IGNORED

Tony Thorpe interview: "We should have got promotion. The players let the club down"

The Exiled Robin

On 16/07/2020 at 13:08, CliftonCliff said:

Spot on. There was a distinct drinking culture. Wouldn't really be right to name names at this distance in time, but many of us on OTIB will know who at least some of the worst offenders were - indeed, news of their behaviour was in the public domain at one stage, with significant media coverage. Wilson failed to take sufficient action to stamp it out. Only he knows why: it can hardly have escaped him, what was going on under his nose. It must have impacted on team spirit and discipline. You wonder if some individuals now look back and regret peeing their career opportunities up the wall (quite literally in some cases.) One can think of several who were particularly talented and could have done so much more with that talent, but effectively wasted it. 

I bet Lee Peacock was one of them!

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just read Christian Roberts’s autobiography for more information about this period and the drinking culture.  Absolutely incredible some of the things he describes.

Wouldn’t mind reading that. Any idea where I’d get hold of a copy? (Bit of a minority interest choice - unlikely to be found in the Best Sellers section at Waterstones.)

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just read Christian Roberts’s autobiography for more information about this period and the drinking culture.  Absolutely incredible some of the things he describes.

Roberts was a great player for us too and was wondering if he mentions his time a Swindon when he went into rehab when Andŷ King looked after him

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Wouldn’t mind reading that. Any idea where I’d get hold of a copy? (Bit of a minority interest choice - unlikely to be found in the Best Sellers section at Waterstones.)

Got mine from Amazon, good read

Archived