IGNORED

BRENTFORD

77 punk

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did Austin start tonight?

Robson-Kanu was excellent earlier tonight this season, very good at keeping hold of the ball, and getting Diangana and Pereira on the ball high up the pitch.

Austin is past it.

6 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Great little club and always a good away day and with their new stadium could be a decent hard to beat side in the Premiership. Also their scouting network must be really good if their able to spot/attract players the bigger teams lie yourself are missing out on 

Great little club. Bigger than Swindon though .  ;)

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

After 16 years outside the premier league I wouldn’t mind Leeds getting back up there - they even dropped to the third tier for a few seasons and they have done it the hard way going through loads of managers - but their phenomenal fan base has stuck with them - they may be annoying and a tad arrogant, but Leeds’ following is huge and loyal ...

Is it that loyal? Down to around 20k a few years back then they’ve all come rushing back now they’re winning. 

When times are good their fan base is unbelievable I agree, but not sure if it’s that loyal

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I know what you mean. But the point the OP was hinting at was that Brentford beating us to the PL highlights - if we didn't know already - what an underachieving shower we've been, for longer than we care to remember. 

Agree 100%

15 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Is it that loyal? Down to around 20k a few years back then they’ve all come rushing back now they’re winning. 

When times are good their fan base is unbelievable I agree, but not sure if it’s that loyal

1994 Chelsea v Swindon in the premier league at Stamford bridge att 11,500 before the Russian tycoon arrived 

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I know what you mean. But the point the OP was hinting at was that Brentford beating us to the PL highlights - if we didn't know already - what an underachieving shower we've been, for longer than we care to remember. 

Having watched Leeds and potentially Brentford go up playing front foot attacking football, we need to go and recruit a head coach to bring that to Ashton Gate.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Agree 100%

Brentford, based on clubs size/budget have been punching above their weight for a while - and all credit to them.

Given where we stand, crowd, budget etc.. we should be about tenth(ish) - I believe.

So yes, Brentford do highlight that we have/are underachieving; compared to them.

Equally, we are over achieving compared to say, Sunderland.

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep...a few years back I recall travelling to a match at their place with a few of their fans and they were broke and down and out. Whilst I wish him well in the selection of our next manager what an indictment of Lansdown's failure this is. Overtaken by Brentford!

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Brentford, based on clubs size/budget have been punching above their weight for a while - and all credit to them.

Given where we stand, crowd, budget etc.. we should be about tenth(ish) - I believe.

So yes, Brentford do highlight that we have/are underachieving; compared to them.

We haven’t overachieved compared to Sunderland if you factor in their many seasons in the Premier League rather than current league status 

17 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Absolutely fuming that a club like Brentford will get to the Premier League before us. Then move into a new stadium and kick on from there. Yet another reason if one were needed for us to appoint a top manager next week.

If Brentford do go up; I believe they become the Premier League’s 50 th club.

So out of 92 professional clubs, 50 will have been in the PL at some time since it was formed. Bristol City will have to aim for 51 st.

Some clubs who got there before 50 :

Barnsley, Blackpool, Burnley, Cardiff, Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford, Oldham, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bradford & of course Swindle

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

So out of 92 professional clubs, 50 will have been in the PL at some time since it was formed. Bristol City will have to aim for 51 st.

Barnsley, Blackpool, Burnley, Cardiff, Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford, Oldham, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bradford.

Also Stoke, QPR, Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Hull etc etc etc etc etc etc etc 

The point for me is that LJ was always complaining that it was almost impossible to compete with the parachute payment clubs and by implication that top 8-10 was a really strong showing by him because of that.

Brentford have shown that with a talented coach, good recruitment from lower leagues and value from European leagues it can be done.

We have aspired to that model but coaching and recruitment haven't been at their level.

Good luck to them ?

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sorry Rob, you;re wrong.

We aren't over achieving compared to Sunderland - they're under achieving compared to us.

Whilst Lansdown has over complicated how to move forward, Brentford have concentrated on the essentials:

If you: (1) appoint the right manager, and (2) get your player recruitment more right than wrong (no-one has ever got it 100% right) - your team will move upwards and onwards.

Our success rate - under Lansdown, and historically - has not been good enough. Brentford's - in the last few years - has been significantly better.

10 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Barnsley, Blackpool, Burnley, Cardiff, Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford, Oldham, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bradford & of course Swindle

I thought you had forgotten!

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sorry Rob, you;re wrong.

We aren't over achieving compared to Sunderland - they're under achieving compared to us.

Whilst Lansdown has over complicated how to move forward, Brentford have concentrated on the essentials:

If you: (1) appoint the right manager, and (2) get your player recruitment more right than wrong (no-one has ever got it 100% right) - your team will move upwards and onwards.

Our success rate - under Lansdown, and historically - has not been good enough. Brentford's - in the last few years - has been significantly better.

You make a fair point, and I'm deliberately taking the role of devils advocate.

End of the day, every season only 3 clubs have a measurably successful one, in a division that we all know has a playing field that is far from level.

It is somewhat more painful watching a Brentford doing well, compared to, say, a Norwich as they (Brentford) operate in a similar way to us. 

But we were improving (until this season).

45 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I can remember!

Four years in the top tier, First Division or Premier whichever you call it, in the seventy, yes 70 years, that I have been supporting BCFC.

And in the last forty years since we dropped like a stone from First to Fourth, I've dreamed of our return.

While almost every other club in the 92 have been there except us!

Brentford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Blackpool... they can all go up, but they’ll never stay longer than a few years. They just don’t have the long-term population or support.

When we go up (and we will, one day) we have a chance to establish ourselves long-term. Truly, if we weren’t such an underachieving side/city, we could be pushing for Europe.

If Brentford go up, congratulations. This is their time. Ours is still to come.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You make a fair point, and I'm deliberately taking the role of devils advocate.

End of the day, every season only 3 clubs have a measurably successful one, in a division that we all know has a playing field that is far from level.

It is somewhat more painful watching a Brentford doing well, compared to, say, a Norwich as they (Brentford) operate in a similar way to us. 

But we were improving (until this season).

All out of Likes for today - agree with all you say  here ? 

Archived