Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

Would be a travesty for Brentford to end up in the play off and lose to Cardiff 11 points behind them and a GD swing of -36 on Brentford . My Son just came up with a great shout . 1 extra point awarded at the end of the season for each block of +10 GD you end up on . Much like Rugby’s bonus points for try’s scored . At plus 43 The Bees would get 4 extra points to award their attacking football compared to WBA’s 3 seeing the Bees go up ! Would be a great way to reward attacking football and would stop sides killing the game when 2-0 up for example . Won’t happen but would be a great idea in my view . 

Edited by Baldyman
Additional text
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Would be a travesty for Brentford to end up in the play off and lose to Cardiff 11 points behind them and a GD swing of -36 on Brentford . My Son just came up with a great shout . 1 extra point awarded at the end of the season for each block of +10 GD you end up on . At plus 43 The Bees would get 4 extra points to award their attacking football compared to WBA’s 3 seeing the Bees go up ! Would be a great way to reward attacking football and would stop sides killing the game when 2-0 up for example . Won’t happen but would be a great idea in my view . 

Or........ the top 3 go up! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2020 at 22:52, JBFC II said:

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Not disputing they’re  massive club with a massive following, would just argue that the loyalty that is claimed their fans have isn’t exactly true, as shown by the 17000 fan swing over the last 8 years, that doesn’t mean they aren’t followed by a superb support though

Fair play mate, I appreciate the reply ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Or........ the top 3 go up! 

I always disagree with this on the basis that play offs keep the season interesting for more teams for longer. If it was the top 3 only, the amount of teams that would just 'give up; with 10 games to play because they are 'mathematically' away from promotion.

Why anyone would want to change the format of a league where with 3 games to go every club in the league could either be mathematically promoted (via play offs) or relegated is beyond me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Would be a travesty for Brentford to end up in the play off and lose to Cardiff 11 points behind them and a GD swing of -36 on Brentford . My Son just came up with a great shout . 1 extra point awarded at the end of the season for each block of +10 GD you end up on . Much like Rugby’s bonus points for try’s scored . At plus 43 The Bees would get 4 extra points to award their attacking football compared to WBA’s 3 seeing the Bees go up ! Would be a great way to reward attacking football and would stop sides killing the game when 2-0 up for example . Won’t happen but would be a great idea in my view . 

That would leave city in about 16th then because surely you would have to deduct points to teams with a -goal difference,joking aside I’ve always gone by the team that loses the least deserve to go up

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Spud55 said:

They have lost their best players every season, so no, they will built and go again, that is their model, they recruit incredibly well. Frank has made them into a side that can defend so they can probably deal with losing one or two of the front 3 as long as they replace with decent quality. 

I would expect them to be very strong next season if they don't go up. 

Think best for us is if Brentford and then one of WBA and Fulham go up. 

Villa will be a mess and will ahveto have a firesale to cover their losses, as Grealish will leave, Norwich will be strong and Bournemouth could be a mess as well. 

The next few weeks is absolutely massive for us, as next year's Championship could well be weaker than this year's. 

From a selfish standpoint. Fulham and Brentford to stay down please. Best away days for us. 

Bournemouth ain’t relegated yet. Out of the three candidates they are by far the strongest team and with the best manager imo. If they do come down, they will be the hardest to beat of the three relegated teams and most likely to bounce back. 

Norwich could struggle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, RedRock said:

From a selfish standpoint. Fulham and Brentford to stay down please. Best away days for us. 

Bournemouth ain’t relegated yet. Out of the three candidates they are by far the strongest team and with the best manager imo. If they do come down, they will be the hardest to beat of the three relegated teams and most likely to bounce back. 

Norwich could struggle. 

Bournemough could be strong. Could- but their TV revenue/revenue ratio is quite something. Wages/turnover...who knows how many they will have to sell- remember their turnover outside of TV...They may have a big FFP headache- losing £30m and maybe more in 2018/19 in the PL is NOT a good starting point.

