IGNORED

Endless problems with the clubs social media output

Southstandoriginal

46 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a shame Tim because I feel they need to have genuine fans in the customer facing side of the football club (comms, announcer/DJ). All of you were (Adam B, Dave L etc) and for one reason or another have been replaced with people who aren't. That doesn't make sense to me and seems counterproductive.

It may seem small in the scheme of things but you associate the music someone in your role did with periods of watching us play. I still associate songs such as Hi Ho Silver Lining, The Liquidator, Rockin' All Over The World from my first seasons of watching (from around 06ish) and songs like Pendulum - Slam, Muse - Knights of Cydonia with different eras on the pitch. I even remember the songs I wasn't so keen on (Elbow pre match! ?) but that's all part of the fun.

I think the current group in those roles are a huge downgrade and most people agree.

I saw Ben Prater from BBC Bristol being critical of the social media team’s approach to the other day. It’s not just us forum nerds noticing it.

They went for “professional” rather than those with a deep love for the club. I can see the clubs dilemma when fans are demanding a polished media product from the club.

Downsy is a professional presenter. Very comfortable in front of a camera - could Tim S have done that job?

Dave Barton worked for England RFU and the British Lions. 

They definitely haven’t got it all right. It all feels too corporate to me, and the in-house media should be judged for what it is. There will never be any criticism of what the club does, and it’ll be ladelled with positive messages. 

It’s why the role of the local media is so important still. Someone has to hold people to account. 

1 hour ago, eric04 said:

They went for “professional” rather than those with a deep love for the club. I can see the clubs dilemma when fans are demanding a polished media product from the club.

Downsy is a professional presenter. Very comfortable in front of a camera - could Tim S have done that job?

They definitely haven’t got it all right. It all feels too corporate to me, and the in-house media should be judged for what it is. There will never be any criticism of what the club does, and it’ll be ladelled with positive messages. 

It’s why the role of the local media is so important still. Someone has to hold people to account. 

Downsy is professional but inappropriate for the audience I feel. I have given him the benefit of the doubt, but 4 years on and he’s still not right. There’s surely someone better.

1 hour ago, eric04 said:

The media content can be very good.

But there are other aspects, especially Twitter where I think they miss the mark.

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The media content can be very good.

But there are other aspects, especially Twitter where I think they miss the mark.

Polished perhaps but a long way from good.  I'd rather it was interesting and honest than just well produced.

9 hours ago, eric04 said:

Earning a living from a job doesn't make you a professional. Downsey is an embarrassment and should be working a kids club at Pontins 

I don’t think the ‘joke’ itself was a bad one. 
But it was just totally irrelevant. 
If Leeds were even remotely a rival of ours, then it might’ve hit a sweeter spot. It was almost trying to feign some kind of fake rivalry, as if we’d pushed them all the way to the title. 
If it had been posted by West Brom’s account, you could understand it. 
As it was, it was an irrelevance, which therefore made it look unfunny and unprofessional, and quite frankly, yes - tinpot! 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think the ‘joke’ itself was a bad one. 
But it was just totally irrelevant. 
If Leeds were even remotely a rival of ours, then it might’ve hit a sweeter spot. It was almost trying to feign some kind of fake rivalry, as if we’d pushed them all the way to the title. 
If it had been posted by West Brom’s account, you could understand it. 
As it was, it was an irrelevance, which therefore made it look unfunny and unprofessional, and quite frankly, yes - tinpot! 

100%. It was trying too hard. 

The Come Dine With Me meme is far too old really and we were hardly competiting with Leeds. 

Finger well off the pulse here. They need to do content for Bristol City fans, not for likes. 

