IGNORED

The Lansdown stand

Shaun Taylor

I've been to Ashton Gate numerous times over the years and used to love the atmosphere whether I was with the Swindon fans or as a neutral in the old west stand and although the Lansdown stand and it's facilities looks fantastic is it too big as I've read many times on here that it can be quiet and is the hardest stand to sell out which could also be down to pricing or distance away from the pitch

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I've been to Ashton Gate numerous times over the years and used to love the atmosphere whether I was with the Swindon fans or as a neutral in the old west stand and although the Lansdown stand and it's facilities looks fantastic is it too big as I've read many times on here that it can be quiet and is the hardest stand to sell out which could also be down to pricing or distance away from the pitch

It was pretty loud when we beat Man Utd!  What was the difference?  More people were singing!  It’s nothing to do with the stand size.

38 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

No different to most other grounds nowadays

Spot on. We’re no better or worse than most other clubs in the league.

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Weirdly sounds quite a good atmosphere sometimes when watching games back. At the ground doesn't so much. But then doesn't really seem much different to the 90s to me.

Probably more to do with microphone placement?

In the ground I’ve sat in the Lansdown and it’s been quiet but you can hear S82 almost like a large section of away fans. I’ve had an ST in the Dolman and the atmosphere seems much better probably due to being closer to that corner. As mentioned  above this is similar at most grounds where there is one main ‘end’ which makes 90% of the noise.

The upper Lansdown does tend to be the last to sell for games where crowds are close to capacity. It’s also incredibly expensive, if I remember correctly last time it cost me £42 for an adult ticket and my son and his friends ticket wasn’t much cheaper. It’s a fantastic view but you feel detached from the rest of the ground and the atmosphere up there is dead.

However, we do need that extra capacity for a reasonably good Championship season and if, by some miracle, we ever make it back to the top flight so it’s not ‘too big’ but it’s not the greatest matchday experience for traditional football fans.

39 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

No different to most other grounds nowadays, the souls been ripped out of football 

I would imagine if someone was to check the demographics in the 80s and compare them to the 00 they would see a gradual change of the 13 to 25s year old becoming the 33 to 45 year old without being replaced by as many 13 to 25 year olds.

Football has become a sport for families and the over 50s to watch with some small exceptions. Hardly likely to create the best atmosphere in the world.

There are some clubs that seem to break that, ironically the ones with the better atmospheres (shocking) - Leeds seem to have quite an excitable younger fan base despite being out of the prem for years.

I've only ever been in the Lansdown for cheap cup games (lower), and the England U21 game (*) (upper - bloody hell its steep up there!). So those games wouldn't be typical, and you get (for example) a mum taking their 10 year old boy to their first game because its affordable, bloke with a couple of kids who spend the entire first half asking if they can go over the park! I did feel slightly dis-associated from the games, and part of that would also have been due to the extra space and distance from the pitch, especially in the upper Lansdown. Call me old fashioned but I like the safety of being forced to wedge my knees into the edges of the seat in front that you can still get in the Dolman.

(*I don't know why most of the people around me turned up for the England game as they were treating it like they were watching something on tv that they were slightly interested in.)

25 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It was pretty loud when we beat Man Utd!  What was the difference?  More people were singing!  It’s nothing to do with the stand size.

Yes it was defiantly loud against United on TV plus it was a night game which always seems to be better. 

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Weirdly sounds quite a good atmosphere sometimes when watching games back. At the ground doesn't so much. But then doesn't really seem much different to the 90s to me.

Agree, always sounds a better atmosphere on tv.

It's hardly a shocking revelation that the more expensive/corporate area of a ground attract the more sedate section of the support. 

Same as in most stadiums. 

What the Lansdown stand DOES offer is increased capacity, excellent non match day revenue streams and is a stand that many fans of clubs, far "bigger" than ours are very complimentary about. 

The views are excellent. The leg room is comfortable and the overall aesthetic is visually pleasing. 

There is literally nothing wrong with the stand. Yes it would improve the atmosphere if it had the more cardcore element of support in there, which they could do, but they tend to opt for the cheaper areas of the ground. 

Now clearly size doesn't matter, because the County Ground is small, crumbling and generally quite vile, yes once away from the car park, where they like to try and attack innocent families, the Swindon fans go rather quiet once inside the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Yes it was defiantly loud against United on TV plus it was a night game which always seems to be better. 

I think it would have been pretty loud on a Sunday lunchtime, or any other time we might have been beating Man Utd. 

What was the county ground like when you last beat Man Utd...?! 

We need to take the opportunity now with no fans in the ground to rip down the Atyeo. Install rail seating in a new end and we will improve atmosphere which will knock on to the Lansdown. That stand is often quiet due to corporates and family area but it can be really loud with sound rolling down from the top.

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's hardly a shocking revelation that the more expensive/corporate area of a ground attract the more sedate section of the support. 

Same as in most stadiums. 

What the Lansdown stand DOES offer is increased capacity, excellent non match day revenue streams and is a stand that many fans of clubs, far "bigger" than ours are very complimentary about. 

The views are excellent. The leg room is comfortable and the overall aesthetic is visually pleasing. 

