IGNORED

BRENTFORD

77 punk

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Is it that loyal? Down to around 20k a few years back then they’ve all come rushing back now they’re winning. 

When times are good their fan base is unbelievable I agree, but not sure if it’s that loyal

The last time Leeds United had a season where they had an average home crowd under 21k was 1987 - 33 years ago ... their average has regularly gone up to 38k, 39k since then ... you say “a few years back” - I’ll assume that means three - in 2017 their average home crowd was 27k then it increased in 2018 to 31k and in 2019 it was 34k ... Leeds United has got a loyal fan base ...

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The last time Leeds United had a season where they had an average home crowd under 21k was 1987 - 33 years ago ... their average has regularly gone up to 38k, 39k since then ... you say “a few years back” - I’ll assume that means three - in 2017 their average home crowd was 27k then it increased in 2018 to 31k and in 2019 it was 34k ... Leeds United has got a loyal fan base ...

And around 2012/13 their crowds dropped below 20k on occasion. As I said, when things are going well they have fantastic support, but let’s not pretend that they’ve been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years. 

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And around 2012/13 their crowds dropped below 20k on occasion. As I said, when things are going well they have fantastic support, but let’s not pretend that they’ve been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years. 

Forget"loyal" JB. They're one of the biggest clubs in England. Period.

Them not being in the Championship makes our life significantly more comfortable: Leeds and West Brom up (possibly) - Norwich and Bournemouth down (possibly) ?

Bring it on. 

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Them not being in the Championship makes our life significantly more comfortable: Leeds and West Brom up (possibly) - Norwich and Bournemouth down (possibly) ?

Bring it on. 

Comfortably one of the biggest clubs in the country, and I agree that them, Brentford and West Brom/Fulham going up will help us. 

Will be interesting to see if Norwich ‘do a Burnley’ and bounce back up or if they’ll find themselves struggling a la Stoke or Huddersfield 

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I didn’t “pretend that they’ve been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years” - for a start most teams play at home every other week and my reply to you stated that Leeds averaged 27k at home games in 2017 - 27k is less than 30k so I obviously wasn’t “pretending they have been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years” - Leeds United haven’t averaged less than 21k at home games in a season since 1987 - 33 years ago - that’s a fact, you were, well, just wrong ...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I didn’t “pretend that they’ve been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years” - for a start most teams play at home every other week and my reply to you stated that Leeds averaged 27k at home games in 2017 - 27k is less than 30k so I obviously wasn’t “pretending they have been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years” - Leeds United haven’t averaged less than 21k at home games in a season since 1987 - 33 years ago - that’s a fact, you were, well, just wrong ...

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Not disputing they’re  massive club with a massive following, would just argue that the loyalty that is claimed their fans have isn’t exactly true, as shown by the 17000 fan swing over the last 8 years, that doesn’t mean they aren’t followed by a superb support though

3 hours ago, Hare Island said:

We haven’t overachieved compared to Sunderland if you factor in their many seasons in the Premier League rather than current league status 

Exactly this. 
Actually.... And this is a genuine question.... over the last 40 years, based on location, support, investment is there a bigger underachiever in English football than Bristol City?? 

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Exactly this. 
Actually.... And this is a genuine question.... over the last 40 years, based on location, support, investment is there a bigger underachiever in English football than Bristol City?? 

Plymuff? 

Our recent funding has been on another level though. Critical now for Lansdown to realise that investment with promotion.  

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Exactly this. 

Looking back at all the teams we played regularly in the Wilson era who have had time in the Prem:

Reading

Hull 

Swansea

Cardiff

Bournemouth

Stoke 

Wigan

QPR 

Looks like Brentford will be next. Massively jealous but don’t begrudge them it in the slightest. No parachute payments, play good football, great recruitment model. Something we should aspire to

5 hours ago, greengrass said:

I wonder what Dean Smith thinks of it all!

Looks like Villa for the drop & Brentford for the Prem.

5 hours ago, Lez said:

Dean Smith is heavily over rated.

I've had for about a year, maybe longer- and not just because Aston Villa are getting much worse results in the League above- Frank as better than Smith.

Team seems to have a better structure to it- as well as the great football. Smith's side- hell even his Aston Villa last year, with all the resources he had, they played some great stuff...but you could get at them!

Suffice to say, I hope Brentford go up- a point at Stoke and it's theirs to lose, because a home win vs possibly relegated Barnsley should be achievable- WBA would need to win at least 15-0!

5 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

And Bournemouth & Burnley 

All credit to both but it's worth noting...

First one cheated FFP (don't get me started :laughcont: )

Second one, all credit to- and did it right. They sort of just hit the crest of a wave in 2008-09, combining run to the semi finals of Carling Cup, beating and competing with varied Pl sides (sounds familiar!!) with playoff charge under Coyle. Win playoffs and parachute payments and frugal management- Burnley are a frugal club- this can enable a club like that to balance ambition and solvency. Up-down, up- parachute payments often, and when they get it right they kick on from there!