Agree they aren't down yet- who knows how committed Everton and Southampton will be, just drifting and safe respectively- Bournemouth OTOH 2nd half vs Leicester once they clicked were very good.

Norwich, it's hard to say. They seem quite well adjusted to bouncing between the two Leagues, have 50% salary cuts already in from next season, useful financial position- are they weaker than two seasons ago? Doubtful! Will they really lose anyone- revenue streams outside of TV are better than Bournemouth- FFP again.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

And every other club keeps their attendance's up all the time?

We have a good number fan base but it is not immune against bad performances. We dropped from 25,000/30,000 to 4,000 between 1978 and 1982!

Neither is any club when bad times come. I'm not a lover of Leeds but their support has held up extremely well during almost two decades of poor results when compared with their last First Division title in 1992 (?)

In fairness, that was a perfect storm historically speaking.

For us on the pitch- and the country off it, plus fears about hooliganism.

We were particularly badly hit but if you look at attendances from say late 1970s-mid 1980s, there's a precipitous drop broadly speaking!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Red Exile said:

hmmm...I'm not sure I read much more than frustration in this thread - and good wishes to Brentford who are a well run club, and indeed good wishes and a bit jealousy towards a succession of well run clubs who have overtaken City in that 40 year search for a return to the top flight. I share that frustration, those 40 years are my entire adult life.

Steve Lansdown became our Chairman in October 2002. It's been his show for 18 years now. For all his money, for all his 'projects', he's not been a success when it comes to on-pitch success when judged against others facing the same challenges at Burnley, Hull, Swansea etc etc.

I don't think running a football club is easy. The evidence suggests that Steve doesn't either. 

 

 

You should go through each case study of clubs, example wise etc- each one has a different backstory from behind or alongside us to overtaking.

Point is, there's no magic bullet- none at all! Did we miss the boat at certain times? Quite possibly!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Going to tune in to watch them now. 
 

Was going through their top goal scorers on bbc. Think it is all competitions but their front 3 has 57 goals.
 

Checked ours and our entire team has 60. Out of those 60, 11 were from defenders. 
 

Our top scorers are fam and weimann with 22 between them. Our next 3 all have January in common. Paterson has 6 goals which is an impressive haul for half a season since he was recalled in January. Wells with 5 who arrived in January and Brownhill with 5 who left in January. 
 

Thought it was all quite interesting. Shows how brilliant Brentford are. Shows how poor we have been as an attacking side

Yet, yet- in terms of creation maybe but in terms of conversion rate, what I might also call efficiency- it's been quite decent tbh! Stats bear this out.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of their worst displays that one.

I had a feeling it might be tricky but didn't forsee a loss- a draw would have done them just fine with bottom placed Barnsley at home on Wednesday- it's playoffs for them now surely, can't see West Brom slipping up.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RedRock said:

From a selfish standpoint. Fulham and Brentford to stay down please. Best away days for us. 

Bournemouth ain’t relegated yet. Out of the three candidates they are by far the strongest team and with the best manager imo. If they do come down, they will be the hardest to beat of the three relegated teams and most likely to bounce back. 

Norwich could struggle. 

With Norwich I think it comes down to who they lose and how much revenue from sales/parachute payments the manager is allowed to re-invest (I suspect not a lot). I could see Pukki for instance interesting the likes of Leeds - 11 goals this season in a struggling side is not a bad return.

 I can see them treading water for a year or two while they bring through a new crop of young players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

With Norwich I think it comes down to who they lose and how much revenue from sales/parachute payments the manager is allowed to re-invest (I suspect not a lot). I could see Pukki for instance interesting the likes of Leeds - 11 goals this season in a struggling side is not a bad return.

 I can see them treading water for a year or two while they bring through a new crop of young players.

Bournemouth could be the same and may end up selling their better players and could go back to being a championship / League on every club within a couple of years. Norwich are a typical yo yo club well managed, well supported and always seem to bounce back fairly quickly 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

With Norwich I think it comes down to who they lose and how much revenue from sales/parachute payments the manager is allowed to re-invest (I suspect not a lot). I could see Pukki for instance interesting the likes of Leeds - 11 goals this season in a struggling side is not a bad return.