On 17/07/2020 at 22:28, Wade Wilson said:

It’s what brands do on Twitter nowadays. They’re all trying to be relatable. From Netflix, to Wendy’s, to KFC, they all want those elusive likes. Sometimes the football side can be alright when they (and by they, I mean the Germans) act like actual funny human beings as opposed to the “Let’s be funny!” that it feels like our Twitter is. I don’t hate that clubs have started to do this, as it can be bloody funny but I think we do try a bit *too* hard. I have no idea who runs our account (Dave? That Ryan Guy? Side note, the kids etc in the replies who call Admin by name are just as bad as Admin himself) but if it is a middle aged bloke it feels like it. Half the time it’s like your dad trying to relay a joke, you know the spirits there but he mucked up the execution. Our account should be run by a 20/30 something who’s actually both funny and good at tweeting about football. Most of these accounts are run by people around my age (28). Obviously with the wide range of ages in our fanbase, and particularly on here, the “funny” posts are always gonna split the crowd. That being said this Leeds post made my arsehole cringe. 

This guy gets it.

This is what social media is now. You can accept it or not, but this what it is. Its corporations and companies chasing likes. Thats all it is. Somehow, it is now all about social media now for all companies. Hence why you see them go SUPER WOKE SUPER instantly, no matter how hypocritical that makes the vast majority of them.

It appears as though social media likes is the be all and end all of marketing to most companies this day and age sadly. They are wrong mind. Long term, its very wrong for alot of them. But thats how it is, and thats why we have to put up with this garbage from Bristol City. 

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

This guy gets it.

This is what social media is now. You can accept it or not, but this what it is. Its corporations and companies chasing likes. Thats all it is. Somehow, it is now all about social media now for all companies. Hence why you see them go SUPER WOKE SUPER instantly, no matter how hypocritical that makes the vast majority of them.

It appears as though social media likes is the be all and end all of marketing to most companies this day and age sadly. They are wrong mind. Long term, its very wrong for alot of them. But thats how it is, and thats why we have to put up with this garbage from Bristol City. 

Classic shock jock radio tactics. 
People hate them, but listen longer than those who like them because they want to hear what they’re going to say next. Robbie Savage is making a career out of that tactic, and sadly others are trying to copy him. 

Same rule applies in social media. 

2 minutes ago, eric04 said:

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

The key to good broadcasting (and that's exactly what tweeting is, albeit not in the traditional sense) is saying the right thing, in the right way at the right time. It's as simple as that.

And that generally means not desperately trying to be funny every day.

That's exactly it. They could very easily generate the engagement they're looking for with quality factual content, behind the scenes extras and occasional well timed humour that resonates with the audience.

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

This guy gets it.

Totally agree it’s the way things are going, but it doesn’t have to be garbage. You can go viral without putting out some of the stuff we produce, as various other clubs have shown.

Today's contribution:

No disrespect intended to Palmer but why post this? It's clearly only going to descend into an argument between people who don't rate Palmer and people who don't rate the last manager for not playing Palmer.

I get they want content, follows and discussion but why go for things that are just invitations to people to slag off players who've not yet made an impact?

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Today's contribution:

No disrespect intended to Palmer but why post this? It's clearly only going to descend into an argument between people who don't rate Palmer and people who don't rate the last manager for not playing Palmer.

I get they want content, follows and discussion but why go for things that are just invitations to people to slag off players who've not yet made an impact?

And, Christ, they’ve deleted it now. 

Meanwhile, in Germany 

16 minutes ago, Judda said:

Official site has been a bit slow at times but now they're posting things in the future!

Screenshot_20200728-070530_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is it still run by the club or is it a web host,

If its a Web host, then they've jumped the gun,

If its the club then someone needs to get out 

10 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

"a case of so-nearly for City"?

No it wasn't. We fell well short.

No we fell short, we finally said good bye to the playoffs with the Swansea defeat 

20 minutes ago, Judda said:

Official site has been a bit slow at times but now they're posting things in the future!

Screenshot_20200728-070530_Samsung Internet.jpg

Did you get to the bit about a new manager? Might be worth a wager if so! That is, if you can still put a bet on said manager. COYR 

Archived