IGNORED

Tony Thorpe interview: "We should have got promotion. The players let the club down"

The Exiled Robin

I spoke to former City striker Tony Thorpe to find out more about his time with us and his career.

He spoke about the various managers he played under, including Tony Pulis and Danny Wilson, as well as extensively about the players he played with and why they didn't quite make it back to the Championship.

Shares/thoughts etc welcome as always - thank you :) 

Link here: http://theexiledrobin.org/2020/07/tonythorpe-exclusive/

Good interview, but how can he possibly say that his headed goal against the Gas in 2000 was not one if his greatest goals.  It’s my favourite City goal of all time!

Also good to see him acknowledge just how good that squad was, but I don’t absolve Danny Wilson from blame.  He had four seasons to get us up with a team that was good enough to win the League One title every year, and the best we could do was a single miserable play-off final defeat to Brighton.  Shameful.

Great read, thank you very much! 

Two Thorpe moments especially stick out for me - of course (H) to the blue few - everything about that goal was superb, but also that hat trick (A) Northampton - was it the first game of the season? 

And I agree with him about the talent in that team - especially with mickey and tins bombing down the left, and Scotty down the right with Louis behind him at that time. And then when tins moved into the middle...I could watch him ping diagonal balls out to Scotty all day long! 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Problem was Wilson living in Chesterfield and many of his side enjoying the social delights of Bristol without any player or person from the club putting a stop to it

Spot on. There was a distinct drinking culture. Wouldn't really be right to name names at this distance in time, but many of us on OTIB will know who at least some of the worst offenders were - indeed, news of their behaviour was in the public domain at one stage, with significant media coverage. Wilson failed to take sufficient action to stamp it out. Only he knows why: it can hardly have escaped him, what was going on under his nose. It must have impacted on team spirit and discipline. You wonder if some individuals now look back and regret peeing their career opportunities up the wall (quite literally in some cases.) One can think of several who were particularly talented and could have done so much more with that talent, but effectively wasted it. 

2 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

I spoke to former City striker Tony Thorpe to find out more about his time with us and his career.

He spoke about the various managers he played under, including Tony Pulis and Danny Wilson, as well as extensively about the players he played with and why they didn't quite make it back to the Championship.

Shares/thoughts etc welcome as always - thank you :) 

Link here: http://theexiledrobin.org/2020/07/tonythorpe-exclusive/

Really enjoyed the read...and the link to the Rovers highlights!

What a team that was...inexplicable how they didn't achieve more.

Thanks.

I completely agree with him that that team should have done better. We had some great players and some of our football was superb......but equally there was a soft underbelly to the team and too many games (especially away) when the players didn’t seem up for it. 

20 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Spot on. There was a distinct drinking culture. Wouldn't really be right to name names at this distance in time, but many of us on OTIB will know who at least some of the worst offenders were - indeed, news of their behaviour was in the public domain at one stage, with significant media coverage. Wilson failed to take sufficient action to stamp it out. Only he knows why: it can hardly have escaped him, what was going on under his nose. It must have impacted on team spirit and discipline. You wonder if some individuals now look back and regret peeing their career opportunities up the wall (quite literally in some cases.) One can think of several who were particularly talented and could have done so much more with that talent, but effectively wasted it. 

I recall around that time being in the Lounge in North Street one afternoon, when three well-known regular first team players strolled in and ordered pints of lager. One produced a packet of Marlboro and asked me for a light.

I obliged him with a lighter and a knowing grin which he acknowledged - they were not remotely bothered about keeping their lifestyle a secret.

It doesn't seem very long ago, and maybe it wasn't a big deal but the very idea of these events playing out now would be unthinkable.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Louis carey, was about 3 tables from me in raj bari, about 2006.

Looked like he ordered a phall to me, brave call that.

Funny, I was in the Brunel Raj in Clifton when he was in there having a curry.

On 16/07/2020 at 13:36, Red Exile said:

Really enjoyed the read...and the link to the Rovers highlights!

What a team that was...inexplicable how they didn't achieve more.

Thanks.

Think the quote below answers this. When the going got tough they were pretty gutless & no one epitomised this more than Thorpe, always likely to get goals (especially at home) if we were 2 or 3 up in League One, but never achieved anything at Championship level in his whole career.

Wilson’s complete inability to tackle the drinking culture was shameful, GJ certainly knew it was his biggest challenge on taking up post & no shock he made us successful quickly once he did.

6 hours ago, Offside said:

I completely agree with him that that team should have done better. We had some great players and some of our football was superb......but equally there was a soft underbelly to the team and too many games (especially away) when the players didn’t seem up for it. 

On 16/07/2020 at 11:35, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good interview, but how can he possibly say that his headed goal against the Gas in 2000 was not one if his greatest goals.  It’s my favourite City goal of all time!

Also good to see him acknowledge just how good that squad was, but I don’t absolve Danny Wilson from blame.  He had four seasons to get us up with a team that was good enough to win the League One title every year, and the best we could do was a single miserable play-off final defeat to Brighton.  Shameful.

so, so true! Wilson was a massive under achiever with us.

On 16/07/2020 at 13:08, CliftonCliff said:

Just read Christian Roberts’s autobiography for more information about this period and the drinking culture.  Absolutely incredible some of the things he describes.

Archived