lb a week is your objective. (anything more is a bonus, but that is always the goal, believe me it builds up)
So 24 to 30 weeks. lose it over time and consistently. I followed a 2 week rule, if i didn't lose weight over two weeks, I had to tweak mine. (more calories, less calories, less carbs, etc..... when it is working ride the train, when it stops for two weeks tweak it)

For the 1st 4 months, I was simply eating less, and going to the gym as often as I could.
and by going to the gym, you start to feel like, geez I am working hard here, I am not overeating to ruin this effort. (cant lie in 2008 with @elhombrecito I left the gym and had a pizza)
it was going well.
then over a 3 week period where i was still massively overweight, I hit a brick wall, I was gymming 5 times a week, but lost 1lb in 3 weeks.

In that moment @elhombrecito suggested calorie counting, and this opened my eyes. I truly realised what I was eating each day and how my head estimates were way off (try 100g of rice, look at how small it looks, then look at the calories).
bread for example...wow.
my calorie counting started off as more or less estimates.... and the weight flew off 9lb in 3 weeks)

but over time it evolved, i had to finish eating as far from sleeping as possible
this year....
breakfast at 8
lunch at 12
dinner at 1600

..........................................................................................
one of the most important reasons I succeeded however was clearly separating exercise and what I ate.
last summer for example,

so in diet mode...
you set tour goal whether it is 1250/1500/1600/1800 calories a day and that is what you eat,
my 5 a side team played 2230-2330, sometimes after I would feel starving..... I had to be honest with myself. Does my body need food or can I wait till the morning. 

choose your weigh day.

last weekend , i had a medium pizza, garlic break and chicken fingers all to myself, guilt free.

ill have indians, chinease, Spanish food, but whatever I want and No limits. GUILT FREE

those cravings etc.

........................................................................................

and that is it.

know that the 1st two weeks are hardest... but the feeling of hunger is winning.

jan 2016 = 21st 4
jan 2017  = 17st 8
jan 2019 14st 6

jan 2020 13st 3   (june 2019 12st 6.... i worked out all summer, then convinced myself, I could eat as i wanted again just exercise..., got up to 13st 7, so last xmas, I did not pig out, i did not earn the right.

During Spanish lockdown, no going out, I lost weight, at the end I was as low as 1200 calories a day, I was determined lockdown would not beat me, I have since been adding 100 calories per day to each week.

counting my calories....

I hope my story helps in some way, if you have any more questions feel free to DM me.

Pretty inspirational stuff here for someone who has spent his whole life about 2/3 stone overweight. 

if you can shed all that it makes me realise I should be able to try and get shot of mine if I really put a proper effort in

I now have a couple of young kids and am constantly finding excuses not to exercise (some genuine/some fabricated)

do you drink alchohol at all? If so how do you approach that?

7 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Pretty inspirational stuff here for someone who has spent his whole life about 2/3 stone overweight. 

if you can shed all that it makes me realise I should be able to try and get shot of mine if I really put a proper effort in

I now have a couple of young kids and am constantly finding excuses not to exercise (some genuine/some fabricated)

do you drink alchohol at all? If so how do you approach that?

My philosophy was/is you don't have it in the house to look at it. so no alcohol in the house. More so with chocolate and sweets too.
I picked A Sunday morning weigh in, So I couldn't go out on weekend nights. (however Saturday would also be perfectly fine, Fridsy morning I wouldn't advise as too much of a weekend ahead)
there were some extremely painful family nights where the whole room was eating pizza and socially pressuring me to do so, but i knew weigh day was in the morning, so I resisted.
as time went on, I would skip a weigh week, because I had earnt the right to enjoy a Saturday night

That also applied if I had nights out planned, I would skip that Sunday morning weigh in.
they were not often, but I did go out.

