IGNORED

BRENTFORD

77 punk

9 hours ago, JBFC II said:

And around 2012/13 their crowds dropped below 20k on occasion. As I said, when things are going well they have fantastic support, but let’s not pretend that they’ve been getting crowds of 30k plus every week for the last 30 years. 

And every other club keeps their attendance's up all the time?

We have a good number fan base but it is not immune against bad performances. We dropped from 25,000/30,000 to 4,000 between 1978 and 1982!

Neither is any club when bad times come. I'm not a lover of Leeds but their support has held up extremely well during almost two decades of poor results when compared with their last First Division title in 1992 (?)

13 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Brentford are everything we aren't. Consistent quality in recruitment of both players and Managers. And not breaking the bank to do it. New ground on the way as well. So much we could learn from how they do it. I hope they make it this season. They deserve it.

This isn't a dig at you, more an observation on the last two pages.

Seems we should have recruited better by buying cheaper players and thus not breaking the bank, but equally we should have spent more as it is what you need to do to build a competitive squad.

An experienced manager is essential, except where it isn't and our least experienced manager was the one who established us as top half championship side, but he should have ever been appointed because of his lack of experience. The solution to this seems to spending both more and less (at the same time) on someone else.

Bristol should be moved, either closer to London, or the North. But it is definitely in the wrong place, as no South West teams have done anything. (This is borderline #Gaslogic)

Now, I'll reread the thread and see what else I've missed! 

Some of you do seem to think running a football club is easy.

40 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

To make us a pretty solid Championship club, which is not to be sniffed at for us, with our meagre history. The Championship is a tough and uneven level of competition nowadays, so it is no mean feat for us to be grumbling about not going up rather than whining about going down.

If SL can steer us from what we are now to a club that bobs between this division and the Prem then that will be quite something, for us, I would say.

Its cost lansdown 100 million quid to make us a mid table championship club, the money is insane.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

This isn't a dig at you, more an observation on the last two pages.

Seems we should have recruited better by buying cheaper players and thus not breaking the bank, but equally we should have spent more as it is what you need to do to build a competitive squad.

An experienced manager is essential, except where it isn't and our least experienced manager was the one who established us as top half championship side, but he should have ever been appointed because of his lack of experience. The solution to this seems to spending both more and less (at the same time) on someone else.

Bristol should be moved, either closer to London, or the North. But it is definitely in the wrong place, as no South West teams have done anything. (This is borderline #Gaslogic)

Now, I'll reread the thread and see what else I've missed! 

Some of you do seem to think running a football club is easy.

hmmm...I'm not sure I read much more than frustration in this thread - and good wishes to Brentford who are a well run club, and indeed good wishes and a bit jealousy towards a succession of well run clubs who have overtaken City in that 40 year search for a return to the top flight. I share that frustration, those 40 years are my entire adult life.

Steve Lansdown became our Chairman in October 2002. It's been his show for 18 years now. For all his money, for all his 'projects', he's not been a success when it comes to on-pitch success when judged against others facing the same challenges at Burnley, Hull, Swansea etc etc.

I don't think running a football club is easy. The evidence suggests that Steve doesn't either. 

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Its a sad indictment about how bristol city have been run. The infrastructure might have been built up, but half those clubs have had new stadiums too. Lansdown has spent a fortune, but tor what?

I guess in the past Reading would be a good benchmark for you guys as they've been in the Premiership a couple of times although things don't appear to be very stable there at the moment 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

And every other club keeps their attendance's up all the time?

We have a good number fan base but it is not immune against bad performances. We dropped from 25,000/30,000 to 4,000 between 1978 and 1982!

Neither is any club when bad times come. I'm not a lover of Leeds but their support has held up extremely well during almost two decades of poor results when compared with their last First Division title in 1992 (?)

No they don’t, that’s true. Their support isn’t as loyal as it’s  made out to be though in my opinion, the change in numbers of the last 10 years highlights that

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

No they don’t, that’s true. Their support isn’t as loyal as it’s  made out to be though in my opinion, the change in numbers of the last 10 years highlights that

Also like most of the big clubs their fanbase is national so will always give them an advantage as for many it's  way of life to travel all over the country even if they are not doing well 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Has anyone really said ‘ guaranteed ‘ ?

I have mainly seen posts saying that it would boost our chances to have a proven coach . 

I put the word guaranteed in italics because it is inferred not stated, the point being all those who talk about Hughton being a no brainer would be tearing their hair out if we brought over a relatively unknown Danish bloke. They would also be equally miffed if we promoted Dean Holden into the role, even though he has, like Frank, had a small taste of Management and then spent a period of time working as an assistant within the same club and would provide the continuity that Brentford have created.
No doubt those who want Brentford’s babies will be saying “ah well it worked there, but that was amazing Brentford the club that can do no wrong, it would be a disaster at terrible Bristol City”

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No doubt those who want Brentford’s babies will be saying “ah well it worked there, but that was amazing Brentford the club that can do no wrong, it would be a disaster at terrible Bristol City”

...another thing which literally nobody has said...

1 hour ago, Super said:

I do like Brentford but surely it would be better for us if they dont go up? I expect top players would leave in the summer. 

I'd go along with that. I get the sense of now or never with Brentford. If they don't make it, losing in the playoffs will be a massive blow to confidence going into next season so quickly. I'd expect their front 3 to all be off to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

I'd go along with that. I get the sense of now or never with Brentford. If they don't make it, losing in the playoffs will be a massive blow to confidence going into next season so quickly. I'd expect their front 3 to all be off to be honest. 

Agreed - will be a big ask for Brentford to go again next season when many of their big players will be leaving.

2 hours ago, Super said:

I do like Brentford but surely it would be better for us if they dont go up? I expect top players would leave in the summer. 

They have lost their best players every season, so no, they will built and go again, that is their model, they recruit incredibly well. Frank has made them into a side that can defend so they can probably deal with losing one or two of the front 3 as long as they replace with decent quality. 

I would expect them to be very strong next season if they don't go up. 

Think best for us is if Brentford and then one of WBA and Fulham go up. 

Villa will be a mess and will ahveto have a firesale to cover their losses, as Grealish will leave, Norwich will be strong and Bournemouth could be a mess as well. 

The next few weeks is absolutely massive for us, as next year's Championship could well be weaker than this year's. 

Going to tune in to watch them now. 

Was going through their top goal scorers on bbc. Think it is all competitions but their front 3 has 57 goals.

Checked ours and our entire team has 60. Out of those 60, 11 were from defenders. 

Our top scorers are fam and weimann with 22 between them. Our next 3 all have January in common. Paterson has 6 goals which is an impressive haul for half a season since he was recalled in January. Wells with 5 who arrived in January and Brownhill with 5 who left in January. 

Thought it was all quite interesting. Shows how brilliant Brentford are. Shows how poor we have been as an attacking side. 

12 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Biggest game in their history & they have shown a real lack of bottle when it matters most. Football can be a strange game & the Championship the strangest league in the world. 

Completely bottled that.

Zero urgency and I thought they moved it far too slow today. Most unlike them. Pressure got to them. They have blown it now.

Archived