IGNORED

Villa result

TonyTonyTony

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If there is ever a legal case brought by any club to try and avoid relegation due to a referees decision going against them (Wigan and Sheffield Weds is different) that’s me done with professional football tbh. Think your hatred for Villa may be clouding your judgement?

Ha that and a few beers for first time since lockdown may have pushed things a little! 

I do see grounds for at least exploration of a case however, it was such a unique and odd error that could cost a club very very dear. Surely this kind of technology was brought in to prevent such disastrous errors. Wasn't the referee at fault as such, was the technology itself not working!!

Seem to remember talk of LJ doing a presentation ahead of this season to the board saying there was a real opportunity to go for it as a weakened championship...  can’t remember exactly where that was posted, hence the backing in the transfer market this season. If Villa stay up, with Leeds going up too, you’d have to think it’s a great opportunity for the season ahead on paper as others have said. Hate aside Villa down would be lovely but they would be right up there again with top players.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha that and a few beers for first time since lockdown may have pushed things a little! 

I do see grounds for at least exploration of a case however, it was such a unique and odd error that could cost a club very very dear. Surely this kind of technology was brought in to prevent such disastrous errors. Wasn't the referee at fault as such, was the technology itself not working!!

I believe it was literally a "glich" in the technology. The ball ended up in the only place, relative to the position of the keeper, where the technology would not pick it up? However, the referee should have at least given it a second thought and the reaction of the Sheffield United players should have told him that something may have been amiss and therefore the incident should have been referred to VAR. Not only that but what the hell was the VAR official doing given that everybody watching the game knew of the error within seconds of it occurring?

However, notwithstanding all of the above and the horrendous potential implications and the fact that it's Aston Villa who will potentially benefit at the expense of Watford, I do not believe the game will be served well by retrospective lawsuits being brought. The practicalities are a minefield...........do you delay starting a season until the lawsuit has been heard, then the appeal and then the final appeal?

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I believe it was literally a "glich" in the technology. The ball ended up in the only place, relative to the position of the keeper, where the technology would not pick it up? However, the referee should have at least given it a second thought and the reaction of the Sheffield United players should have told him that something may have been amiss and therefore the incident should have been referred to VAR. Not only that but what the hell was the VAR official doing given that everybody watching the game knew of the error within seconds of it occurring?

However, notwithstanding all of the above and the horrendous potential implications and the fact that it's Aston Villa who will potentially benefit at the expense of Watford, I do not believe the game will be served well by retrospective lawsuits being brought. The practicalities are a minefield...........do you delay starting a season until the lawsuit has been heard, then the appeal and then the final appeal?

May or may not be served well- maybe you're right on balance.

Expedite the process, through Arbitration- though this seems to take longer than hoped or expected, and Covid would add further time still.

If level on GD though, I would be surprised if there are not grounds for exploration of legal action. With a far shorter gap between seasons necessary due to Covid 19 though it likely would be a bad thing.

On a general note, Aston Villa.

As I recall we paid them a Baker installment earlier or sped it up due to cash flow.

Really wish we hadn't- if that meant admin so be it- nothing's too good for that club...

I still hope they drop, owners treble the rent then sell the stadium- mega Primark with Car Park would do nicely. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I thought it was just a delay. Ref (Oliver???) got the goal “text” in the dressing room at h-t.

Why didn’t Dean Smith allow Utd to walk the ball in at the start of the second half like Bielsa did?  Because he’s a whining hypocrite. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought it was just a delay. Ref (Oliver???) got the goal “text” in the dressing room at h-t.

Why didn’t Dean Smith allow Utd to walk the ball in at the start of the second half like Bielsa did?  Because he’s a whining hypocrite. 

Getting the text at HT- I think if it proves decisive, there WOULD be scope for legal remedies. Less likely with Sheffield United but is it still possible for them to reach Europa League or get to within a point of it anyway? (Unsure GD a big factor for them).

He sure is.

Leeds and Bielsa did- sense of entitlement amongst Smith, their fanbase, Purslow- god! Smith a moaning hypocrite as you rightly state.

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If that's the case, relegated clubs have to go legal. Such an exceptional event is farcical.

Just got in within last half hour but had a horrible feeling Aston Villa won even before checking the scores.

I feared the cheers for the drop were too soon! Watford sacking Pearson imploded, Bournemouth late, late disallowed goal vs Southampton at 1-0, lose 2-0 even later. 

God I hate the *******. Spawny doesn't do it justice!

We definitely got away with that in Sheffield, no doubt about it. But I'm pretty sure there's some clauses that there can't be any legal ramifications for mistakes on the pitch. 

If there were, the box would get opened and every club would be able to pursue litigation. Where would it stop?

2 hours ago, visitingholte said:

We definitely got away with that in Sheffield, no doubt about it. But I'm pretty sure there's some clauses that there can't be any legal ramifications for mistakes on the pitch. 

If there were, the box would get opened and every club would be able to pursue litigation. Where would it stop?

That's fair. 

If clauses exist then that settles it, but it just seems catastrophic for a 1/10,000 error if it plays out that way, to settle a relegation battle.

I think Aston Villa stay up now fwiw.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's fair. 

If clauses exist then that settles it, but it just seems catastrophic for a 1/10,000 error if it plays out that way, to settle a relegation battle.

I think Aston Villa stay up now fwiw.

I completely agree with that, and it would seem pretty unlikely that there wouldn't be a clause with that. 

Again, I'd say that it is an error, but there have been plenty of errors this year from refs/var that have cost us points (like every team except Manchester United it seems). If there were to be a legal battle over that, then I'd assume we would launch one over the Fernandes penalty (which the PL already admitted was an error) and the Palace game from earlier in the season. Again, I think it would be extremely unlikely, but who knows at this point. 

I think we will stay up as well, but still fearing the worst. But with Leeds & WBA getting promoted, I wouldn't be surprised to see us challenging for the title should we go down. 

Archived