However, If a few beers each week is important to your life.
personally I would earn the right to enjoy them......

be strict with yourself say Sunday to Saturday morning.
weigh yourself,
then
Saturday is the free day, which includes alcohol.

and see how it goes....
maybe its a full night out each saturday,
maybe it is just 3 or 4 beers.
maybe its once every two weeks.
find the balance between enjoying alcohol while losing weight (don't let anyone tell you what you can and cant do, find out what is possible for yourself)

As a starting point I would say, you don't have to give it up.
simply earn the right 6 days a week, to enjoy it once a week......and when you have it, be sure to ENJOY IT more than ever.

Appreciate the feedback all.  I played American Football in college(I'm almost 6'4 and around 290 pounds) so I can carry weight as it were, but just for health reasons as I am getting older need to shed some pounds.  I also do not tend to drink beer that much just stick to whisky which I think may help somewhat.  I know weight loss is not a quick thing, but I have confidence I can do it.  Again, very much appreciate the feedback and tips/suggestions.

13 hours ago, The turtle said:

i had no place to hide.

it was going well.

bread for example...wow.

this year....
breakfast at 8
lunch at 12
dinner at 1600

last summer for example,

so in diet mode...

choose your weigh day.

those cravings etc.

and that is it.

jan 2016 = 21st 4
jan 2017  = 17st 8
jan 2019 14st 6

counting my calories....

Whilst this is absolutely impressive, I think its worth pointing out a couple of things here that have obviously worked for you but aren't a necessity

- You ate 3 times a day, but its perfectly OK for someone to eat 6 times a day if they prefer (in smaller quantities, obviously)
- Generally speaking, "cheat days" and having a blow out day for some people can be dangerous. It enables a negative mindset between "good food" and "bad food". No food is inherently good or bad when eaten in moderation. If someone prefers to eat half a tub of ice cream every day (that fits their calorie target for the day) then thats absolutely fine.
Again the quote "enjoying food you've earnt" whilst that's worked for you, leads to a dangerous relationship with food for some people.
- The calorie numbers here are quite low (again, if thats worked for you, absolutely brilliant not critisicing) but some people set a calorie "limit" per day, and their mindset is almost "eat as little as possible" when really it should be get as close to that number as possible. Eat as much as you can whilst staying in your deficit, as that will decrease the risk of eating too little.
1200 cals a day in lockdown is incredibly low for any male, unless they're literally sat on the sofa all day without moving (which is possible during lockdown I guess!) I dont think anyone reading this should aim for that.
- timing of meals is not really that important (scientifically anyway). You can eat all of your calories in a 2 hour window if you want - though it will be harder because you wont be able to eat as much and you'll be hungry all day. You can eat late at night, you can skip breakfast whatever works for the invididual. Just remember it's a longer term "average" as opposed to a daily thing as that's not how the body works (which you did mention). Take a look at your calorie intake over a 3/4 day or even week period - this even allows you to eat more on your exercise days and less on your rest days if you prefer.

Things I think you did get spot on that is really good advice for anyone though
- as just said above, look at it over a few days not just a day by day basis
- getting an understanding of counting what you already eat and realising how high calorie a small portion of rice is, for example
- small changes at first and aiming to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week is spot on, that is good healthy weight loss (though first couple of weeks will likely be 6-8lbs as you lose a lot of excess water weight initially)

Hope you dont mind my comments, I dont intend to critique what's worked for you, I just see a lot of the points you made as things that are generally believed by people and CAN lead to yo-yo dieting, rebounding weight gain and mental health issues in regards relationships with food. The key is a healthier lifestyle, not punishing yourself

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Whilst this is absolutely impressive, I think its worth pointing out a couple of things here that have obviously worked for you but aren't a necessity

