IGNORED

The Lansdown stand

Shaun Taylor

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

It’s certainly not too big. We are a club striving for promotion and when pushing at this level we don’t have any problems getting 24-26 k through the turnstiles. IF we ever reach the Premier League we would have a real issue with the capacity at Ashton Gate being too small to be honest. With most teams in the Prem bringing 2.5 k away fans your only left with 24 ish k saleable home tickets - not enough for the demand there will be.

The Atyeo is still crying out to be rebuilt IMO. 

I know it's been mentioned before but I would stick the away fans up in the Lansdown like Newcastle do and claim back the Atyeo which does create a good atmosphere 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Always remember mid 70s when i was a young tean and always watched from the east end and later went up market to the enclosure in front of the grand stand which was a great spot as if it pi$#ed down we would all pile backwards up against the rear wall and it kept us out of the rain.

i went back last year and sat in the Lansdown stand, great view but atmosphere totally crap.

the lansdown stand all though looks good and the stadium looks good but the atmosphere is crap. Even if we were winning and did get to the prem the gate is not a fortress that it was many years ago due to it being a stadium and not a home support base where when we used to sing our hearts out the east end and the old open end could be heard. Even the Dolman could get us all going.

I hope those memories come back very soon.

the question is if we were in the prem would the atmosphere be as good as it was in the late 70s.

Just remembered the “crazy corner” in the open end. It was close to the Dolman 

Probably not unless you have big open terracing which isn't going to happen 

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's more down to the age demographic, being the most expensive stand it tends to attract a how shall we put it a more mature fan

Like any club Swindon Town have their small core of idiots, but I can assure you the poster was right on numerous occasions me and my friends have had to run the gauntlet outside whilst being pelted with coins bottles etc again it's a small minority.

For balance, as a teenager I went to Swindon v City (the game when Lee Miller I think missed a sitter in the last minute in front of the away end) on the train from Melksham with mates. On the train home we got set on by a group of City fans (despite a few of us being City the only ones wearing their “colours” were the Swindon lads).

this was my first experience of football-related violence, ironic that it came from my own fellow supporters!

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I'm really looking forward to when we get to the Prem and fill the ground for every game and when we can redevelop the Atyeo and add a second tier to the South stand.  Then the stadium will really look fantastic as we host Barca or Real in the last 8 of the Champions League.

It doesn't look like there is any infastructute in place to add a second tier to the South Stand, and you'll have the right to light issue with some houses at the end of Raynes Road. For similar reasons I don't think the Atyeo will ever get rebuilt in the manner we'd hope - unless we could compulsary purchase the houses on that block of Ashton Road, even then we'd probably have to provide at least as many equivalent new build houses. You'd start looking at costs of £15-20 million before you constucted a stand.

But I hope to be proved wrong!

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

For balance, as a teenager I went to Swindon v City (the game when Lee Miller I think missed a sitter in the last minute in front of the away end) on the train from Melksham with mates. On the train home we got set on by a group of City fans (despite a few of us being City the only ones wearing their “colours” were the Swindon lads).

this was my first experience of football-related violence, ironic that it came from my own fellow supporters!

I also heard about innocent Swindon fans getting attacked along Ashton Road in the 2014 so no clubs are exempt from idiots 

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

It’s certainly not too big. We are a club striving for promotion and when pushing at this level we don’t have any problems getting 24-26 k through the turnstiles. IF we ever reach the Premier League we would have a real issue with the capacity at Ashton Gate being too small to be honest. With most teams in the Prem bringing 2.5 k away fans your only left with 24 ish k saleable home tickets - not enough for the demand there will be.

The Atyeo is still crying out to be rebuilt IMO. 

Amazingly there are people who say Ashton Gate is big enough, yes if we have no ambition and you're right those same people will be complaining that they can't get a seat for love or money when we go up, there will be at least 6 or 7 occasions when we could sell 40,000 plus tickets if we can sell over 40,000 for the tin pot trophy imagine the scramble for tickets against Liverpool Arsenal etc.

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I've been to Ashton Gate numerous times over the years and used to love the atmosphere whether I was with the Swindon fans or as a neutral in the old west stand and although the Lansdown stand and it's facilities looks fantastic is it too big as I've read many times on here that it can be quiet and is the hardest stand to sell out which could also be down to pricing or distance away from the pitch

Bristol Sport particularly the ex WMP Herbert don't t want the sort of atmosphere you get at many other stadiums. Shutting Atyeo to home fans the final straw. 

Generally a library as chanted by most away fans. 

Lansdown is expensive too. 

We’ve moved back to the South Stand for next year, the atmosphere in the Lansdown is so diluted.