 I can see them treading water for a year or two while they bring through a new crop of young players.

Idk something isn’t right there imo. Since the new year they have been outstandingly dreadful. Then since lockdown possibly worse. Then you get yesterday’s performance and it feels like Farke has lost the respect of those players. 
 

Do they keep him around? Well if they do I am not sure it goes as well as their last championship campaign. 
 

Do they get rid and bring someone else in? If they do there is less of a preseason and less of a rest. So less time to teach their way of play. Can bring that back to us and feel like we are taking too long to appoint someone. We needed to give someone as much time as possible. Now at best gets a game with nothing on the line to assess players and get some ideas in. 
 

Then you get to their best players. Buendia been linked with Atletico. Godfrey with Dortmund. Cantwell rated highly after this season. Aarons consistently linked with top 6 clubs. These aren’t little clubs their players are being linked with. It will definitely turn heads if they are not allowed to move. That one we will have to see how it plays out. The pandemic may help them in this case as they can say clubs weren’t offering them as much as they would. A player could accept that I would think. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Would be a travesty for Brentford to end up in the play off and lose to Cardiff 11 points behind them and a GD swing of -36 on Brentford . My Son just came up with a great shout . 1 extra point awarded at the end of the season for each block of +10 GD you end up on . Much like Rugby’s bonus points for try’s scored . At plus 43 The Bees would get 4 extra points to award their attacking football compared to WBA’s 3 seeing the Bees go up ! Would be a great way to reward attacking football and would stop sides killing the game when 2-0 up for example . Won’t happen but would be a great idea in my view . 

Better to have a bonus point if you score 4 goals in a game

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk something isn’t right there imo. Since the new year they have been outstandingly dreadful. Then since lockdown possibly worse. Then you get yesterday’s performance and it feels like Farke has lost the respect of those players. 
 

Do they keep him around? Well if they do I am not sure it goes as well as their last championship campaign. 
 

Do they get rid and bring someone else in? If they do there is less of a preseason and less of a rest. So less time to teach their way of play. Can bring that back to us and feel like we are taking too long to appoint someone. We needed to give someone as much time as possible. Now at best gets a game with nothing on the line to assess players and get some ideas in. 
 

Then you get to their best players. Buendia been linked with Atletico. Godfrey with Dortmund. Cantwell rated highly after this season. Aarons consistently linked with top 6 clubs. These aren’t little clubs their players are being linked with. It will definitely turn heads if they are not allowed to move. That one we will have to see how it plays out. The pandemic may help them in this case as they can say clubs weren’t offering them as much as they would. A player could accept that I would think. 

Job for LJ ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Major Isewater said:

Job for LJ ?

I think LJ will be linked with bigger clubs than the one he just left. He may not get them but imagine his name will pop up and surprise us when there is an opening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think LJ will be linked with bigger clubs than the one he just left. He may not get them but imagine his name will pop up and surprise us when there is an opening. 

I don't.

The football world will have noted the performances of his team - very often dreadful - and therefore see through the occasional ridiculous media hype when he was going through one of his rare purple patches.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't.

The football world will have noted the performances of his team - very often dreadful - and therefore see through the occasional ridiculous media hype when he was going through one of his rare purple patches.

Out of likes. Almost wrote exactly the same thing myself. If LJ has a good agent he'll be liked in the press. But his national reputation was built on a single cup run - the Carabao Cup at that - quite some time ago. I'd have thought half the managers in the Championship have a better chance than LJ of landing a higher level job than Bristol City.

I see LJ enjoying a sort of Mark Cooper/Karl Robinson career if he sticks in management. He'd fit in well at somewhere like MK Dons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't.

The football world will have noted the performances of his team - very often dreadful - and therefore see through the occasional ridiculous media hype when he was going through one of his rare purple patches.