- You ate 3 times a day, but its perfectly OK for someone to eat 6 times a day if they prefer (in smaller quantities, obviously)
- Generally speaking, "cheat days" and having a blow out day for some people can be dangerous. It enables a negative mindset between "good food" and "bad food". No food is inherently good or bad when eaten in moderation. If someone prefers to eat half a tub of ice cream every day (that fits their calorie target for the day) then thats absolutely fine.
Again the quote "enjoying food you've earnt" whilst that's worked for you, leads to a dangerous relationship with food for some people.
- The calorie numbers here are quite low (again, if thats worked for you, absolutely brilliant not critisicing) but some people set a calorie "limit" per day, and their mindset is almost "eat as little as possible" when really it should be get as close to that number as possible. Eat as much as you can whilst staying in your deficit, as that will decrease the risk of eating too little.
1200 cals a day in lockdown is incredibly low for any male, unless they're literally sat on the sofa all day without moving (which is possible during lockdown I guess!) I dont think anyone reading this should aim for that.
- timing of meals is not really that important (scientifically anyway). You can eat all of your calories in a 2 hour window if you want - though it will be harder because you wont be able to eat as much and you'll be hungry all day. You can eat late at night, you can skip breakfast whatever works for the invididual. Just remember it's a longer term "average" as opposed to a daily thing as that's not how the body works (which you did mention). Take a look at your calorie intake over a 3/4 day or even week period - this even allows you to eat more on your exercise days and less on your rest days if you prefer.

- getting an understanding of counting what you already eat and realising how high calorie a small portion of rice is, for example
- small changes at first and aiming to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week is spot on, that is good healthy weight loss (though first couple of weeks will likely be 6-8lbs as you lose a lot of excess water weight initially)

Hope you dont mind my comments, I dont intend to critique what's worked for you, I just see a lot of the points you made as things that are generally believed by people and CAN lead to yo-yo dieting, rebounding weight gain and mental health issues in regards relationships with food. The key is a healthier lifestyle, not punishing yourself

Obviously diet is important as is exercise. I like to swim and as you can see it is working for me.

Amazing-Fat-Man-Jumping-In-Pond-Funny-Image.jpg.cf.jpg

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Not at all, I think all of your points were perfectly fair enough.

I don't think I explained myself very well, I ate things in between, they were just my main meals of the day.

I totally understand what you are saying here, One of the reasons I have failed to lose weight in the past was was one cheat day, led to 2, led to 3, led to 4, which led to a week, what diet was that again??
At first I did not have cheat days at all, Simply I didn't trust myself to do so, but as I was making progress, I said to myself, Ok have one meal no limits, see how it goes, over time that turned into a day.... (at the beginning, no bread in the week just on Sunday, bread is a real weakness of mine, you can give me the best meal in the world, but if there is bread on the table it is all i can think of, so I had to change that thought process, now bread is a balanced part of my life on my terms)

But I do understand your point about mindset.
for me it was a case of having control over what I eat and when I eat it.
If my inner voice would start saying, go on, just one sweet, just one pizza....
I could turn round and say, Look you get your moment on Sunday.
I acknowledge you exist, I don't deny you
but your moment is Sunday.  
(the inner voice is the most difficult of characters, it will convince you to order just a one off pizza, then after make you feel guilty for doing so)

the cheat day was my way of changing my relationship with food, I decided what I ate on my terms. Not foods terms.
but I take everything you are saying, and would encourage everyone to find what fits them best.

I agree with your point totally about the word limit,  I saw it as more of a goal because being under doesn't help either. If i set myself a goal of 1500, to me that mean a range of 1450-1550.
I often used the phrase enjoy what I have earnt, not because of under eating, but by getting from Monday to Saturday in the way i wanted.
I have spent maybe 15 years on a diet while putting on more and more weight, And every bite was full of guilt and disgust.
So by enjoying food i have earnt , I mean to refer to hitting my objectives not under eating.
The only thing I can say Is that over the last two years, it is the first time I have truly Enjoyed food, not just Sunday, but every day, But Sunday in particular was guilt free, I truly enjoyed every single bite-

some mornings in the week for example, I would have a chocolate de napolitana, 400 calories of heaven. ha. but I knew the price, somewhere else in the day, something would be left out , a slice of bread at dinner for example, It was all about cheques and balances. 