The view is great, but we lost count of the number of times in the last 2 seasons that people sat around us were on iPads watching something else, or asking “which colour are Bristol wearing?” Etc.

2 or 3 sets of day trippers actually left before half time, but that could be attributed to the quality of the football over the last couple of years more than anything.

The endless procession of people getting up for food and drinks or tantrums from disinterested children got annoying in the end.

1 minute ago, Oops said:

We’ve moved back to the South Stand for next year, the atmosphere in the Lansdown is so diluted.

The view is great, but we lost count of the number of times in the last 2 seasons that people sat around us were on iPads watching something else, or asking “which colour are Bristol wearing?” Etc.

2 or 3 sets of day trippers actually left before half time, but that could be attributed to the quality of the football over the last couple of years more than anything.

The endless procession of people getting up for food and drinks or tantrums from disinterested children got annoying in the end.

It’s a boring stand and too many stairs if you are an old fart like me. Bring back the enclosure and the grand stand. The lansdown stand is a total waste of space.

40 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That was always the problem when we played Swindon what with both sets of fans wearing red and white you didn't know who to punch (I'm joking) but a similar thing happened to me as well.

38 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I also heard about innocent Swindon fans getting attacked along Ashton Road in the 2014 so no clubs are exempt from idiots 

I live less than 500 yards away from the county ground. I’ve had numerous good hidings on non match days for wearing a city shirt. Never one on one. They hunt in packs. Last time granted was a few years ago but the odds were at least 15 of them and 2 of us. It wasn’t pretty ?

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's not though, is it?

It depends on your perceptions in regards to infrastructure or the original stand where atmosphere and the belonging of being a proud city supporter sitting in the old grand stand or standing in the enclosure in front will never be forgotten by most of us. 

Ashton Gate was home once and a fortress. Now its a stadium for corporate spenders.

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

Ashton gate doesn’t rock anymore not even when we’re doing well, out of interest when did you start watching city ?

1969 !  First ever game was v Hull and i think a 3 3 draw.  Football stadia has changed (in my view for the better) but I accept others will have different views. 

As I have advanced towards 'old git status' I would not welcome standing in an East End unable to move. Having said that I am a supporter of safe standing section and hope it happens for those who want it.

13 minutes ago, City exile 79 said:

I live less than 500 yards away from the county ground. I’ve had numerous good hidings on non match days for wearing a city shirt. Never one on one. They hunt in packs. Last time granted was a few years ago but the odds were at least 15 of them and 2 of us. It wasn’t pretty ?

Isn't that football thugs all over cowardly and never one on one and generally the biggest mob wins.

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Isn't that football thugs all over cowardly and never one on one and generally the biggest mob wins.

They do seem to spend rather a lot of their time not fighting the ones that want to - apparently - do likewise, and terrorising the ones that are obviously not interested. And then not writing about not fighting the fighting ones but bravely having a go at the non-fighting ones in the books they write.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with the stand more the opposite and something we can only dream of but I had heard previously from a few that had sat in there that it wasn't a sexy loud asmthe Dolman and that it was quite away from the pitch depending on where you were sat.

i couldn't agree more that the county ground is small, crumbling and run down but still much better than what your neighbours got and it does create a good atmosphere when there's a decent away following. As for the attacking innocent fans that's something I wouldn't be aware of so can't comment 

I think that we can all agree that compared to Rovers, you appear like a diamond crusted crown, sat seductively upon the head off a naked Rachel Riley...! 

7 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

They do seem to spend rather a lot of their time not fighting the ones that want to - apparently - do likewise, and terrorising the ones that are obviously not interested. And then not writing about not fighting the fighting ones but bravely having a go at the non-fighting ones in the books they write.

Commonly known as low life's!

One thing I never tire of, and it’s slightly off the actual subject of the thread, is driving down Coronation Road as you get to the sharp right turn heading towards the Portway and seeing the huge stand towering above the houses on Ashton Road. A very impressive sight.

Likewise the view from Winterstoke Road.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I know it's been mentioned before but I would stick the away fans up in the Lansdown like Newcastle do and claim back the Atyeo which does create a good atmosphere 

When we had the Atyeo as the home end, everyone used to moan that it wasn't very good for atmosphere..! 

Simple truth is that if people sing, it improves the atmosphere. But they only do it now and then. 

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

One thing I never tire of, and it’s slightly off the actual subject of the thread, is driving down Coronation Road as you get to the sharp right turn heading towards the Portway and seeing the huge stand towering above the houses on Ashton Road. A very impressive sight.

Likewise the view from Winterstoke Road.

Likewise when over looking the City from Brandon Hill 

Archived