There is literally nothing wrong with the stand. Yes it would improve the atmosphere if it had the more cardcore element of support in there, which they could do, but they tend to opt for the cheaper areas of the ground. 

Now clearly size doesn't matter, because the County Ground is small, crumbling and generally quite vile, yes once away from the car park, where they like to try and attack innocent families, the Swindon fans go rather quiet once inside the ground. 

I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with the stand more the opposite and something we can only dream of but I had heard previously from a few that had sat in there that it wasn't a sexy loud asmthe Dolman and that it was quite away from the pitch depending on where you were sat.

i couldn't agree more that the county ground is small, crumbling and run down but still much better than what your neighbours got and it does create a good atmosphere when there's a decent away following. As for the attacking innocent fans that's something I wouldn't be aware of so can't comment 

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

No different to most other grounds nowadays, the souls been ripped out of football 

What? When the Gate is full & we are doing well it rocks still?  It is not a soulless bowl like St Mary’s or Majeski but still a proper stadium.  this view is echoed by visiting fans and pundits alike.  I think issue is too often what has been on display has sent most fans to sleep over the last few years. Barring cup runs. 
naahhh. Ashton Gate is still a real football stadium. Shame perhaps only 5k (to start) in when crowds return 

6 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

What? When the Gate is full & we are doing well it rocks. It is not a soulless bowl like St Mary’s or Majeski but still a proper stadium.  this view is echoed by visiting fans and pundits alike. 

This is all true as well but is also not unique to us. The football being played on the pitch has a huge effect on the crowd which has frustrated me during Johnson’s time. In spells it’s been brilliant, at other times it’s been dross.

In general whilst browsing other forums I’ve found opposing fans to be very complimentary of Ashton Gate, and yes, it is a proper stadium with over a century of history. 

It's more down to the age demographic, being the most expensive stand it tends to attract a how shall we put it a more mature fan

14 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with the stand more the opposite and something we can only dream of but I had heard previously from a few that had sat in there that it wasn't a sexy loud asmthe Dolman and that it was quite away from the pitch depending on where you were sat.

i couldn't agree more that the county ground is small, crumbling and run down but still much better than what your neighbours got and it does create a good atmosphere when there's a decent away following. As for the attacking innocent fans that's something I wouldn't be aware of so can't comment 

Like any club Swindon Town have their small core of idiots, but I can assure you the poster was right on numerous occasions me and my friends have had to run the gauntlet outside whilst being pelted with coins bottles etc again it's a small minority.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

It's more down to the age demographic, being the most expensive stand it tends to attract a how shall we put it a more mature fan

Like any club Swindon Town have their small core of idiots, but I can assure you the poster was right on numerous occasions me and my friends have had to run the gauntlet outside whilst being pelted with coins bottles etc again it's a small minority.

Fair point you make although I've never witnessed that and not nice to hear 

20 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

What? When the Gate is full & we are doing well it rocks still?  It is not a soulless bowl like St Mary’s or Majeski but still a proper stadium.  this view is echoed by visiting fans and pundits alike.  I think issue is too often what has been on display has sent most fans to sleep over the last few years. Barring cup runs. 
naahhh. Ashton Gate is still a real football stadium. Shame perhaps only 5k (to start) in when crowds return 

Ashton gate doesn’t rock anymore not even when we’re doing well, out of interest when did you start watching city ?

Only been in the upper tier once and it was bloody cold up there and over 100 steps was quite a climb.  It would have taken too long to get down and back up again during half time.

From up there, the Dolman Stand looks very small and the Atyeo looks like a shed. For me, there was no atmosphere and too far away from the pitch for my failing eyesight.

TBH, the pricing seems about as steep as the stand. I'm not really sure what justification there is for it costing any more than for a ticket in the Dolman.

I'm really looking forward to when we get to the Prem and fill the ground for every game and when we can redevelop the Atyeo and add a second tier to the South stand.  Then the stadium will really look fantastic as we host Barca or Real in the last 8 of the Champions League.

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It’s certainly not too big. We are a club striving for promotion and when pushing at this level we don’t have any problems getting 24-26 k through the turnstiles. IF we ever reach the Premier League we would have a real issue with the capacity at Ashton Gate being too small to be honest. With most teams in the Prem bringing 2.5 k away fans your only left with 24 ish k saleable home tickets - not enough for the demand there will be.

The Atyeo is still crying out to be rebuilt IMO. 

Always remember mid 70s when i was a young tean and always watched from the east end and later went up market to the enclosure in front of the grand stand which was a great spot as if it pi$#ed down we would all pile backwards up against the rear wall and it kept us out of the rain.

i went back last year and sat in the Lansdown stand, great view but atmosphere totally crap.

the lansdown stand all though looks good and the stadium looks good but the atmosphere is crap. Even if we were winning and did get to the prem the gate is not a fortress that it was many years ago due to it being a stadium and not a home support base where when we used to sing our hearts out the east end and the old open end could be heard. Even the Dolman could get us all going.

I hope those memories come back very soon.

the question is if we were in the prem would the atmosphere be as good as it was in the late 70s.

Just remembered the “crazy corner” in the open end. It was close to the Dolman 

Archived