this was at the very end of Spanish lock down which meant we were not allowed outside to exercise, supermarket and that was it.,  basically at 1350-1400 a day,  i was losing 0.3kg a week, good but by mid April, I was approaching the end of my diet, I needed a jolt, So i set myself 6 weeks of 1200-1250 to finish that phase, Long term that simply is not sustainable. but for the final burst it worked, because then it gave me an extra bit of weight loss to account for a slight bounce back.
6 weeks later, I am now up to 1800 a day. (at times, it feels like all I do is eat, but this is the next part of the story to me)

I would agree with all of this, It really does not matter, it is simply about what works for you, both body and mind.
at first I would have meals at midnight due to work, then sleep, so It felt like a waste.
so I developed a mindset.....
I would workout at the gym, including weights to boost metabolism, and as you burn 600-800 calories a night, that can either be from the food I have just eaten or from the fat my body has stored.
As a result, I was eating breakfast for the first time in my life, and waking up looking forward to it.
and then eating consistently through the day, with a snack or meal, but at 6pm I stopped, knowing by bedtime, My body was able to consume fat reserves.  (I don't know if this was 100% true, but as far as i am aware it is not wrong either, and it produced results)

It worked for me, it might not for everyone... And I think what you highlight well is that there is not secret, there is no magic wand. It is simply about what works for you, and what can you do long term. ... The mental side is just as important as the physical. 

Not all, I am far from a food and nutrition expert. I am simply someone who looked in the mirror one day and realised if I was not willing to do whatever it takes to lose weight, I would die in ten years. your additional comments will be beneficial to others I am sure. and more than welcomed by myself ? 

Lot’s of good advice on here, but I might also mention the notion of ‘tricking’ your body’s metabolism.  The sad fact is that your body will eventually adjust to any new regime, so you need to give you metabolism a boost every now and then.  I have an exercise bike and I go for a hard 30 minute spin about three times a week, which should be enough to give your metabolism a shot in the arm.  Sometimes it pays to pig out a bit one day and then hit the treadmill the next.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Lot’s of good advice on here, but I might also mention the notion of ‘tricking’ your body’s metabolism.  The sad fact is that your body will eventually adjust to any new regime, so you need to give you metabolism a boost every now and then.  I have an exercise bike and I go for a hard 30 minute spin about three times a week, which should be enough to give your metabolism a shot in the arm.  Sometimes it pays to pig out a bit one day and then hit the treadmill the next.

My metabolism felt so slow at times it went backwards, If i looked at food, i gained weight. Most definitely did not play fair.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You're looking good I must say

gettyimages-532686638-2048x2048.jpg

18 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Weight management is a more complex and individual subject than people (including many well-informed) don't quite realise. Yes, the basic equation of 'food in - exercise done = body weight' is the starting point but it needs to be seen in the broader view. Whilst 'you are what you eat' is relevant, it must be understood that the body consumes calories every second of the day. What really counts is the rate of consumption versus the body's needs. It's about what your body does with the food you give it - how your body uses it is the big variable!

In an example of a person who does little exercise and has a low metabolism, food intake must be limited to keep the weight stable. An athlete who exercises a lot will have a higher metabolism that demands more calories in order to maintain performance. It's about understanding 1) what you eat, and 2) what your body does with it. The end result tends to be a focusing on weight, although it really needs to be considered in relation to body type too.

It is a balancing act. Get it right and you should get the results you are looking for.

Quite right , there are also hormones who want to thicken your waist. 

It is important to eat food which is not ‘ fragmented ‘ ie most pre-  prepared meals, flavoured crisps, snacks etc .

Buy your ingredients and cook your proper meals , then you know what’s in them . 

You don’t have to be Jamie Oliver, thank Christ, just start off with simple stuff,pasta,  mashed potatoes, vegetables, fish,poultry or meat and build up your repertoire of recipes. It becomes easy and fun after a while and if you don’t have a lot of time during the week, cook your meals the weekend and either freeze them or keep them in the fridge to be used as you want. 

Nothing beats home cooking.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

You're looking good I must say

gettyimages-532686638-2048x2048.jpg

Is  that Rudolph ? 