Had we beaten Hull, could've been us. Similar capacity, revenue at that time. Had we capitalised on our Cup run in 2017-18, would've stood us in excellent stead for playoffs- again who can say we may not have done a Burnley that season.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've had for about a year, maybe longer- and not just because Aston Villa are getting much worse results in the League above- Frank as better than Smith.

Team seems to have a better structure to it- as well as the great football. Smith's side- hell even his Aston Villa last year, with all the resources he had, they played some great stuff...but you could get at them!

Suffice to say, I hope Brentford go up- a point at Stoke and it's theirs to lose, because a home win vs possibly relegated Barnsley should be achievable- WBA would need to win at least 15-0!

I said in another post earlier in the week that Frank has sold a number of his best players, but importantly replaced their weaknesses under Smith....at CB.  I’m not saying their CBs were bad (Konsa went to Villa), but he brought in Jansson and Pinnock.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I said in another post earlier in the week that Frank has sold a number of his best players, but importantly replaced their weaknesses under Smith....at CB.  I’m not saying their CBs were bad (Konsa went to Villa), but he brought in Jansson and Pinnock.

They've got the second best defensive record in the division. Everyone raves about their goal scoring but something is going seriously right defensively.

Remember we beat Brentford away when we were in leauge one. They have alway played good football when I watched then. Like their Club and hope they will be in pl next season. If Brentford makes it they made in their own way, thinking of Aston Villa and their economy. Prefer the way Brentford have done.

6 hours ago, Dredd said:

Looking back at all the teams we played regularly in the Wilson era who have had time in the Prem:

Reading

Hull 

Swansea

Cardiff

Bournemouth

Stoke 

Wigan

QPR 

Looks like Brentford will be next. Massively jealous but don’t begrudge them it in the slightest. No parachute payments, play good football, great recruitment model. Something we should aspire to

That's a good list, but I wanted to make myself even more miserable when contemplating Brentford's rise in comparison to ours, so I began to make a list of clubs that have been in the Fourth Division or L2 below us since 92/93 and have gone on to play in the Premier League:

Fulham

Wigan

Swansea

Cardiff 

Bournemuff 

Hull

Brighton

(Weeping slightly now, as I go on)

Blackpool

Huddersfield 

(There might be more, I'm not sure. But this is as far as I got and it's done the trick: I feel bloody miserable).

If Brentford make it, they will be another for this list. They were in the basement as recently as 2009. How depressing is that?

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That's a good list, but I wanted to make myself even more miserable when contemplating Brentford's rise in comparison to ours, so I began to make a list of clubs that have been in the Fourth Division or L2 below us since 92/93 and have gone on to play in the Premier League:

Fulham

Wigan

Swansea

Cardiff 

Bournemuff 

Hull

Brighton

(Weeping slightly now, as I go on)

Blackpool

Huddersfield 

(There might be more, I'm not sure. But this is as far as I got and it's done the trick: I feel bloody miserable).

If Brentford make it, they will be another for this list. They were in the basement as recently as 2009. How depressing is that?

Its a sad indictment about how bristol city have been run. The infrastructure might have been built up, but half those clubs have had new stadiums too. Lansdown has spent a fortune, but tor what?

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Cheers and it make sure you wonder where all the Home Counties Chelsea fans had vanished to in the early 90's

The modernisation of Stamford Bridge was underway at that time, in fairness to them, at least one end was not being used, although their average was about 19k that season so not a big turn out for the visit of Swindon Town ....

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Its a sad indictment about how bristol city have been run. The infrastructure might have been built up, but half those clubs have had new stadiums too. Lansdown has spent a fortune, but tor what?

To make us a pretty solid Championship club, which is not to be sniffed at for us, with our meagre history. The Championship is a tough and uneven level of competition nowadays, so it is no mean feat for us to be grumbling about not going up rather than whining about going down.

If SL can steer us from what we are now to a club that bobs between this division and the Prem then that will be quite something, for us, I would say.

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bring it on. 

Hang on , this division was one of the most wide open mediocre standard that I’ve witnessed for years and we still managed to cock it up .

We only had to be average to cement a playoff place and fell way below it so it matters little that Leeds , West Brom leave the Championship ‘ club ‘ . 

We have the talent we all know we just need the right coach and we can match anyone.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But I thought bringing in a proven Manager guaranteed promotion? ? I have been reading that on here for two weeks, so it must be true surely?

Has anyone really said ‘ guaranteed ‘ ?

I have mainly seen posts saying that it would boost our chances to have a proven coach . 

Brentford are everything we aren't. Consistent quality in recruitment of both players and Managers. And not breaking the bank to do it. New ground on the way as well. So much we could learn from how they do it. I hope they make it this season. They deserve it.

Archived