 

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Out of likes. Almost wrote exactly the same thing myself. If LJ has a good agent he'll be liked in the press. But his national reputation was built on a single cup run - the Carabao Cup at that - quite some time ago. I'd have thought half the managers in the Championship have a better chance than LJ of landing a higher level job than Bristol City.

I see LJ enjoying a sort of Mark Cooper/Karl Robinson career if he sticks in management. He'd fit in well at somewhere like MK Dons.

Idk. We saw LJ every week. Everyone else doesn’t. What everyone can see is the cup run and that he improved Bristol City’s league position every year bar his final one. They will see the names of the players under him that ended up premier league players. I think the consensus among most of the average fans of other clubs is that he is a good manager and maybe we were hasty in sacking him. Obviously he has to convince football people he is a good manager not fans but I don’t think the feelings of this forum are close to how he is thought of around the rest of the country. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

 

Idk. We saw LJ every week. Everyone else doesn’t. What everyone can see is the cup run and that he improved Bristol City’s league position every year bar his final one. They will see the names of the players under him that ended up premier league players. I think the consensus among most of the average fans of other clubs is that he is a good manager and maybe we were hasty in sacking him. Obviously he has to convince football people he is a good manager not fans but I don’t think the feelings of this forum are close to how he is thought of around the rest of the country. 

LJ is a good manager. The question is at what level in football. OK we had a good cup run but that was a couple of years ago. OK we gradually improved on our league positions.

I think he peaked at BCFC and did not quite have the quality, people skills, knowledge etc To take the club further.

Hopefully he will achieve his expectations and good luck to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think LJ will be linked with bigger clubs than the one he just left. He may not get them but imagine his name will pop up and surprise us when there is an opening. 

I think LJ was always tainted by his time as a player with us. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he gets linked with ‘bigger’ clubs such as Fulham if they don’t go up and Crystal Palace.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bournemough could be strong. Could- but their TV revenue/revenue ratio is quite something. Wages/turnover...who knows how many they will have to sell- remember their turnover outside of TV...They may have a big FFP headache- losing £30m and maybe more in 2018/19 in the PL is NOT a good starting point.

Agree they aren't down yet- who knows how committed Everton and Southampton will be, just drifting and safe respectively- Bournemouth OTOH 2nd half vs Leicester once they clicked were very good.

Norwich, it's hard to say. They seem quite well adjusted to bouncing between the two Leagues, have 50% salary cuts already in from next season, useful financial position- are they weaker than two seasons ago? Doubtful! Will they really lose anyone- revenue streams outside of TV are better than Bournemouth- FFP again.

The challenge for all relegated teams is how they replace their “stars” who sign for other clubs with the same quality without overpaying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

 

Idk. We saw LJ every week. Everyone else doesn’t. What everyone can see is the cup run and that he improved Bristol City’s league position every year bar his final one. They will see the names of the players under him that ended up premier league players. I think the consensus among most of the average fans of other clubs is that he is a good manager and maybe we were hasty in sacking him. Obviously he has to convince football people he is a good manager not fans but I don’t think the feelings of this forum are close to how he is thought of around the rest of the country. 

Well, for all that he had his critics on here he was given a free pass by many others. I struggle to think what in his record would attract a club at a higher level than Bristol City but you may, of course, be right. Time will tell!

I'm looking forward to the appointment of a less divisive manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RedRock said:

With Bournemouth and Villa, if they breached FFP regulations for the Championship, anyone know if it’s likely that the League will penalise them if they get relegated? 

Bournemouth paid a fine in relation to their breach when they got promoted

  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Well, for all that he had his critics on here he was given a free pass by many others. I struggle to think what in his record would attract a club at a higher level than Bristol City but you may, of course, be right. Time will tell!

I'm looking forward to the appointment of a less divisive manager.

Keep in mind I am not disagreeing about LJ. I don’t think he should be in a bigger job. Just think he will be linked with bigger jobs

  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Keep in mind I am not disagreeing about LJ. I don’t think he should be in a bigger job. Just think he will be linked with bigger jobs

Maybe, but being 'linked' is a world away from a club being genuinely interested.

Just look how many are being linked to the City job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...