16 hours ago, The turtle said:

My philosophy was/is you don't have it in the house to look at it. so no alcohol in the house. More so with chocolate and sweets too.
I picked A Sunday morning weigh in, So I couldn't go out on weekend nights. (however Saturday would also be perfectly fine, Fridsy morning I wouldn't advise as too much of a weekend ahead)
there were some extremely painful family nights where the whole room was eating pizza and socially pressuring me to do so, but i knew weigh day was in the morning, so I resisted.
as time went on, I would skip a weigh week, because I had earnt the right to enjoy a Saturday night

That also applied if I had nights out planned, I would skip that Sunday morning weigh in.
they were not often, but I did go out.

However, If a few beers each week is important to your life.
personally I would earn the right to enjoy them......

be strict with yourself say Sunday to Saturday morning.
weigh yourself,
then
Saturday is the free day, which includes alcohol.

and see how it goes....
maybe its a full night out each saturday,
maybe it is just 3 or 4 beers.
maybe its once every two weeks.
find the balance between enjoying alcohol while losing weight (don't let anyone tell you what you can and cant do, find out what is possible for yourself)

As a starting point I would say, you don't have to give it up.
simply earn the right 6 days a week, to enjoy it once a week......and when you have it, be sure to ENJOY IT more than ever.

A person’s  whole relation with food is very complex. We instinctively like sugary things , I think down to the comfort of mother’s breast milk and salty things( no idea there ! ) 

We need to wean ourselves off the obvious flavours that our brains easily recognise and search for and introduce new ones , herbs, spices and the real tastes of fresh fruit and veg .

Our palates develop as we re-educate them and give a huge variety of wonderful flavours when we dare to try new ones.

Food is like art or music , we can all enjoy a good ‘ stomp ‘ from time to time but if that’s all there is we lose interest pretty quickly . Feed your curiosity and the rewards are there. 

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A person’s  whole relation with food is very complex. We instinctively like sugary things , I think down to the comfort of mother’s breast milk and salty things( no idea there ! ) 

We need to wean ourselves off the obvious flavours that our brains easily recognise and search for and introduce new ones , herbs, spices and the real tastes of fresh fruit and veg .

Our palates develop as we re-educate them and give a huge variety of wonderful flavours when we dare to try new ones.

Food is like art or music , we can all enjoy a good ‘ stomp ‘ from time to time but if that’s all there is we lose interest pretty quickly . Feed your curiosity and the rewards are there. 

I stick mostly to fruit juice

boxed-wine.jpg.cf.jpg

52 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite right , there are also hormones who want to thicken your waist. 

It is important to eat food which is not ‘ fragmented ‘ ie most pre-  prepared meals, flavoured crisps, snacks etc .

Buy your ingredients and cook your proper meals , then you know what’s in them . 

You don’t have to be Jamie Oliver, thank Christ, just start off with simple stuff,pasta,  mashed potatoes, vegetables, fish,poultry or meat and build up your repertoire of recipes. It becomes easy and fun after a while and if you don’t have a lot of time during the week, cook your meals the weekend and either freeze them or keep them in the fridge to be used as you want. 

Nothing beats home cooking.

Must say there isn't an ounce on you You Maj

Funny-Skinny-Old-Man-Image.jpg.cf.jpg

As many have said calorie counting.. but to help with that go and buy a load of those zip lock freezer bags. Then cube up your meat portions weigh them. Bag em up freeze them. You know immediately then close enough your meat calorie intake. You can do this for most things. Chop weigh bag then cook. It stops you having to think about the portion when preparing, its done. Even better if you freeze it get the portion out to defrost, good luck wanting a bigger portion you have to defrost the bugger first!

Do not over exercise,  the worst thing you can do is fatigue yourself, leading to injury and then no exercise and weight gain 

Buy a programme from someone who has been to uni and studied science nutrition, or someone who knows how to count macros and help you enjoy the foods you eat while still losing weight.

I'm on a reverse carb cycle and currently up to 4200 calories on my low carb days as maintenance. 4600 on high carb days. 

Archived